The Corroboree
Lucifuge

Psychotria leaf propagation

I recently tried my hand at propagating psychotrias from leaf cuttings.

I tried it with 4 different plants – a nexus and 3 viridis (generic, shipibo, and brazil).

What I did was I picked some leaves off the plants, put some cutting powder on them (Yates cutting powder which contains indole acetic acid and naphthalene acetic acid). I then wrapped them in some wet paper towels and put them in some snaplock bags. I kept the bags in my house in a position where they’d get plenty of sunlight.

After a few weeks most of the nexus’ had sprouted roots and new shoots. However all of the viridis just went brown and mouldy.

I’ve since planted the nexus in some seedling trays with some coir, which I then put in a clear plastic box for the humidity. So I’ll see how they go. But does anyone have any advice on getting results with the viridis?

they all probagate, easy.

they are all called viridis, apart the nexus, which is a cross between chart and viridis, but it's very weak, compared to viridis.

what probably happend, was that your leaf that got brown, was much longer on the plant than, the others you used.

even fallen leaves can be producing, healthy clones, but it's not recomanded, use the biggest, thickerst, and most healthy looking leaves for probagation.

the ziplock bag medhode, is not recomanded, because of two reasons.

1, it increases the chance of rotting.

2, unless you, polarise the leave, correctly, and lean the ziplock bag upright, onto something (most people don't do so, big mistake) the roots will not be able to go downwards, and grow straight, but curl up. which is not good.

3, you have to handle a very young plant, to place it into a small pot.  planting the leaves into individual small pots, avoids replanting small fragile plants.

did you sterilise the leaves before, probagation?

hormone powder, is not needed, but used by most people.

did you cut the leaves, or crinkle them, or leave them as they, were when you picked them?

the usefullness of the methode of "wounding a cutting" seems to work well with psychotrias.

I'd been doing them with paper towel and a takeaway container on the windowsill and all have taken root.

You have me worried about the polarisation though

IMG20221217101516.jpg

I did stand the bags upright. But what does polarise mean?

I didn't sterilise the leaves. What is the best way to do that?

I left the leaves as they were when I picked them. I didn't cut or wound them, but I'll try that next.

Hello all, 
i got like 50 leafs , and tried a tek  ...
left in water for a month until the roots got big, and after planted in pots 
got nice results, and only lost one , that got brown and dead... 99% sucess
*** recomend glass cups, so we can wash , if you leave the same water for 15 days, will be some algae ...

IMG_6374.JPG

Captura de tela 2023-01-31 145750.jpg

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-07 at 10.28.57.jpeg

• Like 2

^ Looking good! What variety are they? And how long potted up until they kick off? 

Stuff I've rooted in water seems to root well in sphagnum moss as well, only the roots seem tougher and better adapted for soil than do water-roots. 

Any reason why laying the leaf segment flat on potted media (e.g. soil) wouldn't also work? That's a traditional method of cloning from a single leaf. Actually, I think you can get 2 plants from a single leaf that way. Depends on the species I think. Cloning from a single leaf doesn't work for all plants -- e.g. a certain Salvia, which grows roots but nothing further, in my experience.

10 minutes ago, fyzygy said:

^ Looking good! What variety are they? And how long potted up until they kick off? 

Stuff I've rooted in water seems to root well in sphagnum moss as well, only the roots seem tougher and better adapted for soil than do water-roots. 

Any reason why laying the leaf segment flat on potted media (e.g. soil) wouldn't also work? That's a traditional method of cloning from a single leaf. Actually, I think you can get 2 plants from a single leaf that way. Depends on the species I think. Cloning from a single leaf doesn't work for all plants -- e.g. a certain Salvia, which grows roots but nothing further, in my experience.

I think planting direct on soil would work with good results, but was my first attempt with the leafs I get as a gift, so I tried to lose as minimum as possible... 

Now I have many little bush's , so next time will be direct on soil, on a umid and shady area

I have also recently had succes rooting fallen leaves that came off during a storm ( i didnt want them to go to waste lol ) in the ''cup of water'' method.  The hit rate was poor though and i got 1 out of 5 to root.