The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Loph Growth Should I be Concerned?

I have 10 Lophs they are all very young under 2 years old and they are growing mostly as I expect them to.

However one is showing a strange growth and I was wondering if it was a concern.

It is growing like it is reenacting a scene from Aliens. 

IMG_0287.thumb.JPG.b99aec72b7a9d1128e99917b9bc07f8e.JPG

They are growing etiolated due to not having enough light... Increase sunlight or bring the light closer and it'll grow normally from the apex.

I feared as much - I have moved them into a spare room that has a large window that gets a good amount of light. Hopefully, it will be enough.

I have a problem of a young cat who loves to use the cactus stone beds as latrines. So I am restricted to where I can put it.

Also, the weather in Vic has been very wet and cold for the summer and I do not want to put them outside being so young.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

Even mature peyote doesn't like full sun, in my experience. Especially the hot afternoon sun. Morning sun works well, or dappled shade (they tend to crop up in the vicinity of sheltering shrubs, in the wild).

I think previous responder answers an earlier, related question of yours? The seedlings were lifting themselves up out of the growing medium?

Heliotropism, I think, is the technical term. Probably most terrestrial animals, too, exhibit some vestigial remnant thereof. (Have you ever gravitated to a warm sunny spot in the middle of winter? I've seen cats and dogs, but also snakes, do much the same).

Anyway, that's how I gauge whether a seedling needs more or less light, by the way that it leans into, or away from, the dominant light source. You'll see mature trichocereus columns do precisely the same thing. 

On 16/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, fyzygy said:

how I gauge whether a seedling needs more or less light, by the way that it leans into, or away from, the dominant light source.

To be honest only one of the lophs was showing this extreme vertical growth and it was straight up. Not bending in any direction.

The lophs are now in a room that does not get direct strong light, I will keep an eye on them.