The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
False Peyote

Origins of changa/inhaled xhuasca

Many of you have likely read Graham St John's stuff on this and/or heard JP's humble self spruiking, but there seems to be a lot of people who say they smoked changa before Julian claims to have discovered it.

If you've got an alternative account of how changa was discovered or if you tried the stuff before 2003 please let us know in this thread.

• Like 2

yeah, i invented changa like people even 1000's of years ago.

told me of pyrolised dmt, so i said to him, why not add an maoi.

i got the date, somewhere, written down as there (me guess 99), is a time before, you had dmt and after (a new timeframe).

• Like 2

I don’t recall seeing changa that far back. But we all know (or should know) that tryptamines crystallised on plant material for smoking is an idea that’s really been around for a while - e.g., 5MeO-DMT on parsley that was apparently in the US during the 70s and 80s. 

Edited by Yeti101

hi, yeti it was not around 99, but the question was when it was invented.

changa was probably manufactured in south america, 1000's of years ago, by accident, everytime, a ceramic pots content (when making aya), simmered down to a resin (by forgetting to take it of the heat).

and than when, cleaning the vessel, the residue of the latter was chucked onto charcoal.

• Like 1

t st tranta was the first person I heard that smoked MAOI's and it would have been around that time.  

Also you used to be able to purchase 2 different smoke mixes back then from my local herb shop. one was called Dream Time which later became Changa, the other was a 50 50 mix of caapi leaf and free base which got called Pau d'arco (name was used as a decoy) which I think was made by one of the guys before JP named Floyd. I don't take note and it's all from my memories so could be completely wrong.  

It''s not such a giant leap from smoking DMT to smoking an MAOI in combination. For those in the know. 

Acccording to (ahem) the Internet, [Nick Sand] was the first underground chemist to synthesize DMT rather than extracting it from natural sources, and the first person to discover that the DMT freebase could be smoked.

Whatever. I'm inclined towards withdrawl clinic's hypothesis. As good as any, despite Wikipedia and its leading authorities. 

Nick Sand is by no means the inferior candidate. http://psychedelicfrontier.com/just-wee-bit-more-dmt-nick-sand/ ... and I'm hooked, rather than trepidatious. 

Edited by fyzygy

A lot of this I think kind of talk is just a kind of variant of tall poppyism, just offhand comments like "nah man, it wasn't him, me and me mates were smoking that shit back in 96"

Maybe some people were smoking DMT with an MAO like ayahuasca vine or leaf before 2003. But I never actually heard anybody when presented with changa, say, "oh yeah, I've smoked DMT in a blend of herbs with an MAOI before!" or anything similar to that. It was just so new, that most people just didn't get it or initially just treated it as a curiosity.

For floyd and co, the ultimate DMT joint actually did have THC in it aka "the luxury joint"  I changed my definition of a luxury joint to contain primarily ayahuasca vine with no THC. Floyd and co got onto the 50/50 vine combo when dreamtime became a "thing".

There was one guy in europe, the main guy producing DMT for the scene there, in 2005 he was very skeptical about changa, but eventually came around and that became his thing. Before that, he was already sometimes soaking DMT in parsley.

Around that time, my friend showed some changa to the biggest psychedelic drug mafia in the Netherlands, and she said they didn't get it at all!

I got the idea for the mullein and mint from a guy who said they were the best herbs to smoke DMT with, but don't think he infused DMT into them. There were people doing stuff like this, you can read some rando internet reports about it, but it was just one off. There wasn't too much DMT going around in the early 2000's anyway, let along people infusing it into herbs or adding MAOI's.

Even at Enthnobotany 2 that Torsten organised in early 2002, the only DMT going around was from my friend Daryl who was switching on people. One of the people he turned on was Jeremy, who went on to find DMT in many species (including acuminata) in WA.

I remember Jenny from the states trying to buy DMT at intra cortex festival in 2003, and she said she could only find half a gram for some exhorbitant amount. I would go to psy festivals in 1999 and I was the only one with DMT there.

The main point is, there was a community of people around at the time who saw Changa emerge and become more popular and become a "thing", and that happened through my efforts all around the world.

Edited by folias
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 7:14 AM, folias said:

For floyd and co, the ultimate DMT joint actually did have THC in it aka "the luxury joint"  I changed my definition of a luxury joint to contain primarily ayahuasca vine with no THC. Floyd and co got onto the 50/50 vine combo when dreamtime became a "thing".

Edited by Fenris

The ultimate luxury joint, also known as the Jeffrey.

Weed mostly, got a bit of opium in it, some Heroin, crunched up E's, clorox, methadone, subutexMorphine, Peyote, Some other stuff that's unidentifiable, and I think a little bit of Angel Dust I think if I'm not mistaken. Keep it traditional.
Like a drug Neapolitan.