The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Nicotiana rustica Identification

Question

I bought some seeds from an online seller labelled Nicotiana rustica - for use in ritual cleansing.

now the single sample I have has small yellow flowers and smaller leaves however it is tall - I read and see that Nicotiana rustica is an annual herbaceous plant that grows up to 80 centimetres tall. However, mine is over 1.5 meters. So much that is bent over and needs to be stacked.

I will have to see if the seeds are tiny red-brown.

Did I get sold mislabeled goods?

00001.jpg

00002.jpg

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

I read and see that Nicotiana rustica is an annual herbaceous plant that grows up to 80 centimetres tall. However, mine is over 1.5 meters.

Recently I was investigating edible weeds, and found that sow-thistle grows to a height of 1 metre. But I had backyard specimens growing at least double that height!

Once your plant flowers, you might be able to get a better ID, even using an app like pl@ntnet. 

On 7/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, fyzygy said:

even using an app like pl@ntnet. 

I downloaded pl@ntnet.  took a photo of the flower and its top match was Nicotiana rustica 78% so I think we can be certain it is right. Looking at the photos it has the same edge profile flower petals. 

pl@ntnet. is slightly irritating it has no region or place called Australia just New Caledonia. A search for  Nicotiana rustica brings up zero matches but there are lots of photos of it once you upload a matching  Nicotiana rustica photo. 

3 minutes ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

Nicotiana rustica 78% so I think we can be certain it is right

I doubt that the app ever would return a 100% probability rating, for even the most common plants. Certainty no; probability yes. 

I think there is an option for user to contribute pictures of known-ID plants to the database, for better or worse. 
As with any GPS app, use with caution if your plant's location is sensitive information. 
There could be better plant ID apps out there, this one suited my budget and has proven useful, even to narrow down to a handful of candidate spp.