The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Khat seed

This lot of seed pods freshly harvested from old mother khat, unknown viability, PM if you'd care to try propagating and I will send you some.

Second pic. shows established clone, for reference.

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Edited by fyzygy
  • Like 1

Left to desiccate in a brown paper bag, some pods can be opened to reveal ... 2 seeds! Many pods are empty, it seems.

I am expecting one last batch of late-harvested seed. After that, who knows? The property on which the tree lives has been listed on the market.

IMG_1794.jpg

Those seeds are picked just a bit too early.  They need to brown and starting to split open. 

Edited by teamwhy

So the seeds inside won't be viable? Some of the pods were beginning to split, and others have darkened and begun to split open. An occasional seed has been released. There's another batch of seed, a few weeks' riper, but I haven't seen it yet. 

5 hours ago, teamwhy said:

Those seeds are picked just a bit too early.  They need to brown and starting to split open. 

I have harvested mine too early before. From my experience the seeds will be viable but for a bit shorter time.  And it also makes it harder to clean the seeds cos the samara tends to get stuck in the fruit. I find them a pain to clean anyways because they are so small, glasses on and good light helps. 

6 hours ago, teamwhy said:

And it also makes it harder to clean the seeds cos the samara tends to get stuck in the fruit.

Tell me about it!

Here's a pic of a new batch of seed from the same tree, harvested more recently. Some pods have turned brown, to the point of opening (with no seed remaining inside). There are plenty that have started to split open, with seed inside. 

I probably won't be able to harvest any more from this tree, as property it stands on has been listed on the market. 

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

Edited by fyzygy
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, teamwhy said:

harder to clean the seeds cos the samara tends to get stuck in the fruit

The split pods sometimes don't release their seed; these I put in a glass jar (with lid) and shake for a few seconds, sift out the loose seed, then repeat. Too much shaking tends to decimate the wings. The drier the pods, the easier. 

IMG_1875.thumb.jpg.e9ef5575fc75670a85d2a6c643963316.jpgIMG_1873.thumb.jpg.e9c0921bf8e9047c1f0c1f124ccc14ed.jpgIMG_1871.thumb.jpg.860f4bba4a09e784986feca141322487.jpg  These little seedlings were sprouted in a ziplock bag, definitely the fastest method I've tried. 

Lots of seed available. I even sold a bunch on eBay (in the day or two I had before eBay cancelled the listing. It's a cutthroat world, online selling.)

Asymmetrical seedlings ... only 2 of about 50 germinated like this. 

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

• Like 1