The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Sumatriptan Drug Reaction

I am having an interesting drug reaction.

I have had a migraine for the last week the first one I have ever had - today I went to the GP and was given Sumatriptan. 

As far as I understand Sumatriptan is a derivative of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine - and in some countries, it is regulated as an illicit narcotic due to abuse.

Interestingly in Australia, you can get two tablets over the counter without a script.

45 minutes after taking the Sumatriptan I started to have the first symptoms, - tingling off the skin, hot/cold skin sensations, and itching, severe enough to make me twitch in public.  People were looking at me like I was some kind of drug addict. I was feeling faint and wanted to sleep feeling terrible.

Called the nurse's helpline, and was told to go back to my GP, who gave me a steroid tablet I am feeling better four hours in but my heart is racing and feels under pressure. Still have strange skin sensations all over.

I was told that if my symptoms get worse I need to go to the hospital.

Now here is the question, Sumatriptan is a tryptamine it is basically the first half of ayahuasca all I would need is an MAOI.

My question is does my reaction to Sumatriptan (a tryptamine) possibly indicate a sensitivity to all tryptamines?

I have some experience with PEAs and had nothing negative from those experiences.

This is the first time ever that I have ever had a drug reaction of any kind. 

To be honest, it was kind of a fun experience, just strange skin sensations feeling odd all over.  A friend said I sounded high. Definitely felt up - buzzing. However, it could have been the skin stimulation irritation.

Thoughts?

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

5 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

Now here are some thoughts, Sumatriptan is a tryptamine it is basically the first half of ayahuasca all I would need is an MAOI.

Or have I got it completely wrong?

sumatriptan isn't DMT, it's just structurally similar... If you took an MAOI (BAD idea) with it then you'd basically just be increasing the risk of cardiac side effects. 

5 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

My question is does my reaction to Sumatriptan (a tryptamine) possibly indicate a sensitivity to all tryptamines?

I have some experience with PEA and had nothing negative from those experiences.

PEAs and tryptamines are different classes of drugs. IMO you can make no inferences regarding ur sensitivity to tryptamines from these sumatriptan side effects.

Edited by saguaro

3 hours ago, saguaro said:

IMO you can make no inferences regarding ur sensitivity to tryptamines from these sumatriptan side effects.

I am glad to hear this.

My fear was that my sensitivity to Sumatriptan a specific tryptamine compound would make me sensitive to the whole tryptamine family. 

Interesting that the human body can be so fine-grained in its responses to specific molecular structures. That moving a single atom in the structure is enough to cause a distinct reaction.

I just mentioned PEAs because I had no reaction to it and found it to be entheogenic. 

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

Interesting to hear you can now get it OTC. About 25 years ago I used to get it prescribed, and my doctor used to have to call to get special permission to even prescribe it. It was bout $50 for two tabs back then. It feels a bit like the come up on mushrooms or acid, not surprising as it's psilocybin analog.

did you have migraines or cluster headaches @Glaukus ?

Have you ever used mushrooms to treat them, and if so, were they more effective than sumatriptan?

Migraines. I had them from the age of about 9 until 13 regularly, like every 6 weeks. Completely debilitating. After that age, rarely. I've had maybe a handful in the last 36 years.

No, I never had regular access to mushrooms while I was experiencing them, and I haven't had a migraine in probably at least 10 years now.