The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Strontium Dawg

Urgent Harm minimisation alert

Torsten just posted this, please take note!

Urgent harm minimisation alert! 

I have just been made aware that there is a cluster of poppy seed poisonings caused by Hoyts poppy seeds (from woolies). One patient who was tested was found to have little morphine but large amounts of thebaine in their blood. Hospitalised after just 120g of poppy wash. 

It appears toxic thebaine poppy seeds have entered the food distribution network with dire consequences. This is probably not limited to Hoyts. 

Please share widely.

Edited by Glaukus
Topic heading
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have often seen clearly unwashed poppy seeds in health food shops etc that i assume are a by product from the tassie poppy fields, i dont know much about poppies but have heard the strains grown there for medical stuff can have a really high thebaine content?

Seems a dangerous game to play to go for seed tea when you don't know the strains they came from.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:21 PM, ZooL said:

I have often seen clearly unwashed poppy seeds in health food shops etc that i assume are a by product from the tassie poppy fields, i dont know much about poppies but have heard the strains grown there for medical stuff can have a really high thebaine content?

Seems a dangerous game to play to go for seed tea when you don't know the strains they came from.

Or possibly P. bracteatum seeds got in there also.

Edited by Glaukus
Spelling

Its definitely bad in Batch No 28622BN.  Had an unpleasant experience myself a week or so ago so went and checked the batch number after seeing it on Reddit.

Whether there's more bad batch numbers I don't know, hope not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cubism said:

Its definitely bad in Batch No 28622BN.  Had an unpleasant experience myself a week or so ago so went and checked the batch number after seeing it on Reddit.

Whether there's more bad batch numbers I don't know, hope not.

Stay safe bro.

We need good folks like you to stay with us.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:21 PM, ZooL said:

While there is still major stigma and lack of available support for people with opiate/opioid dependencies, it remains one of the options available that is affordable and keeps people away from dealers and possible legal troubles.

Generally, high thebaine strains are closely protected due to patents, so it's not expected for them to enter food chains. 

This is why harm minimisation is so important.

• Like 1

This is becoming a disaster, there are people in ICU and even more in emergency wards, please do not consume anything with poppy seed at the moment, even cakes etc. 

There are people in ICU and more turning up in emergency all the time.

Thebaine poisoning is likely from all poppyseed products right now.

• Like 2

Isn't food-grade poppy seed typically sourced from Hungarian blue poppies, and medicinal-grade from Papaver bracteatum? 

Maybe a shortage due to supply chain issues forced distributors to repackage industrial-medicinal seeds as food-grade? 

Are store-bought (food) seeds viable? 

Store bought seeds are often viable. 

Clearly something very wrong has occurred in supplying these seeds for food.

The advice from NSW health has been terrible, they stated seeds are safe to consume once cooked, this is definitely not true. Thebaine will not be destroyed by cooking temperature.

6 minutes ago, saguaro said:

Trust the science

The wording of their press release is likely to cause more harm. Because they dont mention Thebaine as the rogue alkaloid, their press release might be interpreted to mean there are batches of seeds that are stronger than usual for other alkaloids and people might seek these out.

I assume the objective of this press release is to inform people like users of PST, or people who would pass on the info about the risk of poisoning to PST users (like yourself). In that sense they should have mentioned all relevant info including that thebaine is the culprit. 

That said, it can't be easy to inform a broad audience about a drug, hoping the info gets where it needs to, whilst mitigating all harm. Eg., even though the press release and media coverage are hardly glowing reviews,  it wouldn't surprise me if some people become curious and try brewing it for the first time as a result.

It's a utilitarian choice on the part of NSW Health. Probably from their perspective it's the most likely way to dissuade people from doing it at all. Then again, most people can fill in the blanks with a 5 minute google search, so it's no secret.

Edited by saguaro
  • Like 2

NSW health, after much badgering from Torsten and others, have finally updated the alert advice and issued a product recall for all Hoyts poppy seeds.

Edited by Glaukus
Spelling

On 14/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, saguaro said:

assume the objective of this press release is to inform people like users of PST, or people who would pass on the info about the risk of poisoning to PST users (like yourself). I

Edit:reread your post and answered my own question 

Edited by Glaukus
Doh

There's quite a few more brands added now. You can check them out here 

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/industry/foodrecalls/recalls/Pages/default.aspx

At an independent Melbourne supermarket yesterday, I could choose from Hoyts, Royal Fields, or (Indian) white poppy seeds. This is the same food distributor responsible for the "Royal Fields" brand.

What a fuck up, heads should roll. 

Morphine and thebaine types are processed and stored in different facilities.To protect the thebaine genetics and to stop escape into food supply. 

Tas Alks has been supplying morph type seed for food seed forever. 

PST was always Russian roulette, without this dumbfuckery. 

• Like 1

Apparently it's causing blurred vision, tachycardia, delirium and hallucinations. Sounds like anticholinergic toxicity. assuming a weed is the culprit, it sounds like tropane alkaloid poisoning.  datura or another nightshade are a good guess

anyone for spinach and poppyseed salad?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rottenjonny said:

Daytura or something? what could the mystery weed  be

5 hours ago, saguaro said:

Apparently it's causing blurred vision, tachycardia, delirium and hallucinations. Sounds like anticholinergic toxicity. assuming a weed is the culprit, it sounds like tropane alkaloid poisoning.  datura or another nightshade are a good guess

anyone for spinach and poppyseed salad?

Yeah I was trying to think what the mystery weed is too. Didn't even think of some sort of tropane. Reckon it's a pretty good guess though.