The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Lophophora Williamsii Growing Above Substrate

I have 10 Lophophora Williamsii - about 1 year old - I have owned them for six months and now that spring has arrived they got their first watering and they are growing above the substrate. They are not elongating growth seems to be mostly the root section at the bottom. It looks like the LW are climbing out of the soil.

Question is this normal?  Should I top-fill the LW with more substrate so they are more supported and embedded in the substrate?

IMG_0171.jpg

I have seen pictures in natural habitat, of peyote buttons almost flush with the surrounding soil level -- they seem to enjoy being surrounded by sediment. Each year I repot my mother, I remove some pups, and usually allow the repotted "trunk" to stand bare above the soil line while wounds dry out. I may then backfill with a top dressing, at some point, optionally. I don't think the plant minds either way. But ... look to nature. I don't think the plant needs external support to stand. But it might enjoy the insulation, camouflage or other benefit provided by higher soil level. 

2 hours ago, fyzygy said:

in natural habitat, of peyote buttons almost flush with the surrounding soil level

My thoughts exactly.

The question that I then have is why in nature the remaining flush but here they are climbing up?

Is it because we are providing an artificial growing environment - more consistent nutrients, light, heat, etc and the growth becomes unnatural?

Lots of different non-columnar cacti seem to do this habit early on( like Enchinocactus grunsonii. )  It's a pup thing and will fill out in time, nor is it a 'unnatural ' occurrence imo.

Sit back an enjoy 

• Like 2