The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Salvia recognita growing tips?

I've had around 50% germination rate for some seed I bought from UK supplier. But it seems the young seedlings are very prone to damping off -- at some point they typically just wilt and fall over. I'm wondering has anyone had success raising S. recognita from seed? Please share any growing tips, experience you might have. 

most so called "plant gurus" would say damping off is caused by soil pathogenes, and too much humidety.

so people sterilize soil and seeds, air the growing area, check for perfect light levels, and THE SEEDLINGS STILL DAMP OFF:ana:.

than there is the "plant hippy", he's using 3 times already recycled soil, and shows little thought, for what he is trying to achive. 

and ALL SEEDLINGS STAY STRONG AND PROSPER!:wub:.

DISCLAMER:

actual outcome might vary, compared to this mentioned suggestion.

the author never grew recognita from seed.

These particular seedlings dislike humidity. Risk of damping off, especially first 7 to 10 days. I was going to advise against the use of peat Jiffy pellets, but the trick is to ensure that they dry out between waterings. I've got mine indoors, on a warming mat. These are the strongest contenders so far. I think I killed some previous by overwatering. Any free-draining mix would probably also work, if not even better. 

My seeds from UK supplier arrived with a generic note advising: remove from humidity dome at first signs of germination. Good advice, I reckon (I was skeptical at first).

Still, only about 50% germination rate for me. I didn't soak any of the seeds prior (had intended to, by way of experiment, but concluded the soaking wasn't a good idea for this variety, given its aversion to humidity).

Look forward to hear other gardener's reports. 

• Like 1

I’ve had them flowering but then last summers storms killed them…no seeds.

My tip would be grow them like a cactus, always let them dry out before watering. Mine did well in mostly shade.

Stems still seem very frail, maybe 8 weeks (?) since germination: the slightest drop of water will cause them to fall over sideways. They seem to crave sunlight, rather than the "light shade" specified in description of native habitat -- mine being kept quite sheltered. Germination rate for these imported seeds was less than 25%, seedling attrition due to damping off about 50%. 

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Edited by fyzygy
  • Like 1

Sorry to report that i've had zero germination success from those seeds you sent.

9 minutes ago, SayN said:

Sorry to report that i've had zero germination success from those seeds you sent.

Good to know, I will report back to UK seller. 

They like hot, dry and intense light when in the sun. The light shade description that is on Wiki (and copied everywhere) should more likely be read as

light/shade, as in full light then full shade....as you would get living at the base of a cliff.

Try damp stratifying the seeds for a month first.

as the seedlings grow larger, I notice the "fuzzy, sage-gray leaves" mentioned on another website. 

less water now, methinks. 

Is there a consensus on the ideal soil compostion and conditions for germination?

Unlikely. Nothing too rich, or wet. I doubt they need to be in a humidified enclosure at any stage. As seedlings they don't really need much organic material, so I'd stick with coir or peat, mixed with plenty of perlite or other drainage/aeration material. I've had them in straight peat (Jiffy pellets) and they worked too. Cactus mix (with terracotta chips), same. Jiffy pellets are hard to extricate roots from, when it comes to transplanting. Probably any seed-raising mix would be adequate. 

They like sunlight, for at least part of the day. 

There's a small moth or butterfly that lays little black eggs a bit larger than poppy seeds, you may need to watch out for (when the plants have grown a bit). I removed them manually, and seem now to be okay. I haven't noticed my snails or slugs going for them, as yet.