The Corroboree
Boof

Growing HBWR

Hi.  So I've been growing 2 x HBWR vines for about 12 months.  They've been growing like stink.  Big healthy leaves, vines must be 6 or 8 metres long.  In the last couple of weeks, just as its warming up and me thinking flowers might come with Spring, the leaves have started to yellow and die back.  I initially wondered if it was lack of water since I haven't had to water for so long due the amount of rain and soil moisture, wondered if the soil had finally dried enough to require a drink, but nope, don't think that's it.  There are still many healthy leaves, but perhaps only half as many as there should be.  Those leaves that are yellowing are doing so fairly uniformly throughout the whole leaf, starting with the "flesh" of the leaf and leaving green veins, leading to the veins then also yellowing and the leaf (and stem supplying it) eventually withering and dying.  The main stems appear fine.  This isn't part of the plant's cycle is it?  Photos would be helpful to you I guess, but I'm lazy right now, maybe later if my description above isn't helpful enough.  Located a little west of Bris.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks

Mine drops leaves every year and I give it a prune, then it starts again. But I'm in Sydney which is probably the southern limit it will grow in. 

If you're west of Brisbane you might be getting weather cool enough to trigger the same?

• Thanks 1

i'v never grown it, but have seen a few plants.

it's quite normal for them to almost look dead, and than once it had a good shower they jump back to life.

if it rained only a bit than the growth spurt will, just prematurly end.

i would not water the, plant over the dry spells, but if there was ample rain, water on top of the rain.

they are monsters, and have taken over large parts of north queensland, basicly a pest.....

• Thanks 1

Will drop leaves every winter. still need to water during winter but not much. Does not like the soil dry. Get ready, It can grow to 30 metres :wink:

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, that's good to know.  I knew they would have pest potential; didn't know 30 metres, I thought I'd read 30 feet!  Currently growing it up part of the house and am draping over / framing the windows with it, might need to rethink that!

14 hours ago, Boof said:

Thanks everyone, that's good to know.  I knew they would have pest potential; didn't know 30 metres, I thought I'd read 30 feet!  Currently growing it up part of the house and am draping over / framing the windows with it, might need to rethink that!

Don't let it get onto your roof...mine started ripping up tiles and causing all sorts of problems!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I killed mine years ago due to it trying to grow over my house lol. The thing was a monster! 

• Like 2

just to fatten up this topic, allowe me to sidetrack, a lil, topic: "plants which get too big near structures or in a small yard".

please add to the list.

HBWR, Argyreia nervosa

CEBIL,Anadenanthera colubrina

KRATOM, Mitragyna speciosa

CAAPII, banisteriopsis caapii

• Like 1

Add ipomea and Alicia, I've never seen anything grow like Alicia in my life, most out of control liana I've ever grown. I had to remove it, it took over half my yard.

• Like 1

Just a side note but the hbwr vines ip here in north QLD finished flowering a couple of months ago and have dropped most of their seeds..

20220618_083345.thumb.jpg.42ef9477f60a07eb3abe170b413841eb.jpg

20220618_083715.thumb.jpg.07e77b573697fe6584e6d23723b20ada.jpg

20220618_083307.thumb.jpg.4e113f88421ee64f3d460a5feb593898.jpg

Edited by Jox

17 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

just to fatten up this topic, allowe me to sidetrack, a lil, topic: "plants which get too big near structures or in a small yard".

please add to the list.

HBWR, Argyreia nervosa

CEBIL,Anadenanthera colubrina

KRATOM, Mitragyna speciosa

CAAPII, banisteriopsis caapii

Ha!  I've got 3 of those 4.  Lucky enough to have some room to put them though...

All totally normal growth/shedding of HBWR.

SEQLD grows em big, and I've flicked many, many seeds around the place as a result. Even if you neglect them they will still kick on, especially if they have partial sun and something to climb :wink:

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 11:31 AM, Glaukus said:

Add ipomea and Alicia, I've never seen anything grow like Alicia in my life, most out of control liana I've ever grown. I had to remove it, it took over half my yard.

This^. I planted an Alicia in my front yard and within a few seasons she was bringing down trees. I chopped her to the ground and within a few more seasons she had completely smothered the canopy again. When I finally dug her out she had roots halfway to China:blink:..

• Haha 1

its one of the best plants to grow, but it can respond badly to cutting back, contrary to, say caapi.. Once I had a turbina strangle and kill mine (they were traveling up the same way towards the next floors. I have also had one in a big barrel flower at 15 months from sowing. 

I think both argyreia and turbina can react badly to insufficient water ... Still not sure why my turbina died...