The Corroboree
jhonote

Looking for acacias

Looking for sustainable harvest of acacias, I am located in VIC. Dry bark, root bark, phyllodes, leaves. PM me please.

Careful about the wording of your requests, this is straying into dangerous territory.

There is no such thing as sustainable harvest of Acacia rootbark.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LokStok said:

I can envision a few scenarios. For example, our local council often cuts down an old or dying acacia, leaving behind the roots. Similarly, acacias die all the time in the bush, arguably these may require some kind of cleaning up (to prevent excessive fire loads etc.). There is also the example of an invasive exotic Acacia that may need to be cleared out to preserve native habitat and ecosystem integrity. A lot hinges on one's definition of sustainability, and the kind of economies of scale OP has in mind. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LokStok said:

What if for every acacia you cut, you plant 3 more. If you have an acacia farm that keeps increasing the acacia population is actually doing good for the tree.

If they're in your garden no one can call you out for killing plants, but you're still killing  plants. Not all source material risks plant health like root bark. 

Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but if everyone wild harvested then there would be environmental impacts.

Don't be lazy, grow your own - something with strong phyllodes perhaps. 

www.conseracacian.com

I was more concerned about the potential incrimination of people requesting material that is illegal to procure or possess. Acacias in general are fast growing species, quick to mature. Exceptions are localised endemic populations susceptible to pressures that would not bother widespread species.

Always remember the first rule of SAB club: dont fucking incriminate yourself, that includes requests for material that is not legal to possess, even if the cultivation of the same live species is entirely legitimate. 

• Thanks 1