The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Humboldt

MMA on Four Corners tonight

The thread seems to have been deleted. I heard numerous people including Torsten received related legal threats from Tania/MMA. 

Wile E. was scared off the forum. RIP.

• Like 3

Wow, i didn't know.  Seems they'll have to sue Four Corners now.  I kinda hope they play the shroom song but.

Well that seemed a reasonable summation of things. Julian and MMA didn't come out unscathed.  That facilitator dude from MAPS was a fuckin creep.

All this is unwelcome noise for the scientific community and Im left still pondering that the best vehicle for safe access is as Folk medicine.  

No one watching this would have a positive view of psychedelics.

Maybe psychedelics are too much of a pandora's box and that capitalist culture is just not capable of harnessing and utilising its potential.

When baser human instincts for money and power become to the fore. The temptation of abuse might be too great with such powerful experiences.

Benefitting only the status quo and ensuring that the healing potential of psychedelics becomes lost again.

This is another nail in the legitimacy that psychedelics might have had with established government and professional medical institutions going forward.

I feel terrible torn knowing how much psychedelics have helped.

It is just so sad.

• Like 1

I think it's good to expose predatory and coercive behavior where it's occurring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just watched it and came looking to the TDJ unappreciative thread.

Honestly I think the whole thing was a bit of a beat up, exposed the worst of the industry and promoted Gina's Little Green Pharma medicinal setup.

The shroom song was wack

• Like 2

I did feel a bit sorry for Vic being character assassinated like that.

Julian has always been out and proud about his activities, and seems to thrive on controversy. I have no information about the claims made about him. Love him or not, he's been a staunch supporter of the DIY approach and it would be a shame if his legacy is one of bad behaviour. Even once is too many times if true, which it might not be, although he seemed to admit there might be some truth in it.

• Like 3

Very good to see predatory behaviour exposed imo. That couple who abused that woman should be drawn and quartered, to do that to someone who is in pain and trusted them is atrocious.

I think that Julian does push the boundaries, setting up a cactus session specifically for tv and charging $170/head for it, not sure what that was meant to achieve? A lot of commentary on Facebook about it today, seems his interview was chopped up to show the side the journo wanted to show to suit her theme of “drugs are bad” 

Perhaps he has misbehaved, but her “evidence” was based on one Facebook post, by him, 5 years ago. GTFO, tabloid trash journalism. 
WWA say they’re not in it for the Ching Ching. I call bullshit.

Sad that Wile. E felt the need to leave. I really dig that dude

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bonecud_56 said:

Very good to see predatory behaviour exposed imo. That couple who abused that woman should be drawn and quartered, to do that to someone who is in pain and trusted them is atrocious.

I think that Julian does push the boundaries, setting up a cactus session specifically for tv and charging $170/head for it, not sure what that was meant to achieve? A lot of commentary on Facebook about it today, seems his interview was chopped up to show the side the journo wanted to show to suit her theme of “drugs are bad” 

Perhaps he has misbehaved, but her “evidence” was based on one Facebook post, by him, 5 years ago. GTFO, tabloid trash journalism. 

WWA say they’re not in it for the Ching Ching. I call bullshit.

Sad that Wile. E felt the need to leave. I really dig that dude

Wile-e's still around if you know where to look.

If I knew JP was taking people on cactus walks in the bush literally 5 minutes from my house I could have shown them much better spots!

• Like 1

A pox on profiteers who desecrate this holy medicine. 

16 hours ago, bonecud_56 said:

tabloid trash journalism.

This piece of journalism was an attempt to discredit psychedelics - the rise in the public consciousness of these medicines threatens the established order and the vested interests of conservative groups in society.

Now the accusation raised by the piece is concerning and as a community, we should never tolerate sexually predatory behaviour, bullying or intimation. 

Trial by media and public opinion is not justice but is driven by the worst instincts in human nature.

Those interviewed should have known better, do not talk to journalists, never ever, they are like anyone with power they are not there to help you or anyone else but themselves and their paymasters.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman
  • Like 2

Sure it was a bit dramatised but this seemed more like an attempt to discredit dodgy players rather than psychedelics in general - Steve B, Paul L and the Australian trials got a decent wrap. Shit, even Dave N came out of this looking wholesome.

The critiques of MMA, JP and MAPS were there way before the journalists were - 4C just made it shiny and brought it to a broader audience.

For me, the main issue with the 4C episode was the lack of prohibition critique and overemphasis of medicalisation - but this is a limitation of most public discourse on psychedelics, cannabis and drugs in general. FYI I know of many people who were interviewed on and off the record - this might have been a hit piece but it did seem to be quite thoroughly researched.

MMA's online meeting about the 4C episode last night was hilarious, and EGA is having Steve B and others on their webcast tonight (

) from 8pm to discuss the episode. Pure gold.

This is like living an episode of the psychedelic Kardashians and while I admit I may be a trashbag I AM LOVING IT!

Edited by False Peyote
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, False Peyote said:

Shit, even Dave N came out of this looking wholesome.

David Nickles' sole purpose lately seems to be "how can I find something in this to be outraged by"...

• Like 1

It's Four Corners y'all. WTF do you expect? Regardless of the negative shade it may have thrown on psychedelics, there are a growing number of people out there who no longer take the mainstream's reporting to be true, let alone accurate. I even heard someone say the other day that whatever the 'news' says is 'bad' is more than likely good... Awareness is still awareness and exposure is the basis of all marketing. More people know more than they did about the scene now, regardless of their take on it. The box is open.

Edited by -RC-

I saw the Four Corners journalist interviewed on News Breakfast, her exposé was framed by comparison with a fictional drama series starring Nicole Kidman, Nine Perfect Strangers -- in which participants at a wellness retreat are unwittingly micro-dosed with psilocybin. Ugh. It's one of the worst TV series (badly written, poorly directed) in recent memory. But it demonstrates that psychedelic abuse is topical and current in the mainstream media--even alongside current Netflix offerings such as Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind. 

The insinuation seems to be that psychedelic drugs, in and of themselves, somehow attract rogue practitioners and sexual predators. The incident with the American woman could as easily have targeted exposure therapy (the problematic aspect of her treatment), rather than psychedelics per se. Far from showing potential therapeutic benefit, the reporter disputes that psychedelic "drugs" (as she insisted on correcting JP) are medicinal at all. 

She might have at least mentioned the work being done at Chacruna Institute, focused on eliminating sexist and racist practices from psychedelic therapy.

• Like 2

Obviously, I was ambushed. They even imply that very strongly in the piece. my fb post from 5 years ago is me ruminating on metoo and some unfair accusations and me explaining that. I didn't need to do that. The producer hadn't even read that post, I doubt the reporter did either. The whole thing is truly embarrasing for this country, I felt really ashamed such ignorance was being pushed out of the national broadcaster and I think a lot of sensible and intelligent people agree.

I'm not sure people are buying this at all, as it just comes through as a hatchet job, even my enemies are unsure it seems to me. I haven't gotten so much clear hate, because what is being levelled against me is so murky and unclear and in an unfair manner.

It is not cool when you are accused of being a "bad guy" on national television. The really bad people are the moreons who went and cried wolf four corners. I know who they are, and they are not even people who believe in the power of psychedelic medicine, and grinding their ax against me is the most important thing for them.

I'm making a response video which I'll post here when it is done.

What do they say? any publicity is good publicity, that appears to be true in this it appears to me.

It's curious that the ABC made no effort to disguise the car licence plate number, standard journalistic practice as far as I'm aware (a professional courtesy in the interests of personal privacy). That didn't bode well, in terms of journalistic intent. 

On 31/07/2022 at 9:24 AM, fyzygy said:

It's curious that the ABC made no effort to disguise the car licence plate number, standard journalistic practice as far as I'm aware (a professional courtesy in the interests of personal privacy). That didn't bode well, in terms of journalistic intent. 

Not sure why they would need to, seeing as Julian is, and has always been out in the open, so there is no need to disguise his identity. It's not like they blurred his face either...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Not sure why they would need to

It's been decades since I worked as a journalist. I haven't seen the subject of an investigation's number plate openly displayed in any television media report in all that time, I don't think. It may be no skin off Julian's nose, so to speak, but where's the professional courtesy? Granted, there are bigger problems with this 4 Corners report than potential threats to privacy. In any case, I thought that the license plate issue might be useful in bringing a complaint against the ABC, if one were pending. It suggests a degree of overt hostility, rather than journalistic (ahem) impartiality. 

JP is loudly and publicly doing something illegal. Despite having many fans, he also has many critics, and there have been numerous concerning community reports about his behaviour. Of course this was going to come out in 4c - what else could have been expected? 

Bad drug reporting is nothing new and IMO 4c was better than most mainstream drug media. 4c was important because it sent a public warning about MMA. I rekon the warning about JP was valid too. 

I'm still not sure what the "warning about MMA" might have been -- that they're a bunch of fruitcakes? With shady financials? And the backing of a corrupt, now ousted, federal government? Seems pretty much par for the course, given the profligate proclivities of Australian political elites. Still, I don't see Tania's car rego plate on my screen. Or (unnamed) Andrew Robb's. Even if JP was doing something illegal "loudly and publicly" -- shouldn't he be extended the same journalistic courtesy as enjoyed by other citizens, including far more nefarious (and notorious) criminals? It seems to me that JP was just low-hanging fruit to be trampled on by cherrypicking moral crusaders. At the end of the story, I still don't have enough context or information to have an opinion on JP. If a public warning about JP were in order, then that warning would be better heeded had the ABC at least pretended to care about journalistic standards, IMO. 

What bothers me most is that the ABC didn't report any of the positive reforms and progressive directions of contemporary psychedelic therapy. Chacruna Institute, for one, has been vociferous in calling out the issue of sexual predation and economic exploitation (particularly of First Nations peoples) and has implemented various programs accordingly.  

On balance, I'd have preferred to hear more about the ten-second, organic-apple-juice method. 

1 hour ago, False Peyote said:

warning about MMA

The warning is about litigation... note the disappearance of everyone's favourite thread.

Shouldn't take much asking around to get that context unless you're stuck in the pro-JP echo chamber (WTGH - WTAF?!)