The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mcgrath111

Aio grafts onto pere keep failing (troubleshooting help)

Hi all,

I love to graft and grow mutants.

However, my ario grafts have a 10-20% success rate, and I can't identify why.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6t5KgOi

I've tried two methods:

1. If large enough, I put ario seedling onto fresh pere tip and hold onto pere with gladwrap and rubber band. (I've used parafilm before, yet, for me it is hard to align for arios. Normally about a week and then I remove elastic bands/cling film. (Is this too soon to remove for arios? Should it be held down longer?)

2. Humidity chamber. I think this is the go to, yet I'm wondering if I have things too humid, which is causing rot etc.

I've provided a photo link above, as the arios appear to be on the vascular bundle, yet many just die over a few weeks. I've trawled through loads of older posts such as peyofox and other grafting threads/ teos book etc. Yet I can figure out why my success rate is soo darn low!

My blades are always brand new, so I don't think the issue is a sharp cut.

I think it's something to do with the conditions post graft.

Any suggestions or what has "uped" your graft game?

Many thanks, 

Mcgrathh

Hey mate ive no experience with arios but in my experiments different scions seem to have varying degrees of success on peres.  But id definately leave on gladwrap for weeks, or even months long after you see some connection and bulking.  Whilst vascular bundles form, they may take longer to become well established and the plant resistant to desiccation once the humidity is reduced.

Ah awesome, that must be where I'm going wrong. I'll seed how keeping them in humidity /held down for longer works. Cheers mate!

I normally only use a humidity dome for 48 hours after micrografts to keep the scions from getting dehydrated while the wounds heal, then I put the plants in the same conditions as the seedlings were growing in before the graft.

• Like 1

An update,

I've spoken to an experienced grower who reccomends grafting onto pere WITHOUT roots. Similarly, they shared Humboldts opinion that it should be kept about 10-12 days in a humidity chamber. 

I'll see how this goes and keep people posted in case someone else down the track finds grafting arios difficult. 

-Mcgrath

On 21/06/2022 at 10:31 AM, False Peyote said:

I normally only use a humidity dome for 48 hours after micrografts to keep the scions from getting dehydrated while the wounds heal, then I put the plants in the same conditions as the seedlings were growing in before the graft.

Thanks False peyote, have you tried tbis technique for arios? 

On 25/06/2022 at 2:17 AM, Quantum_Reality said:

Have you tried stab grafting them?

I was thinking that they might be too small to stab? But I'll have to look into this method further.

Yes, I have used this same technique for micrografting trichs, lophs, arios, astros and various other seed. Success across the board for me.

I find stabbing often doesn't give enough pressure and it creates a risk of infection.