The Corroboree
niggles

What is your least favourite plant?

I'm doing a little survey, please tell me your least favourite plant. 

Don't have to limit to one :)

• Like 1

Here's some of the answers so far :

Cats claw

Madeira vine

Coleus 

Bromeliad

Agapanthus

Billy goat weed

Snake herb

Lantana

• Like 1

Any weed is just a plant out of place -- I think Goethe might have said it first?  For example, suburban lawn grass. What vast sums of energy must be wasted on its upkeep. And gorse: what an aggressive menace to the Australian landscape, exploding seed pods and all. 

^ I think there may be (at least) two different species referred to as Cat's Claw? 

^ What's wrong with Coleus? There are some lovely native (and exotic) varieties, with potential benefits. 

Some of the plants that I wish were not here=

Gorse

Flick weed

Bunny ears

Asparagus Fern

Oxalis

Wandering Jew

Cereus

On 19/06/2022 at 1:07 PM, fyzygy said:

^ What's wrong with Coleus? There are some lovely native (and exotic) varieties, with potential benefits. 

That was one of my contributions

All of my plant prejudices stem from unpleasant associations with really unpleasant people. Coleus is a shame, because someone I really like is a Coleus fan, but it's not strong enough to overwrite years of aversion as Coleus were also the favourite genus of a really racist old relative of mine. Every time I see a Coleus i want to kick it in the head :lol:

The reasons people dislike some species or genus are as interesting to me as the name of the species themselves

Cool thread @niggles

Bougainvillea - those spiky buggers make such a mess

Thanks guys love all the feedback! 

I'll add it to the data

Don't be afraid to double up on previous answers 

^ Bougainvillea, how could I forget? The one here doesn't even flower, just strangles nearby plants and impales careless gardeners. Shading it out seems to be the only chemical-free management option. 

• Like 1

Gotta be the asparagus weed and Cobblers pegs. Can't go bushwalking without running into that shyt. And need I say it LANTANA!:angry::angry::angry:

Agapanthus blue and white, the pink one I don’t hate with burning rage, but it needs good management(deadheading) or it will spread just as badly as the ‘normal’ ones.

Coprosma repens

Kikuyu/ Couch the dreaded invaders, although at least kike can show you where the good soil is

and cottonester.

Opuntia stricta, the gimp of Australian cacti. If I let it live it's only so I can use it as graft stock, which I still resent doing. 

I take perverse pleasure in slicing anchor points for rubber bands in prickly pear pads. Down with glochids. All hail Cactoblastis. 

Also +1 for Cereus sp., especially Cereus peruvianus. I wonder how many clones are common in Australian gardens, I suspect not many. The classic false San Pedro!

Edited by False Peyote

7 minutes ago, False Peyote said:

Down with glochids

The spineless Opuntia varieties (developed by Luther Burbank) are easier to work with than O. stricta. 

Nandina domestica! Laziest lanscaping choice ever.

Lantana, spent my youth hacking it down, im slightly allergic to it, the spiny hairs make me itch like crazy and go red.

Privet.

It has to be cotton for me. Why?

Insane water requirements

Insane pesticide usage

Devastating land use

Fertiliser run off

It's an ecocidal plight of this country.

Furthermore, the world would be unable to deny the requirement for other organic fibres such as hemp if we weren't being propped up by this terrible crop.

• Like 2

Tree Fern (i think thats the right variant? the Ones that make you itchy if you brush up against them hahah)

Roses: They seduce you with their vibrant colours, sensual smells, and beautiful petals, then shred you like a cheese grater when you cuddle them...