The Corroboree
RonnySimulacrum

EGA VIDEO - How to Identify Fungi - A beginners Guide

From SAB and EGA Member Caine Barlow :-)

If you enjoy EGA's content, we invite you to join us in-person or online for our upcoming Garden States Conference www.gardenstates.org

Also See this Active Mushroom Video Playlist -

If you are foraging for culinary or medicinal species being able to identify the fungi you find is essential - if you are foraging for fun, the journey becomes more meaningful knowing what you are looking at. This video is an introduction to various aspects of identification to help you identify the species of mushrooms that take your interest. From climate and habitat, to features of the mushroom, the cap, the gill attachment, and how to use a key. We also cover some Ethnomycological research literature and the best books for beginners in the field.

Some species also have poisonous lookalikes that are important to be able to identify, knowing how to study and identify the distinguishing characteristics can help determine whether a fungus is suitable for your basket and your risotto or can be left alone growing in its habitat.

-- Bio Caine Barlow -- Caine Barlow is a Mycologist and Fungi Educator based in Melbourne, Australia. He gives regular talks on mycology, fungi conservation, and teaches gourmet mushroom cultivation. He is a member of the Australian organisations Entheogenesis Australis, MYCOmmunity Applied Mycology, The Australian Psychedelic Society, and the Entheome Foundation.

Caine started foraging for mushrooms in the early 1990's, and started cultivating gournet fungi in the mid 2000's. He did his Bachelor of Science at the University of Tasmania, and a Master of Science at the University of Melbourne where his research project was based around Conservation Mycology.

In addition to fungi, Caine has had a long term interest in ethnobotany, ethnobotanical literature, and growing medicinal plants - in particular Cacti and Acacias. He writes for DoubleBlind and ThirdWave, is a “Trusted Identifier” on The Shroomery, and a moderator on many Facebook fungi groups. Caine posts regularly on his Instagram, @guerrillamycology, sharing adventures from cultivation, foraging, and ethnomycology, to interesting observations from his home lab. Contact: caine(AT)entheogenesis.org

Also See this Active Mushroom Video Playlist -

If you enjoy EGA's content, we invite you to join us in-person or online for our upcoming Garden States Conference www.gardenstates.org Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Huge fan of the content. Keep up the great work.

I'm often jealous of my more southern neighbours in all of the choice fungi you can find.

• Like 2

In the old days, Caine hang out here on SAB with us :lol: 
Now, every-time I try to call him, I just get his fucking agent or PA  :P

Caine, You have changed man, CAINE, CALL ME BACK B)

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Haha 1

Caine and Ronny- thorough and as brilliant and properly local as always

Love your work guys

Still have a few vids from the series I must catch up on tho, a treat for the cold nights

• Like 1