The Corroboree
PsillySimon

P. Subaeruginosa in QLD

A friend came back from a hike in Tambourine and asked me to ID a group of mushrooms he had picked, all blueing on the stalks.

Prints and my own experience identified P. Subaeruginosa which until now, I had only found growing on similar adventures in Oberon and near wollongong in NSW.

I did not expect to find them in qld  which is where I have relocated from Bathurst (a close point if reference for subs this time of year).

These are easily my favourite Psilocybe, and I am wondering if anyone from South East QLD has discovered these or any other actives during these cooler months as psilocybes are a large part of my personal and spiritual practice and due to the nature of my recent move I have much less available than usual.

Thank you

• Like 2

Hey RC, hope you've been well brother.

PsillySimon it's great to hear someone talking about south east QLD subs again. I have not been hunting in down that way for at least 4 years now but when I lived there I had found two fairly reliable patches where I could find subs in the colder months. They were up in the mountains where the night time temperature would fall below 10 degrees. I hope you keep finding these treasures, please keeps us updated on your adventures..

Ps.. I love photos........

People always want proof of seQLD subs lol..

Cheers Jox..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is interesting Psilly Simon,  to hear maybe all the rain caused them to fruit as it has been relatively mild with the rain about, but that is great to hear

Jox, i guess because they are more rare than our cubes

• Like 1

Hey Macca, hope you've been going well. The reason that I asked to see photos is because they are a very rare treasure to find in QLD. Actually the more I've thought about the opening post the more I doubt that they would be subs, for one I don't think that the minimum temperatures would have been getting low enough yet and the other thing is that I spent many winters searching those mountains and never came across true wild (in the bush) patches of subs. Now I can say that I did find and identify a couple of little patches of subs on those mountains but they were in man made parks and gardens. To this day I still question whether you can find endemic subs in QLD or if the handful of subs that have ever been found and positively identified have been introduced. 

Cheers Jox..

• Like 2

On 27/05/2022 at 4:43 AM, Jox said:

Hey Macca, hope you've been going well. The reason that I asked to see photos is because they are a very rare treasure to find in QLD. Actually the more I've thought about the opening post the more I doubt that they would be subs, for one I don't think that the minimum temperatures would have been getting low enough yet and the other thing is that I spent many winters searching those mountains and never came across true wild (in the bush) patches of subs. Now I can say that I did find and identify a couple of little patches of subs on those mountains but they were in man made parks and gardens. To this day I still question whether you can find endemic subs in QLD or if the handful of subs that have ever been found and positively identified have been introduced. 

Cheers Jox..

Hey Jox

I am good thanks and hope you are also

I was thinking it was a bit warm also, my brother and I today found some cubes in our new area, some quite large, so that said, i think subs will be more active after these cold mornings on the way and the next lot of rain.  Yes they are very rare especially in the wild as you said. That is true, are they native or introduced to the SE QLD. I have seen your photos in the past in bark chips, for the wild, i wonder also, not saying the mountains dont have the climate of the south in winter. Even down south i think they are more prolific in man made gardens over the wild (though I have seen some pretty good flushes online of them down south in pine forests.  I assume the subs would like a more open (light) environment than rainforests, as down south usually found in pine plantations or woodland.

• Like 1