The Corroboree
Lou

What's happening at Wandjina Gardens / SAB Nursery

We are finally back on track with Catha strains after a few hiccups (no comment:wink:)

.... they sell quick but a few Pinks AKA Vienna White are available at the moment.

Most exciting news is the Nursery is OPEN to visitors next week - 2nd to 5th May

https://www.facebook.com/groups/232618545864/permalink/10159640031095865

I am also trying to put together a database of Trichocereus clone's ie origin, traits, who named and why etc. Please contact me if you have any valid CORRECT information that may be useful. Can email me at [email protected]

Cheers. Linda

CathaPink2.JPG

CathaPink2.JPG

• Like 2

hi, lou!

the cathas in the pic, are what we call the red strain.

i named the vienna white, the planthelper, and started calling some x pollinated strains pinks.

the red strain originated from wa, and the property owner of one of those trees in wa, became even a member here for a while. he found sab, because he investigated why some people, tresspassed his garden and kept pruning his red catha.

the vienna white, comes from the university botanical gardens in vienna, it was sourced originally, from yemen.

the narrow leaved, comes from trees in the royal botanical gardens sydney, and a tree in tarango zoo.

rumours say it was confiscated by the border patrol.

the plant helper is a x cross between a narrow leaved and a vienna white, it displays good hybreed vigor.

once all those plants got established, many cross polinated seeds got produced and traded.

the pinks are one of those open pollinated breeds. there are as well, narrow leaved semi reds, and planthelper pinks and many intermidiates.

yemen bosts, to have hundreds of different strains. we got as well at some stage seeds from south africa, but some description of his seeds were incorrect....

hope that helps.

broad leaved qat makes an easy cutting, narrow leaved qat, does not strike well from cuttings, but produces suckers. those suckers can be used, to produce easy cuttings as well.

but once the narrow leaved plant stops producing leaves in a spiral fashion, the abilety to take cuttings from those plants diminishes.

if you start of with a nl sucker, and often take cuttigs from it, this action will slow down the aging process to some degree.

madragora took cuttings of mature narroleaved plants, where a young side shoot is formed, and had good success, but she was an above average probagator.

if you want manny nl's you might just propagate from seed. if there are many other cathas around, than some to all seedlings could be cross pollinated.

so choose narrow leaved seeds from an isolated tree.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

hi, lou!

the cathas in the pic, are what we call the red strain.

i named the vienna white, the planthelper, and started calling some x pollinated strains pinks.

the red strain originated from wa, and the property owner of one of those trees in wa, became even a member here for a while. he found sab, because he investigated why some people, tresspassed his garden and kept pruning his red catha.

the vienna white, comes from the university botanical gardens in vienna, it was sourced originally, from yemen.

the narrow leaved, comes from trees in the royal botanical gardens sydney, and a tree in tarango zoo.

rumours say it was confiscated by the border patrol.

the plant helper is a x cross between a narrow leaved and a vienna white, it displays good hybreed vigor.

once all those plants got established, many cross polinated seeds got produced and traded.

the pinks are one of those open pollinated breeds. there are as well, narrow leaved semi reds, and planthelper pinks and many intermidiates.

yemen bosts, to have hundreds of different strains. we got as well at some stage seeds from south africa, but some description of his seeds were incorrect....

hope that helps.

broad leaved qat makes an easy cutting, narrow leaved qat, does not strike well from cuttings, but produces suckers. those suckers can be used, to produce easy cuttings as well.

but once the narrow leaved plant stops producing leaves in a spiral fashion, the abilety to take cuttings from those plants diminishes.

if you start of with a nl sucker, and often take cuttigs from it, this action will slow down the aging process to some degree.

madragora took cuttings of mature narroleaved plants, where a young side shoot is formed, and had good success, but she was an above average probagator.

if you want manny nl's you might just propagate from seed. if there are many other cathas around, than some to all seedlings could be cross pollinated.

so choose narrow leaved seeds from an isolated tree.

PH2 isn't been produced anymore?

Hi Withdraw Clinic

You will need to address this to the boss Torsten, I am no expert! I just handle the admin side of things.

Our Red's are a lot redder, these pinks are not red strains, that's all I know :)

PH - Those pinks are cutting grown from plants sourced directly from you PH. Still the same trees as 15 or so years ago. Colours vary throughout the year. In summer they have hardly any red, but later in the season they are quite red (at least around here). These are propagated by a very different method to what we normally use which could also account for some extra colour. The difference is easy to see in mature plants.

Oncewhywechnage, I actually can't remember what happened to PH2 but it appears we don't have this in the collection anymore.

• Like 1

We also get a near 100% strike rate from Narrow Khat cutting ;)

Any chance you'll have Cymbopogon ambiguus again?

19 hours ago, tripsis said:

Any chance you'll have Cymbopogon ambiguus again?

Hopefully, but unfortunately I can't give any ETA on that at the moment...

i culled my ph as it was growing to big, and didn't want the hassle anymore.

there are some people on this forum trading the ph once in a while.

Price drop on Alicia's... turns out we are just too good at propping them here at SAB Nursery :wink:

Alicia.JPG

Alicia.JPG