The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Wood Chuck

Emailing politicians

Politicians emailed about changing the law, seem to eventually pick out part of the email to reply too, but not the core question. Am I having a bad run or just being fobbed off.

• Like 1

Sounds like standard operating procedure to me...

• Like 2

Your name and email address will be added to the politician's mailing list. They may cooperate if your request is concrete and specific (e.g., data from Medicare or another government agency), but will typically ignore appeals to abstract principles such as justice, human rights etc. Often you will be referred to another government department or jurisdiction ("fobbed off"). There's actually very little that a politician can (or will) do on your behalf, in most circumstances. A sympathetic ear (extremely rare) is no guarantee of action, other than the shuffling of your correspondence to the formidable "too hard" basket. Still, it's good to raise awareness of marginal issues among political elites; one has to hope in the prospect of longer-term (cultural) change. 

• Like 3

Am annoyed at being put on the politicians mailing list and learning their tactics. I have a complaint in with the Commonwealth Ombudsman, who I`m waiting to hear back from, now the politician will form part of that complaint and will see how things go.

obviously the politician that represents you?

I have had great luck contacting their office directly. They MUST give constituents 15min at least to air their concerns. you will get a meeting/even if zoom with any politician in australia

• Thanks 1