The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Mystery aloe giveaway

I don't know the variety, but it's non-bitter, and strongly resembles one being sold online as (edible) "Japanese aloe" ... could just as well be some form of hybrid as a particular maculate species.

The gel it produces is on the watery side, lacking the soapiness or bitterness of my other spotted varieties, A. maculata (soap aloe) and A. chinensis. I've eaten this one in small quantities only, without adverse effects. I have read that numerous "maculate" Aloes are used in traditional African healing, but few details were disclosed. This plant's lack of bitterness suggests limited medicinal value. Fresh young leaves are essentially palatable, skin and all. None of Aloe vera's exudate or latex in evidence. 

Makes a pretty stunning house plant IMO. 

Free offsets if you can cover the cost of postage. Mostly a bit smaller than the ones pictured, some a bit larger. 

Trades also welcome (seeds of edible and medicinal plants, etc.).

Send a message if you'd like to add this to your garden. Post below if you can help ID this variety. 

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0374.thumb.jpg.dfeac472758161419692681f6bcf8ae7.jpg

IMG_0374.thumb.jpg.dfeac472758161419692681f6bcf8ae7.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like Aloe Vera except the leaves look a little flatter, might just be to do with environment though. Aloe Vera has 20/22 essential amino acids, anti-bacterial, anti-microbal, it's even good for plants. I fillet the gel and eat that, also use on burns and on my skin when out in the sun. Use it before you go in the sun instead of waiting to be burnt. Such a great plant, one of my favs.

Aloe Vera (yellow flower) doesn't have spotted leaves. The orange-flowering Aloe Vera var. chinensis does have spotted leaves, but also a bitter taste. This one doesn't taste bitter (or soapy, like A. maculata, another lookalike). There are a few obscure spotted (maculate) varieties documented, but none of them seem to be the "Japanese Aloe" of urban (YouTube) legend. Aloes have amazing medicinal properties, yes. Just not sure about this non-bitter variety.