The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Why my Syrian Rue never flowers?

I've scattered seed for about 5 years, something always germinates, some even appear to thrive. But so far I've never seen so much as a single flower. 

over the years, reading here, i can say that rue, is the most complained about plant.

for most people it does not germinate, and if it does it struggles and dies prematurly.

i remeber one person, finding out that it has an unusual ph requirement, i'm slightly dyslexic, so polar things are hard for me, but i guess very alkaline enviroment.

for the flowering, i can't say for certain, but flowering has often to do with two things, photoperiode and dry spells followed by rain.

in melbourne, you get quite varying daylight ours, so i don't think it's that. but you probably get too much rain, and no dryspells at the right time of the year.

maybe it needs a cold spell.

it seems do like desolate places where nothing else grows...

keep up the good work!

needs to be in a sandy, perlite mix. Hates humidity. dry summers and cool winters. a lot like perth climate.  If the humidity is high it will get powdery mildew.

weedy looking thing. no place in my garden.

I have never had any trouble with the seeds germinating. But the plants always end up dying on me. I thought maybe that I was using too small a pot (I've found that to be the problem with other plants) so my latest seedlings I have put into larger pots. But after reading this thread I may also try adding some perlite and sand to the soil, plus some lime to buffer the ph and see how that goes.

Also, it is my understanding with most plants that to promote flowering you should give them a fertilizer high in potassium.

12 hours ago, kindness said:

Maybe trying to mimic the areas where it has become a bugger to eradicate…

link is to South Oz fact sheet for ‘African rue’.  https://data.environment.sa.gov.au/Content/Publications/pests_rue.pdf

Thanks for the info. That "allelopathic" property of the plant is good to know about (mine is often in pots with other plants; not any more). 

Pity the poor cattle graziers and rabbitohs, eh?

Edit. So Peganum harmala seeds (and other parts of the plant) are being investigated for their potential as organic herbicide. Apparently harmaline is one of the compounds being researched for this purpose. 

Edited by fyzygy

11 hours ago, fyzygy said:

Pity the poor cattle graziers and rabbitohs, eh?

Yeah, gotta be a market collecting the seed and selling to middle eastern shops I’d think… maybe too labour intensive to make a buck though.

Interesting that harmaline is being looked into as a herbicide.  That would be interesting to see on a bunn1ngz shelf lol