The Corroboree
Darklight

Tyramine, 5HTP interactions. It's real, and very much NSFW

TL:DR I always thought the tyramine/ aged cheese/ dieta thing was shaky til now, having read both sides and never experienced any issues prior since forever. Now I'm a believer

Posting here so I don't spam the shit out of my mates. It's still happening, albeit at a lower level, and I'm super relaxed and everything seems like a good idea. After this I'll step away from all the keyboards before I start posting love letters on 4chan or something else godawful

Been slaving over a hot spreadsheet for over a week ( queue tiny violins ).

While I'm completely absorbed in computer stuff, my go to food is cheaparse Aldi Stilton, leafy greens and whatever fruit's in the garden. For days. In this case a week.

A tiny stinky block of Aldi Stilton can last for days and there''s no washing up and it's brain food for spreadsheets

Pressed Send on the spreadsheet. Wandered about feeling residually wired for a coupla hours and it was pissing me off, because Job Done, validated, tick, right?

Had some 5HTP. Didn't measure it. Prolly a bit more than I should have, and would normally have- but not *that* much more. But when I've done that in the past all that happens is I get a bit anxious then it wears off and I'm all relaxed like it says on the box

At +1 hour in things get weird. I think it was an hour, but it was getting weird so we'll call it +1 hour.

I can't remember what the initial symptoms were because I'm not back yet. Mostly classic hiatus hernia I think, I looked it up. Old people thing. Burping, dizziness, feeling of fullness. Yeah, so I put it down to that. I'm old, bits of me recovering from whatever the fuck I had last year. That. 5HTPs never been an issue ever before

At +1.5 hours I'm lying down wondering if someone has messed with my 5HTP container. And even I am not that stupid. And all my guests are awesome. It's looking incredibly serotonergic in here, but it's not your classic serotonergic. Temperature is constant. No change in heart rate. There are waves of...serotoninishness tho. Flickery visual disturbances are making me want to close my eyes. Scrolling Facebook on the laptop is even more of a physical nightmare than usual because visual disturbances. Is less worse if I stop scrolling down webpages or switching between tabs.

But the effect isn't quite...drukgs. It's just not that sparkly for the level of physical discomfort either. The only thing I can think of is 5HTP. Must be a novel reaction now I'm old

Ride it out. Feel like total shit, dog is getting worried etc. Doesn't feel life threatening, so no hospital. Mostly cos I do not want to go to hospital and tell them I took something that wasn't drugs but feel like it's a serotonergic response to 5HTP. That shit never ends well. And not quiiiite bad enough for the ambos yet. But no fun and getting slowly worse

At +2 hrs approx it dawns on me that activated charcoal might help. Sop it up maybe. Swill a spoonful down in H2O and feel better

At 2.5 hours I don't feel better enough, so I mung another spoonful in water and lay back down

At +3 hours I had to stand up suddenly. I will never get the Stilton out of the curtains and the bathroom looks like it's been vandalised by a psychopathic goth teenager. Wall to wall charcoal

But once I recognised the Stilton it all made sense- tyramine. Fuck I've heard of the MAOI response, but this is ridiculous. It was 4 hrs since my last Stilton hit before I took the 5HTP. What am I, made of fucking glass or something?

Needed a couple more AC solutions between then and now, but the worst of it is gone

The moral of the story is: Sometimes internetty things are true, for some people. And always keep human grade activated charcoal in your kitchen pantry. I don't have a kitchen pantry, but if I did that's where I'd keep it. Listen to your Elders. Not me tho, I'm still a little shaky. Often there is a reason for The Things. Like not eating the tops of Kava plants, and being careful about your food when anticipating ceremony. Those people know their shit, much respect

I had to open the fridge ten minutes ago and the fucking Stilton is still in there and I was like a vampire at sunrise. This is gunna go on for a while I think. Even the smell...

Feel heaps better tho.

Edited by Darklight
Add technical details for symptoms
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Also, the above may not be funny. I'm not in a position to judge right now

If it isn't funny, I hope it's informative and useful for someone.

If it is neither funny or useful, this is Chillspace but I may have massively misjudged the last few hours, so yeah, sorry

Edited by Darklight
Clarity
  • Like 2

Good to know. According to Wikipedia there's no clinical evidence linking 5-HTP with serotonin syndrome or hypertensive crisis. It's an over-the-counter supplement in many parts of the world, presumably with any contraindications listed in the accompanying product literature.

From a 200mg product label:  For adults only. Consult physician if pregnant/nursing, taking medications (especially antidepressants), or have a medical condition. May cause drowsiness and mild transient GI symptoms. Take with food in case of GI upset. Keep out of reach of children.

I gave up eating animals many years ago, under the influence of San Pedro. Diet itself can transform consciousness, as the Hare Krishnas know only too well. Cheese is known for its opioid-receptor interactions. Perhaps Stilton should be reclassified as an anti-depressant? 

Further research needed, being the default state of affairs. 

• Like 1

It's weird how something that is normally tolerated can cause an abnormal reaction like that.

Christmas Eve last year, I had a dose of some opiates that would normally just be quite mild. An hour in and I was having clear signs of a bad allergic reaction. 2 hours in and I asked my wife to be ready to call me an ambulance. I was covered in hives, my lips and tongue were swollen to the point I struggled to speak, and I was fainting due to low blood pressure. In the end we decided I should just ride it out, cos being in emergency ward on Christmas Eve sucks (I know this from experience!). It was a scary old night.

Hope you feel better soon DL.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 7:53 AM, Glaukus said:

It's weird how something that is normally tolerated can cause an abnormal reaction like that.

Yeah, I put it down to being dopamine depleted as well

Also checked out the fridge this morning to grab brekky and every damn thing in there is full of tyramine. Stilton's apparently one of the highest tyramine cheeses tho, but every bloody thing in there is high tyramine

Like some kind of weird legal binge lol

Your experience sounds way scarier, glad you came out alright too

On 17/12/2021 at 6:12 AM, fyzygy said:

Good to know. According to Wikipedia there's no clinical evidence linking 5-HTP with serotonin syndrome or hypertensive crisis. It's an over-the-counter supplement in many parts of the world, presumably with any contraindications listed in the accompanying product literature.

From a 200mg product label:  For adults only. Consult physician if pregnant/nursing, taking medications (especially antidepressants), or have a medical condition. May cause drowsiness and mild transient GI symptoms. Take with food in case of GI upset. Keep out of reach of children.

I gave up eating animals many years ago, under the influence of San Pedro. Diet itself can transform consciousness, as the Hare Krishnas know only too well. Cheese is known for its opioid-receptor interactions. Perhaps Stilton should be reclassified as an anti-depressant? 

Further research needed, being the default state of affairs.

Hard to tell if it was an hypertensive crisis, my BP is damn low and I couldn't remember how to use the toy that measures it at the time. HR was a guess but wasn't racing. GI symptoms were minor and transient, relatively speaking, if somewhat colourful. Fuck nose what would have happened without the charcoal tho. And I'm not up for more research, my guinea pig days are done :D

Thinking about the dieta link, has anyone else concluded that it might be for the benefit of the practitioner as much as the participant? If you're looking after a circle very carefully, especially for ppl you don't know well, the last thing you need is to suddenly require all your attention diverted to one or two people experiencing a significant but totally avoidable somatic crisis like the above. And I'd hate to be the person who needed that attention

Feeling good now, thanks for all the messages tho, happy festivus you crazy loving botanists. Spent yesterday on a digital detox with some mates and everything feels more balanced

• Thanks 1

I've wondered if the quality of the 5HTP has anything to do with it, I used to consume 1g 5HTP daily and was on strong tricyclics at the time too, no indications of serotonin syndrome - that only came from smoking a blend that had Rue in it while on the meds (foolish and a seriously bad time)

Years later after being off the meds I purchased some cheap 5HTP which made me feel really unwell at low dosage, strange.

• Like 1