The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

livestock eating bark and plants deterrent?

I have a few sheep and alpacas that i have let out of a paddock and into the garden area since there is more food for them there but one of the sheep just eats the roses and tips of other plants and one of the alpacas just eats the bark off the fruit and other small trees. Currently i have just tried to protect some plants by wrapping or covering in shade cloth but  want to remove that.I have made a tee/broth thing of chili and garlic that i plan to spray on the plants i don't want them to me with, is this gonna damage trees(or even work to deter them) i put it on or does any one know of a better solution i am not thinking of?

They be chasing nutrients that the grass isnt giving.... They might turn to a broad element salt block if you csn find one. 

Neem might keep em at bay

• Like 1

I got a salt block out there for em, they might be chasing a more balanced diet but the sheep at least just prefers plants over grass. I sort of messed up with him, i got him after was abandoned by it's mum and raised him in with the cats and then the chickens, was lots of roses and other plants in there and it just developed a taste for them over grass and that never really went away when he went out with the other sheep and alpacas. The alpaca eating the bark i'm not sure is even doing it for food but more just for fun as there are a whole bunch of things it can and does eat outside the paddock.

The spray stuff i made seems to have worked and not damaged the trees i tested it on but have a feeling will need constant re application, might give neem oil a try if they start messing with the test ones again to quickly. 

• Like 1