The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Buttsack

Catha Edulis (Khat, Qat) Green and Narrow Leaf

Looking for mature green or NL catha for sale or trade.

I think I might have just recently killed a green catha that was a few years old, forgot to water it for a week and needed a repot but was planning on putting it in the ground. Leaves were all crispy by the time I realized and all have fallen off :( I still have hope though. So yeah I'm looking for a replacement, and still don't have a NL yet so putting that out there too.

On 07/09/2021 at 8:54 PM, Buttsack said:

Looking for mature green or NL catha for sale or trade.

catha that was a few years old, forgot to water it for a week and needed a repot but was planning on putting it in the ground. Leaves were all crispy by the time I realized and all have fallen off :( 

catha edulis, is very hardy, it would survive, weeks without water..., in the ground or in pots...

but if you, let her down, regarding caring for her, she might, have, experienced, "baked the soil", because of to much sun exposure.

i play hard ball with my qat, so doesn't matter, i can always can get a new one, no, NO, noooo

learn to provide for nature, and not to need to replentish, from insecure sources!!:(:unsure:

Edited by withdrawl clinic

On 12/09/2021 at 3:04 PM, withdrawl clinic said:

catha edulis, is very hardy, it would survive, weeks without water..., in the ground or in pots...

but if you, let her down, regarding caring for her, she might, have, experienced, "baked the soil", because of to much sun exposure.

i play hard ball with my qat, so doesn't matter, i can always can get a new one, no, NO, noooo

learn to provide for nature, and not to need to replentish, from insecure sources!!:(:unsure:

They do love a good watering but yeah can go weeks or months without water, in the ground at least. Maybe in pots too with the right soil, but not root bound in a pot. I had it sitting in water so I'd say it was use to that, then the sudden dry spell for the week or 2 put it off it's game. I thought it was gunna come back but doesn't seem like it now.

I wasn't playing hard ball with it, just forgot about it. Bit hard to get a new one too, as we can see here.

This plant death was a one off, and came to me like it was. I'd had it for over a month though but should have repotted it, just thought I'd have already planted it like the others I got. I don't even water the reds I got that are in the ground and they are fine. I think once they get root bound and stress out, that can be the end of them. Has happened to a couple of acacias and a couple of other trees I got from a nursery.

Sometimes a potted khat bush will look like it needs water when in fact what it needs is the opposite: better drainage. That's the only problem I've (rarely) encountered. Beware of frosts, and native herbivores if you live in the bush. Khat easily withstands drought conditions, but in arid areas where it is grown as a cash crop, khat is notorious for its irrigation requirements. Seedlings may require extra care (mine get a sprinkling of water twice daily) until they're more established.

• Like 2

yep drainage is a big issue!

qat can die, or at least get serious die back from watter logged conditions.

at some places, this might only happen once in 15 years or so (tropical storm).

you should always plant them out, even if you rent, many rentals at the norhern rivers, come with ther established catha edulis plant!

if you rent, plant out into the open (well drained locations) and take cuttings right away, and keep mthem in pots, so you still got the plant when you move on.

the growth rate is so many times bigger, plantedf out, and they are easier to keep happy.

• Like 1

Looking for narrow-leaf khat seeds or plant, please PM if you know of anything for sale/trade. 

Still looking for NL khat and/or pink/Vienna White, green, or hybrids.

Hi Fyzygy, there are some Pink/Vienna White plants available at SAB store

Edited by Justler

Indeed. But as a first resort, thought I'd ask around. 

Someone here sent me a NL clone but it's dangerously ill.