The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-bijanto-

An 'Imminent' Visit to Melbourne

I'm going to visit Melbourne on August, anyone here lives nearby?

I don't know what I'm gonna do there for ten weeks, except for studying english...anything interesting there to see while I'm free from the class room? Maybe a source of real kava-kava plant, a book store that sells complete collection of ethnobot books? Any botanical garden? Funky nurseries?

One of you guy (I think) wrote me a friendly letter, thank you..I just wanna say that I would really love to bring many ethnobot stuffs like Cola seeds, Nutmeg seeds/arils, Betel nuts, but I'm afraid I wouldn't dare to do that, firstly because I've heard how Aussie customs treat this matter, 2. because I look like a creature from 'the' bombings country, and 3. because the essay writing competition was held by your radio and the all-expense paid prize to study and stay there will be awarded personally by your ambassador David Ritchie... so I'm kinda hesitate to do anything that might be against them.

[ 08. April 2005, 22:15: Message edited by: -bijanto- ]

You should have a real cool time.

You won't feel out of place because Melbourne has a big asian population.

Check out Brunswick St.Fitzroy which is near the city.

There is(was?) a great little nursery down there and there's a bookshop called Polyester which has heaps of books that should interest you.

If you're interested in cacti, go and check out GardenWorld. You have to get a train and then a bus but it's well worth your time.

It'll blow you away! :D

Melbourne Botanic Gardens also has got a good cactus area.

And if you get homesick for Indo food there are a couple of big Indonesian supermarkets and a good restaurant on Hawthorn Rd. Hawthorn?

Have a blast! :)

EDIT: So you've won a 10 week study tour to Oz? Congradulations! :cool: What was the essay on?

[ 08. April 2005, 23:32: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

yeah, congratulations! more details would be great.

don't bother bringing anything that would get you a slap on the wrists---i guess you'd be acting as a kind ov ambassador for your country.

Polyester bookshop is well worth a look, like everything Strangebrew mentioned.

also check out the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, located in Federation Square,

Flinders St, Melbourne.

http://www.acmi.net.au/

Strangebrew & Nabraxas,

Thank's heaps, I'm putting into a note of all the above great places/link.

Fortunatelly my mom's a Czech so I guess I won't be surprised with the food or the european atmosphere. It will be like 'deja vu' to me. When I was in Sydney for 2 weeks I felt like I was a new-born baby and time ran out so quickly, as if I'm sitting on Marilyn Monroe's sexy lap.

By the way, the essay question was something like: "give your suggestion on how to make a better relationships between indonesia-australia, in less than 500 words".

I guess I didn't write anything special on my essay, but my thoughts of this forum when I was writing had motivated me somewhat in giving a passion into the essay. I personally believe that we can make a better world by sharing our love on plants. However I didn't mention anything about plants on this forum, I just mentioned some actual issues such as terrorism and the earthquake/tsunami.

[ 13. April 2005, 12:44: Message edited by: -bijanto- ]

yeah i agree u must checkout polyester books

bijanto--thanks for abit more detail. i agree w/you totally but i truely believe that we have much more than plants binding us together; in fact

quote:

I personally believe that we can make a better world by sharing our love

--says it totally.

you should also take time to have a look at the melbourne botanical gardens, i don't know about species; but it's a beautiful park anyways.

also try get down to the dandenongs, sherbrooke

excellent bush walks and depending when uy com u may find some little goodies;)

Well, I've just been here for 9 days.

Terrific, I love Melboune :D

Hi biJanto welcome to OZ :D

Is there still ethno-meets in Melb? does anyone know if so maybe biJanto you could go to one and meet some similar people who love plants :D

welcome bijanto,

you've come at a good time, the weathers actually ok for once.

im not sure if there are any meets going on in melb, would be good tho

hey Young Tripper, love that quote :D

Thank's mates, this city has a lot of cool stuffs, for example I can find meals from the whole world by just walking down a few blocks...and there are some street artists performing arts on Swanston St.

I saw hundreds of ppl gathered around a big screen TV in front of the Federation square watching 'footie' game between Aussie vs New Zealand, where the NZ supporters were dressed up like the Maori tribes with their traditional boat and were singing together. Man, they were so full of enthusiasm there... never seen anything like that before.

[ 07. September 2005, 04:09: Message edited by: -bijanto- ]

Please document your experiences here for all us frogs and desert toads who can't stand the cold down there

This federation square thing has my head spinning I tell ya.I have had these repetitive dreams for about 5 years now about this abstract looking mini city with night clubs,pubs,restaraunts and gift shops.The dreams show the place is located near water and a train terminal.

About a month ago I saw an episode late at night on getaway about federation square and I'm like "WTF this is the place I've been dreaming about!!"

Never knew it existed til then...wicked shit!

Sorry to diverge