The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
john

M.speciosa seeds

Hi People,

Has anyone had success in germinating seeds from this species. I have got about 3 plants to germinate by plating many whole seed pods in potting spoil and keeping it damp. That's less than 1%success rate and the plantlets died after two months.

I have placed separated seeds on dampened paper and watched them but no signs of germination is evident.

I am going to try heating, flame, H2O2, acid and abrasion. Has anyone else tried these methods please?

I have some spare seeds if anyone is after some. Mine is the green variety and to me seems only chemically active when flowering or in rapid growth periods.

john S

Hi John, I’m unable to help you with germination techniques, but am definitely keen for some seed. Have sent you a pm

cheers

Edited by Groot

On 30/01/2021 at 3:34 PM, john said:

Hi People,

Has anyone had success in germinating seeds from this species. I have got about 3 plants to germinate by plating many whole seed pods in potting spoil and keeping it damp. That's less than 1%success rate and the plantlets died after two months.

I have placed separated seeds on dampened paper and watched them but no signs of germination is evident.

I am going to try heating, flame, H2O2, acid and abrasion. Has anyone else tried these methods please?

I have some spare seeds if anyone is after some. Mine is the green variety and to me seems only chemically active when flowering or in rapid growth periods.

john S

Hi john S,

I'd try to carefully remove the seeds from the ripe pods - yeah man i know they're very small....tiny even.

Anyway, then get a heat mat and a take away container.

Fill the container about half way full with coco coir.  Drench the coco coir until its all moist and drain off excess water.

Then sprinkle the seeds over the top of the media.

Don't pat them down or cover them.....just sprinkle on top of coco.

Place container on heat mat but put a towel or a piece of cardboard between the container and the heat mat otherwise you'll cook em..

Close container with lid and put on the pad.

You should be able to see humidity inside the lid and the container should be just warm to the touch - not hot.

If you are able to, place  small light (perhaps a t5  or fluoro) but t5 is a very good light source over the top and give them 18 hrs or so of light ( maybe set a timer).

If they are viable, they should start to germinate after a couple of weeks.

Then feed them a 1/4 strength hydroponic grow solution. After a couple of months you should have enough sets of leaves to carefully lift each one out and plant into small pots( say 100 mm) in a high humidity environment away from strong sun. Diffused/dappled light is suffice.

By the time they're ready to go into a nice potting mix and into diffused sunlight can take 4 months.

Heat, high humidity and patience will see you with a small army of tiny, beautiful seedlings buddy.

Happy growing man

• Like 1

Many thanks for the detailed instructions. They look like they should work. The temp and humidity are both high here at the moment so I will try without heat mat first.

I have managed to get the seeds out while they are formed but still slightly green. Thanks for passing this on.

I just read that viability is low even for seeds straight off the tree, and decreases with each passing day. Some sources say anything more than 2 weeks old are unviable. Will give it a go regardless. Thanks for the seeds.

tort, germinated the rifat clone, but intruders (darcy) call it something like 4 seasons kratom or so...

so the rifat clone, grows into a tree displaying maybe 3 or 4 different growth stages.

big leaves (a growth spurt) are displayed as well next to flowering branches, and branches already setting seed.

most trees, go trough phases of seasonal development, ( big leaves after the season starts, than flowering, than seed capsule's are formed).

rifat torts, clone display's all this normaly seasonal features at the very same time.

in short, this kratom tree, doesn't go through seasonal phaseses of development,

but produces them at the very same time.

like an apple tree, displaying spring flush,

spring flowers, and fall fruits at the very same time.

thats rifats kratom.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
dyslexia
  • Like 2

gomaos (spell) once told me maybe 15 years ago, that he germinated the seeds of his rifat clone.

i have inspected the seed pods of this tree, since years, and do remember some detail of some posts, regarding this subject.

i assume as followes:

the spheres which display, tiny "hollow spikes" emerging of the spherical seed capsule, are pollinated.

when the sphere is dried up, shrivel the sphere, and use a strong magnifying glass to inspect the "teardrop" shaped seeds.

some will be more swollen than others, they are the good seeds.

i sprikled many seeds on top of some seed raising potting mix, and use a humidety dome.

i report back with the proress.