The Corroboree
Sir Jeans

What do you think this is worth? HUGE T. Bridgesii Monstrose "Penis Plant" Cactus

Hi All!

I'm looking for a valuation of a very special and old grafted T. Bridgesii Monstrose plant that I have.

I'm moving interstate for an opportunity that will allow me to move towards becoming a scientist in the area of psychedelic psychotherapy, and I'm trying to raise funds to help make this move more feasible.

I'm quite attached to it, but if I can get a decent sum I'd be willing to part ways with it.

Below is the advert I was considering putting up on eBay.

How much do you think this is worth?

I was thinking of having a fairly high auction starting price because I'm not desparate to sell, and because I'd hate for it to go for only a couple of hudred dollars or so.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

1146570483_Monstrose1.thumb.jpg.83cdcf44be03318b065b81649ad57c56.jpg610044085_Monstrose2.thumb.jpg.0620c0c742e4163039dfdea0d8d1eca7.jpg708338893_Monstrose3.thumb.jpg.95cdee7f074c4373f01706af75698b02.jpg1204680155_Monstrose4.thumb.jpg.b987a5f8e95e3cc7a57ecd077780e902.jpg1374581614_Monstrose5.thumb.jpg.46025115b06482af9a02f1b866665c46.jpg

HUGE Trichocereus Bridgesii Monstrose "Penis plant" Cactus Specimen!

It is extremely rare to find a specimen this large and in such good condition!

This is for serious cactus collectors or anyone who wants a truly impressive and unusual feature plant.

The plant is 57cm tall, measured from the top of the pot to the top of the plant (not including spines or the height of the pot).

The plant is 31cm wide at the widest point (not including spines).

The scion was grafted onto a San Pedro (T. Pachanoi) base approximately 11 years ago. If you want, you could repot the plant a bit deeper and bury most of the San Pedro base so that only the grafted scion section is visible. I'm happy to provide advice on this on request.

The plant has never had any diseases or other issues. It has been kept under a veranda, which allows it to receive morning sun until about 11.00am. It has been shielded from the sun during the middle of the day and the evening. 

It is acclimatised to the climate of Adelaide, Australia. Being a very resilient and hardy cactus, it will thrive in most conditions. 

I have deliberately grown it in such a way that it looks most impressive from a front-on angle against a wall or in a corner (see photos). 

This plant will be packaged with extreme care to ensure that it arrives in excellent condition. Local pickup is also available from Adelaide, South Australia.

Thank you for visiting!

1146570483_Monstrose1.thumb.jpg.83cdcf44be03318b065b81649ad57c56.jpg

610044085_Monstrose2.thumb.jpg.0620c0c742e4163039dfdea0d8d1eca7.jpg

708338893_Monstrose3.thumb.jpg.95cdee7f074c4373f01706af75698b02.jpg

1204680155_Monstrose4.thumb.jpg.b987a5f8e95e3cc7a57ecd077780e902.jpg

1374581614_Monstrose5.thumb.jpg.46025115b06482af9a02f1b866665c46.jpg

1146570483_Monstrose1.thumb.jpg.83cdcf44be03318b065b81649ad57c56.jpg

610044085_Monstrose2.thumb.jpg.0620c0c742e4163039dfdea0d8d1eca7.jpg

708338893_Monstrose3.thumb.jpg.95cdee7f074c4373f01706af75698b02.jpg

1204680155_Monstrose4.thumb.jpg.b987a5f8e95e3cc7a57ecd077780e902.jpg

1374581614_Monstrose5.thumb.jpg.46025115b06482af9a02f1b866665c46.jpg

Edited by Sir Jeans
  • Like 2

A similar sized TBM on its own roots recently went for 200 on the Aus auction group. I think you could get this or more at auction.

Curious to hear more about your PAP opportunity. The few Australians I know who are trained in this area have had to do it through MAPS internationally. If your opportunity is in any way related to MMA I'd advise caution! 

Good luck on your path, what an exciting time :)

Thanks guys, that's good to hear. Probably less than what I'd be willing to part with it for, so glad that I know that before putting it up for auction! The plan with PAP is to do a Masters in Psychology, to add to my PhD. I'm already well established in a field of research that's not too far away from PAP so this is the logical next step. I've met a few of the MMA people, but I'm not closely linked with them, and yeah I keep hearing not-so-good things about that group. Shame, given that they're one of the most active groups in this area in Aus atm.

• Like 1

Hiya Sir Jeans -

That's one beauty of a TBM and most definitely worth taking to auction to get the best price...love that cluster of aerial roots too, just gives it some added character !

In regards to moving interstate for a P-a-P opportunity - BE VERY CAUTIOUS with what Mind Medicine are offering. The old adage, If it sounds too good to be true it probably is !

They are promising a lot at the moment - as they attempt to fast-track legal psychedelic-assisted-psychotherapy however they can. They are founded by investment bankers, venture capitalists and upper-class socialites whose recent experiences with psilocybin at legal retreats overseas have given them the ole' psychedelic evangelical fervour we often get in the early days. So in order to endure their success they have paired up with LNP members and other powerful figures with questionable ethics who will help them achieve this as son as they can (I suspect undoubtedly they have money invested in a legal MDMA/psilocybin-synthesis company here or Overseas that they can utilise if/when the law changes here).

In any case, what they promise in terms of training for psychedelic-assisted-psychotherapy is problematic, firstly it's entirely predicated upon them getting the TGA to reschedule psilocybin and MDMA (which if they fail; will be anther 4 years before they can apply again) and secondly, the certificate they offer has not yet been recognised by any academic body in Australia so it may be quite worthless in the end ...even though it may be extremely interesting and informative and based on the work of some skilled masters like Stan Grof & individuals from the MAPS team (what concerns me a lot though, is that they deem '3 trips' enough to guide another person through the darkest recesses of their psyche). I would suggest a drivers license type model of 100 hours in the field with a trainer and varying levels of provisionality building up to unsupervised supervision of others be a more suitable pre-requisite to becoming 'a trip sitter'. Also under the MMA model, clinical psychs will be the gatekeepers to who has access to P-A-P under their model and this is very problematic as it omits manifold communities and individuals suffering a range of traumas (not just personal but inter-generational) who simply cannot afford the 10s of 1000s of dollars that will be required to access this treatment legally. This is also entirely hypocritical when their own motivation for trying psilocybin in the first place was 'curiosity' (as it is for many people and is a perfectly valid motive), yet its beyond their remit to support decriminalisation efforts in Australia ..so unless you can afford to go where its legal to have your 'enlightening moment' then you'll be classed alongside meth addicts and heroin users under the current law. 

Anyway, I would probably have jumped at the opportunity too a few years ago - and there are so many people excited that their passion for psychedelics can now finally be recognised as legitimate and a way to help others. But my advice for now, would be to stick to the academic route whatever your field is (psychology, psychiatry, counselling, addiction services, health sciences, psycho-pharmacology, molecular biology, organic chemistry or even social sciences like anthropology, sociology, communications, philosophy, etc) even marketing and networking are skills sought after by psychedelic start-ups right now. And guaranteed, an absolute myriad of opportunities will open up over the next few years from numerous facets of this rapidly growing global community (personally I feel MMA just wanna be the first across the line in Oz merely for the kudos and social credit...given their reluctance to acknowledge other orgs that have existed for decades within the psychedelic space in OZ), so be patient as others are waiting in the wings to either take advantage of MMAs hubris and naive exuberance OR preparing to move into the legal psychedelic therapy space regardless. 

Soz for the rant bro, but there's a lot of fishiness about this org and people should be well-informed before parting with their hard earned wages to a group of directors, shareholders and the privileged private school boys who've never really had to work toooo hard to get where they are now. All the best (and feel free to pm me anytime if you think I can help further) and hope ya get a good price for the TBM there - its a fine specimen indeed :)

cheers,
Flux

• Like 2

5 years ago, $200 to $250 would be right. I think on the auction group now you could expect closer to $500.

• Like 1

I've never seen a grafted TBM listed for sale. 

I bought a 15-year-old, 40-segment TBM for $200, around 5 years ago (I was the sole bidder on eBay). Since then, I've never paid more for any TBM than about $5 per segment (and I've owned at least half a dozen large specimens). 

In recent months there's been a huge volume of TBM listed on eBay (it's a buyer's market). But not many TBM sellers are able to provide high-quality specimens, from what I've seen. 

Supply and demand, I guess. You might be able to get more of a return by de-grafting segments for individual sale.

• Like 1

I've never seen a regular TBM go for anything near $500 on the auction group, and I pay pretty close attention. Sometimes you get lucky with noobs who overbid (I think I saw an 8cm unremarkable, unnamed pachanoi pup go for $50 the other day) but if Jeans is attached to this plant auctioning with an expectation for more than $200 is a bit of a risk. I went through the past 150 or so TBM auctions on the page and the highest price one has gone for is $200 for a plant on its own roots of a similar size to Jeans' - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1760240260797025

Some other highish TBM auction bids from the group for the curious
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1756921347795583/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1708922139262171/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1718515141636204/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1703944516426600/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1710236422464076/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1316453921842330/permalink/1762114667276251/

Thanks for that Flux, I appreciate you taking the time to write all that up. I'm not especially involved with MMA and don't plan to be, and although I think they've done some good stuff so far, I also do get a very entrepreneurial / commercial vibe from them that doesn’t resonate with me strongly, and I do keep hearing things like what you wrote from people. I'm going to forge my own path in this domain and pursue clinical psych - I already have a PhD, so getting a Masters as well will set me up perfectly as both a researcher and practitioner. I think the question of who should be able to administer PAP is an interesting one. I think it's probably necessary for this to be tightly restricted (e.g. to clinical psychs) at the outset to support a gradual shift toward decriminalisation, legalisation, regulation (and to avoid another Tim Leary kind of situation), even though this would sadly exclude many other competent practitioners. There's also the problem that, as you allude to, it takes more than just doing a course or having three trips to really know the experience and the potential of entheogens and how to handle them well, and there are many clinical psychs who would absolutely not be competent to do this kind of work. Perhaps once PAP gets established and the relevant authorities see that it won't be the undoing of society as we know it, things may become more relaxed with the possibility of other practitioners entering the scene, such as counsellors, traditional healers, etc. Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to fascinating to see what unfolds in the next few years!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing all those links Wile E. Peyote, I didn't expect anyone to do that kind of research and I really appreciate you taking the time! That gives me a good sense of what a fair price might be, thank you :) 

Fyzygy, I had considered the idea of degrafting and making individual plants, athough I think it'd also be a bit of a shame to cut the plant up.

All things considered, I reckon I might just hang on to this plant and leave it as is, I am quite fond of it, and I was quite proud of the wedge-shaped graft I had to do in order to save the one areole that the original scion had!

If anyone is curious, I also found this auction that is currently happening on eBay, with about two days remaining. So far it's up to about $150:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FTricho-Bridgesii-Monstrose-variety-Rare-Penis-Cactus-Sacred-Shaman%2F203205585470%3Fhash%3Ditem2f4fff2a3e%3Ag%3ANc4AAOSwZYFfx1eK%26fbclid%3DIwAR3lvbhXCnA9bbnrN18YdpmWt9GOT3KQnsoEmslt9wZgAiEeqtOVEON7Ep0&h=AT37o7vfvff8DxsAGMO1rKJzN0uzfkmbF4OmIzSK_UPmZm9v_cpzVVvRGwvZF1J48blzJDuaqG7QiojR8P3aTfctpl1yiYvzwZJNJNxiAukDQ0sLiK0HG3p0WpUQhGAXHys

• Like 2

That's a lovely specimen!

I wish I had a photo of the TBM I saw in South Africa that was bigger than a car. Now that was a "huge" TBM. Not shitting you. 

Edited by MORG