The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheDudeAbides

Alcohol tinctures

A thread for alcohol extraction recipes and links. 

I'm currently surfing for the best methods. If you have any you'd like to contribute, let this be the place.  

Namaste.

Add water to mushrooms. Strain out mushrooms. Evaporate liquid. Add alcohol to remaining residue. Enjoy tincture.

Interesting side discussion more relevant to water than alcohol - using acidic water may make extraction more efficient. Using heated water (<100c) can reduce extraction time but risks reducing potency. Ascorbic acid may protect psilocybin from heat degradation. 

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 2

Never had success with this so very interested in Wile E's method.

Have tried this-  https://www.trufflemagic.com/simple-method-psilocybin-extraction/. Followed very closely and ended up with a greasy, pungent goo.

Have tried this- https://www.amazon.com/Psilocybin-Mushroom-Bible-Definitive-Mushrooms/dp/1937866289. This is a good book but the alcohol extraction method is similar to the trufflemagic one above with similar results.

CRYSTALS OF THE GODS is a good read. Gets technical. Left me a bit confused overall but I'm sure it makes sense to the more experienced out there. The entry by Solly the Printman seems promising and relatively simple.

The crystal of the gods method seems to use heat during the soak (which seems a bit weird but may help extraction?) but I think more interesting is the freeze precipitation. My interpretation is that this tek suggests putting an alcohol mushroom extract in the freezer will allow the good stuff to solidify, so the alcohol can then be poured off and discarded. I'd be interested to learn if this works, and if it does, I feel the main benefit of this over the simple water extract method would be a purer final product. I feel like this would only be important if you wanted to freebase or are trying to quantify mushroom content. I think the technique described by Solly is just like the truffle magic tek, without evaporation.

The thing is, alcohol will extract lots of things besides the good stuff from mushrooms, which is why the resulting product is darker and thicker in consistency than when water is used as a solvent.