The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheDudeAbides

Liquid extract - oil

Fellow Mycophiles.

I'm wondering if anyone has extracted Psilocybin into oil. There is little information on how to do this. If there's any resources out there - let this be the place to share.

Namaste. 

I thought psilocybin was water-soluble.

But if it's possible to infuse water with (fat-soluble) THC, then I don't see why not. 

You can definitely make an alcohol tincture of psilo, not sure whether or not that could be mixed with oil. I don't think you can extract psilo into oil though.

Not sure what you mean by "into oil" but an extract using 180proof spirits works well and will cold evaporate quite quickly under a fan resulting in a golden colored oil substance(so i'm told anyway....).

Something like polmos spirytus which you can get from dan murphy should work well but isn't exactly cheap. Other solvents would prob work as well, naphtha(shellite) is good at sucking up a broad range of things and could be worth a try.

• Like 1

I've heard of it being done into alcohol, to a kind of 1 gram = 1 ml ratio of potency. Rumours of course.

On 28/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Glaukus said:

Just need to ask why oil? Are you looking to make a topical application?

I'd like to place the psilo into a dropper for micro dosing purposes. I figured an oil base would be the go. But perhaps not? Maybe a water blend would be the way to go? 

On 28/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, fyzygy said:

I thought psilocybin was water-soluble.

But if it's possible to infuse water with (fat-soluble) THC, then I don't see why not. 

For it to be water soluble does one have to extract the crystals first? 

No, making tea is dissolving it in water.

The only issue with a water solution is it will spoil rapidly. You'd be better off making an alcohol tincture.

I should also note where i said you could use maybe use naphtha or other solvents instead, if that did work(again not 100% sure) you would need to make sure you evaporate it off completely (as most solvents are extremely poisonous) and then if you wanted it in a liquid form you would then need to redissolves what was left after complete evaporation into a small amount of high proof alcohol. 

A couple drops of lemon extract in the final solution could also be beneficial but not sure how that would effect it's shelf life.

Edit: On second thought I don't think naphtha was the solvent i was thinking of, there is one that has both polar and non polar attributes that can be used for broad solubility that could be worth a try when in doubt but I'm pretty sure it's not naphtha. 

Edited by ZooL

On 30/10/2020 at 6:03 PM, Glaukus said:

No, making tea is dissolving it in water.

The only issue with a water solution is it will spoil rapidly. You'd be better off making an alcohol tincture.

Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose you have any useful links to making alcohol tinctures? 

1 hour ago, TheDudeAbides said:

Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose you have any useful links to making alcohol tinctures? 

I have no idea whether this is a good tek, never tried it. I think it if was me, I'd probably do it without the heat, just leave them in for a long time in the fridge, maybe with a pinch of citric acid, then if it needed reducing, I'd probably let that happen without heat also.

Water is the most common solvent choice for psilocybin containing mushrooms, AFAIK. I can't think of many advantages of using either alcohol or oil over water.

Even if you were making a tincture, it would probably be cleaner and cheaper to do a water extract first and add alcohol after. You could also add oil after.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote

I have read of people using honey in the days before they were made illegal. 

Psychedelic honey sounds awesome :)

1 hour ago, sharxx101 said:

Psychedelic honey sounds awesome :)

Store dried powdered mushroom in honey for many years without losing potency, or so I read (and even tried once, though not for years).