The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Northerner

Wanted: Passiflora Incarnata

Still looking for a live cut of this plant. Can trade all sorts of things or even cold hard cash if needed.

Edited by Northerner
spleleling

I'm pruning back my two passiflora, but I think they're both edulis. Still, if you want cuttings they're going in the compost otherwise :)

Thanks nothinghead, I've got edulis, specifically chasing incarnata for it's other medicinal properties.

Yep fair enough. Wouldn't discount giving your edulis a try in the meantime. Particularly leaves seem to get neglected:

"Various species of Passiflora have been used extensively in the traditional system of therapeutics in many countries. In South America, leaf extracts of P. edulis have been popularly used for the treatment of symptoms of alcoholism, anxiety, migraine, nervousness, and insomnia. A drink from the flower was considered to treat asthma, bronchitis, and whooping cough...

"P. edulis has been used as a sedative, diuretic, anthelmintic, antidiarrheal, stimulant, tonic, and also in the treatment of hypertension, menopausal symptoms, colic of infants in South America" (Chopra et al., 1956; Kirtikar and Basu, 1975). In Madeire, the fruit of P. edulis is regarded as a digestive stimulant and is used as a remedy for gastric carcinoma (Watt and Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). In Nagaland (India), fresh leaves of P. edulis are boiled in little amount of water and the extract is drunk for the treatment of dysentery and hypertension (Jamir et al., 1999). Fruits are eaten to get relief from constipation. P. edulis leaf infusion has been used to treat hysteria and insomnia in Nigeria (Nwosu, 1999). The plant is widely cultivated in India (Kirtikar and Basu, 1975). The leaves are applied on the head for giddiness and headache; a decoction is given in biliousness and asthma. The fruit is used as an emetic. The plant has been used as an analgesic, antispasmodic, antiasthmatic, wormicidal, and sedative in Brazil; as sedative and narcotic in Iraq; in diseased conditions like dysmenorrhea, epilepsy, insomnia, neurosis, and neuralgia in Turkey; to cure hysteria and neurasthenia in Poland; in diarrhea, dysmenorrhea, neuralgia, burns, hemorrhoids, and insomnia in America (Taylor, 1996). This plant is widely used by the South African traditional healers. These traditional uses include alcohol withdrawal, antibacterial, antiseizure, antispasm, aphrodisiac, asthma, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, burns (skin), cancer, chronic pain, cough, drug addiction, Epstein–Barr virus, fungal infections, gastrointestinal discomfort (nervous stomach), Helicobacter pylori infection, hemorrhoids, high blood pressure, menopausal symptoms (hot flashes), nerve pain, pain (general), skin inflammation, tension, and wrinkle prevention (Barbosa et al., 2008; Ingale and Hivrale, 2010)." (Taiwe & Kuete 2017).

One hell of an overlooked plant hey. I reckon the MAOI properties are much higher in incarnata though.

I had one years back that made a nice tea, but i didn't have edulis to compare it to back then. gl finding one there must be heaps around.

Mines just coming back up after winter i pulled a few suckers out a few days ago if they root i'll pop you a msg i didn't think it was that hard to get hold of.

• Like 1

I got one on the way from another member od101010. If it doesn't work out I'll hit you up mate.

You should definitely propagate them anyway, would definitely sell on eBay even if you don't have a use for them. The more going around Aus the better.

MMM damiana and passiflora tea, hadn't had one in ages killed my damiana over winter :(

• Like 1