The Corroboree
Pedro99

Did I trip from drying mugwort wtf

I trimmed up one of my mugwort plants last night with the intention of using it as a tobacco substitute to get off those dirty darts. I put the leaves in my dehydrator inside at about 50c. 

I also took a half tab of "zyban" aka welbutrin, an anti depressant med that helps a lot with cravings. I've used it in the past successfully to quit smoking. 

After about 15 minutes I began feeling a little queasy and light headed (feelings I had never experienced from the zyban).

This progressed into a mild maybe psychedelic state mostly with closed eyes, but some paintings on the walls were slightly swimming. There was a definite shift in consciousness.

I turned the dehydrator off as the feeling was pretty uncomfortable and I was developing a headache. The vibe was a kind of witchy one, somewhat dark and taunting but still mild. 

I've drank mugwort in tea before with no noticeable effects. Was I tripping from the pharma or the herbs? Anyone experienced something like this? 

https://sites.evergreen.edu/plantchemeco/mugwort/

"Mugwort’s strong camphorlike oils, when inhaled, open up chambers of ancient memory within the brain ..."

Never tried it myself. 

Headaches etc. could be an allergic reaction: https://www.verywellhealth.com/mugwort-benefits-side-effects-dosage-and-interactions-4767226

Edited by fyzygy
Additional info
  • Like 1

A lot of folk magic recommend putting fresh mugwort under your pillow for lucid dreaming and recalling dreams.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience when I put some bay leaves in an essential oil warmer.

On 25/09/2020 at 5:17 PM, Glaukus said:

Could be from vaporised thujone? What temp was your dehydrator set on? 

around 45-50C, will do it lower next time.

On 26/09/2020 at 6:44 AM, fyzygy said:

https://sites.evergreen.edu/plantchemeco/mugwort/

"Mugwort’s strong camphorlike oils, when inhaled, open up chambers of ancient memory within the brain ..."

Never tried it myself. 

Headaches etc. could be an allergic reaction: https://www.verywellhealth.com/mugwort-benefits-side-effects-dosage-and-interactions-4767226

Very interesting fyzygy, that quote really hits it on the head. My mind wandered to old memories that I never really think about, pretty run of the mill stuff but I was definitely taken on a journey to my past. I was reliving when I was staying with my nan in a small country town and used to spend ages at the video shop choosing 10 for 10$, not that interesting but a very lonely time for me and it felt like I was in the present dealing with those past emotions which were stronger than I had realised.

23 hours ago, greenechidna said:

A lot of folk magic recommend putting fresh mugwort under your pillow for lucid dreaming and recalling dreams.

I'd heard that too, and hadn't taken the plant too seriously tbh. There's a reason this plant and many others were so revered for such a long time.

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

I had a similar experience when I put some bay leaves in an essential oil warmer.

From a quick search it seems both plants have a pretty high eucalyptol content. I wonder if that's part of it?

"Eucalyptol comprises up to 90 percent of the essential oil of some species of the generic product Eucalyptus oil, hence the common name of the compound. It is also found in camphor laurel, bay leaves, tea tree, mugwort, sweet basil, wormwood, rosemary, sage and other aromatic plant foliage."

Also found in cannabis, but I guess if true people would be tripping from their eucalyptus oil..

Bro i threw out zyban.. made me feel HORRID.. 

dude one time i actually sat infront of a diffuser with atleast 30 drops of eucalyptus oil and i was just breathing mindfully staring at the vapours.. the smell was insane.. but i looked at my couch and had the full DMT style warping of my vision for about 30 seconds or so and it faded.. i did this atleast 5 times.. youve seen the “LSD visuals optical illusion” videos on youtube right? Nah man this was like an actual trip.. but my concentration and focus on my breathing combined with the eucalyptus might have added to it.. but ive stared at diffusers since then and have never been able to recreate the DMT effects lol

mugwort has thujone in it tho.. but bro ive taken literally 30 drops of the SAB wormwood oil sublingually and felt next to nothing.. i still have the oil.