The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Black Rainbow

Courtii counter website survey

I'm in the process of setting up a website to keep track of ex-situ courtii. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the data the website will collect about these plants. The draft survey for collecting this data is as follows:

State:
City:
Plant quantity. From seeds: (0-10 000) From cuttings: (0-10 000)
Where did you get the propagation material for these plants?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How old are these plants? (0-100)
What are the growing conditions of these plants? (how much sun do they get, how do you fertilise them, what growing medium are they in, etc.)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How many of these plants have flowered? (0- 10 000)
Are there Acacia growing nearby? (Y/N)
If yes, can you tell us which Acacia species?

Are these plants experiencing any health issues? (i.e. galls, borers, symptoms with unknown causes etc.)
Have you registered these plants at courtii counter before? (Y/N)
Is there anything else relevant to courtii conservation that you would like to share with us?

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
Included Glaukus' suggestion
  • Like 1

Maybe a health check might be worth adding too.

Eg have any trees been affected by galls, borers etc. 

Are any trees experiencing die back etc.

• Thanks 1

Hey bro,

Great idea, not sure how accurate it will be if the data is only collected here as quite a few plants may have been distributed via the SAB Facebook site (many members of which do not even visit the forum here and think the two are one and the same). 

I think I would have a hard time even recollecting the ones I have grown and given to friends as well as ones grown from seed and distributed more broadly. JP may be a good place to start as he was distributing them for Communication back in X-Mas of 2015 going into the New Year of 2016.

PS - I've never had any flower even the ones from 5 years ago..is there a trick to boosting/encouraging flowering (other than a beehive) ?

cheers :)

Hey Flux, 

I think you're right, there is a good chance that people won't or can't catalogue their plants, but I still think it is worthwhile. The idea is to start a stand alone website for this catalogue which could then be promoted widely online and within the community.

I'm not sure about tricks for flowering, I know of only a few growers that have had success so far. Maybe @Glaukus or @communacacian can chime in?

I don't know if I can say there are any tricks for flowering. I just plant them in the ground and let them be. I don't water them, I don't fertilise them, they just grow and after a few years they flower. I had seed pods forming late last year but the brutal hot dry early summer made them abort. Hopefully this year.

Pretty sure @Psyentist got seeds from his last year...

Edited by Glaukus
Tag

@Wile E. Peyote can send you some info on mine if it helps you learn anything in any way at all? Still quite young, at 18 months and 3 months. But happy to send it to you if it's going to help you at all.

Cheers