The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DJ-MC

takeaway tek alternatives

i've used plastic sliced cheese containers with good success. poked some small holes for drainage on the bottom and gas exchange on the top, small enough that moisture can't leave the container quickly. When your seedlings are big enough, slowly acclimatise them to lower humidity by taking the lid off for increasing amounts of time. it's effectively the same as takeaway tek, which works very well also if you get the other factors right.

If you are having trouble getting it to work, you might want to look at the substrate you are using. germinating cactus seeds is a lot easier if you are using course, sharp sand.

The seedling kit you are looking at would work too, but if you can use items that are free (and recycled) you might as well.

• Like 1

i never understood the takeaway tek myself, had minimal success with it personally.
my best results have been from growing in small open pots/containers, they require much more observation/upkeep but seem far more effective overall.

i've just recently bought a seahawk heating mat and a 600w led array (some chinese model so we'll see how that goes), as well as built up a frame so i can set up the whole thing on my desk nicely. I'm planning on using a 38cm x 31cm full size seed tray with ice cream container divisions.

if you're interested i'll post some pics etc. 

• Like 2

I use takeaway tek and only leave it closed for a month or so, holes in bottom, don’t bother with microwaving etc....

so basically just use takeawaycontainers as plant pots which I close for a month to germinate lol

had great success with it. 

• Like 2

If you get the Takeaway tek right it's "set and forget".

Most issues faced involve the amount of water added, and where the unit is placed. My first batch worked, Next batch failed, Then I fried my seedlings in the hot sun. There's a lot that can go wrong. LOL

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

On 13/05/2020 at 10:04 AM, saguaro said:

i've used plastic sliced cheese containers with good success. poked some small holes for drainage on the bottom and gas exchange on the top, small enough that moisture can't leave the container quickly. When your seedlings are big enough, slowly acclimatise them to lower humidity by taking the lid off for increasing amounts of time. it's effectively the same as takeaway tek, which works very well also if you get the other factors right.

If you are having trouble getting it to work, you might want to look at the substrate you are using. germinating cactus seeds is a lot easier if you are using course, sharp sand.

The seedling kit you are looking at would work too, but if you can use items that are free (and recycled) you might as well.

I used 40/60 mix of coco peat and sieved coarse sand from bunnings for the most part but did a few in just straight up sand and a few other mixes just for some trial and experience.

you got me thinking of more resourceful ways of going about this though, I was seeking convenience more or less having all my seedlings in a couple of containers rather than small containers everywhere.

On 14/05/2020 at 3:11 PM, totemgoat said:

i never understood the takeaway tek myself, had minimal success with it personally.

my best results have been from growing in small open pots/containers, they require much more observation/upkeep but seem far more effective overall.

i've just recently bought a seahawk heating mat and a 600w led array (some chinese model so we'll see how that goes), as well as built up a frame so i can set up the whole thing on my desk nicely. I'm planning on using a 38cm x 31cm full size seed tray with ice cream container divisions.

if you're interested i'll post some pics etc. 

definately interested in some pics was the main reason I started this thread to get some ideas for what kind of setup I'd want to get going.

Im a wrap for the take away tek, heres my 2cents.  

Wipe NEW containers/lids well with isopropyl, paying some attention to the lip of the lid, get in that groove. Sadly recycled containers that once contained chinese food seem to stay a little greasy no matter how you clean them.  Ive also found that other containers you might get food in (ie cheese) dont seal airtight. NO,  holes for breathing or drainage.....airtight.

I normally just use seed raising mix, you want something that will hold a little water.  20mm or so high and tamped down with something flat that you've sterilized.

Dont be tempted to overdo the water.  I reckon about 30mls for a round container as a starting point.  It should look like your soil is only 1/2 wet (not pooling in the bottom).  After a few goes you can judge by weight.

Sprinkle in seeds next (after watering) and close the lid, taking care to not touch the inside surfaces of the lid or bottom.  Put in a window with filtered light.  DONT open them, you'll be surprised how easily algae can form if you do.  It varies but id average about 4-6 months before putting into trays.

20191211_221741.thumb.jpg.fe43ab27d9d6fc485116bef03b0ce5c4.jpg

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 2

I'm all for the takeaway tek. Once you have it dialed in I'm with Halcyon as set and forget. 

I use new containers, and then recycle them for the job. Also found once there has been fats/oils in them they never really clean up so I stopped using any previously used for food. 

Getting the moisture right is a key part of dialing them in. I just take my time using a mist bottle, and pretty much just get a feel for the weight. 

Generally use a good seed raising mix, but sometimes mix a little fine sand in, and Lophs I use a thin sand layer on top out of habit. Sometimes I sieve the mix, especially if there is barky bits. The more organics the more problems IMO. Never had any decent results with coir/peat and cacti seeds myself. 

I kick em off under fluoros on a heat mat. Have cooked a few when kicking off under sunlight... Lol... So I avoid it in my growing using TT method. 

Open them up slowly once they've grown a bit, and move into some natural light,crack em open and punch some drainage holes until ready to transplant. 

Tried a few ways before the TT, but get better results for me using it... Also for some non-spikey things. 

• Like 3

its very tricky i found as a novice. i found applying heat to the base of the tek is more important than light initially, then its gets humidity and seeds boom if they are viable. Too many peeps blame themselves or poor technique when in reality it's actually unviable, old seeds.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, Gotta have fresh seeds. They have a half-life of about about 12 months, so every year you wait, like half of them will become un-viable. Some people buying seeds from the UK wonder why their seeds didn't sprout,. Well how long they been sitting in the UK for? A decade? LOL Nobody knows...

You can sow seeds in small pots and put them in a zip lock bag. Pretty much same idea as takeaway containers...

yeh had some awkward convo's with a couple seed vendors when theirs didnt pop alongside trich aus, trich australis and cactilicious lol

I've played with growing cactus from seed years ago but my relationship with ethno's became complicated and this year was my first go at sowing with the season not controlled indoors...

so far the best idea I've seen is small pot's in plastic storage containers.

cheers for the input so far guys :) 

P.S give me pics haha plenty of time to brainstorm before the time comes...