The Corroboree
ZooL

Killing yellow stainer colony?

Is there a fungicide that will be taken up by the mycelium to kill the whole colony?

I have yellow stainers at the back of my property and normal field mushrooms at the front, last year i tried to pull out all the stainers before they dropped their spores but this year they have still spread to an even larger area than last year.

I don't know if this is possible.

I feel like wild fungi kind of just do whatever they want and tend to resist human efforts to control them.

It's an interesting topic though.

Is there anything that eats them that you could introduce biologically?

Edited by Cimi

Glyphosate will do it. I wouldn't put that shit on my property though. :unsure:

I have been in fields where the farmer has used it on lantana along fence lines, and the mushrooms will not fruit there for years (ostensibly due to poisoning of the mycelium).

• Like 1

Even if you go to great lengths to prevent the yellow stainers on your field from sporulating, distant fruitbodies will still sporulate and their spores will be suspended in atmospheric bioaerosols. These will come down with rain on your field. 

There's not much you can do because they share the same niche. 

• Like 1

Yep, I wouldn't throw fungicide or glyphosate on it. Ick.

Have a crack at throwing a fair whack of Aglime on it. Raising the soil pH might discourage that species and encourage a different one. Whether it's one you like or not is another matter

If you have heaps of local used oyster mushroom straw  or other local spent mushroom spawn I'd throw that on top of the aglime.

I haven't tried this, it's just something that's inline with basic mycological and biological processes. Inhibit the thing you don't want, encourage the thing you do

And saguaro is right, there will be spores aplenty, and mushrooms will always come up when conditions are right for them and not their competitors

Yellow stainers prolly occupy an important niche, don't wipe em out

Let us know how you go

• Like 2

That's a good point @Darklight , i had just been thinking of a way to attack the stainers but considering they are gonna just be doing there own thing and fighting againts me i may be better off just trying to favor and encourage some potential competitor. My main issue with them being there is that the ones here only very faintly stain yellow and are really hard to distinguish from the common edible field mushrooms making it harder and harder to be confident im picking and cooking good ones when they are also around. introducing and encouraging some other species that will not only be easier to distinguish but also will work against them may be a better option that just trying to eradicate them, especially consider whats been pointed out that they will likely just be replaced via spores in the wind even if i did kill the whole colony.