The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

Qat - how many days from flowers to seed?

I wonder how many days it takes for seed harvest, assuming there are pollinators to help. They are self pollinated, right? 

Mine took about 6 weeks before the pods opened up, give or take.

• Like 1

Is it it’s first time flowering? The first time mine flowered I was excited for seed but they all dropped off. :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enjaytee said:

Is it it’s first time flowering? The first time mine flowered I was excited for seed but they all dropped off. :(

2nd year! last year mine too did a small flower bunch but dropped them off. this year it seems different, they are more and  they are keeping up,  and I have noticed insect activity on them (narrow leaf, also note I am in the opposite hemisphere) 

10 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Mine took about 6 weeks before the pods opened up, give or take.

thanks! and then they fly off easily?? I mean is it easy to lose them? Asking because one of my flowering plants is not near my home, its a 40 min drive. Hopefully the lock-out will be soon lifted in the north hemisphere. 

I find mine take atleast two months from flower to splitting. Maybe even 3 months. I don’t pay that much attention. The seeds generally stay it the pods. But as soon as some open, you can pick the rest and they’ll split as they dry. Does anyone want planthelper seeds? I can send some fresh ones out for free  aslong as u, in turn send some of them out to others for free. That’s my price. 

• Like 3

is 'planthelper' a wide-leaf variety? I have a wide leaf (from europe) and one narrow leaf (seed grown)..

In any case I would love to try again with some fresh seed (only got one seedling to maturity in my 2 previous attempts) , even though I have learnt how to clone them it by now.   I know that viability goes down fast, do we know how fast? 

thats my narrowleaf

DSCN8937.JPG

DSCN8937.thumb.JPG.0da09a97e1d8fdb9310ed3f505aa0a93.JPG

DSCN8937.thumb.JPG.0da09a97e1d8fdb9310ed3f505aa0a93.JPG

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

Planthelper is from what I understand a cross between the red wide leaf and the narrow leaf variety. The seeds throw green and red, narrow and wide leaves seedlings. And the plants I have are far more vigorous than the red or narrow. And gets loaded heavily with seed every year. Whereas the red doesn’t grow as bushy or vigorous and Sets a lot less seed. 

• Like 1

^^ edited to added a pic of mine

cool, sounds like the good old hybrid vigour. IME up to now, the narrow leaf is more erect while the wide seems to go more untidy (at least in a pot) .  there's a plantshelper picture of seveal forms together somewhere, what we are still missing is a short description of the appearance of each phenotype (that picture isnt too detailed) .. This might help people that grow from seed to know which plant they are growing at least what it mostly looks like.  Thanks for info.