The Corroboree
Cimi

Can people become immune to shrooms over time?

Wondering if this is possible?

Edited by Cimi

You definitely want to space out any dosages by at least two full days as your tolerance is incredibly high after a dose.

It is certainly possible that if you have some kind of serotonin disrupting meds that you may experience zero effects, but I have a friend who alluded to a theory that those on the autism spectrum may also draw a blank as well...? :huh:

Speculation of course. :wink:

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 5:19 PM, Responsible Choice said:

...I have a friend who alluded to a theory that those on the autism spectrum may also draw a blank as well...? :huh:

Yeah maybe they are already there lol

I know someone who reckons he 'turned off the visuals' so as not to distract him from directing all his attention during his trips to spiritual growth, or something... It seems people may become immune to shrooms, but shrooms don't become immune to people.

On 25/03/2020 at 5:19 PM, Responsible Choice said:

You definitely want to space out any dosages by at least two full days as your tolerance is incredibly high after a dose.

It is certainly possible that if you have some kind of serotonin disrupting meds that you may experience zero effects, but I have a friend who alluded to a theory that those on the autism spectrum may also draw a blank as well...? :huh:

IME a lot of folks described as having ASD are on medications for behavioral reasons.  Not a rebuttal though.

If it were true it would make an interesting research topic as we don't yet understand much of the neurology behind autism.

Being on the spectrum is definitely not a guarantee or give a high chance of psychedelics not working as far as I know. (I am on the spectrum)

Yes some are prescribed neuroleptics such as Seroquel which can block trips. However medication is not really that common for autism.

However aside from that anyone can be naturally "immune" to either some psychedelics or all of them.

Sensitivity to psychedelics is not associated with body weight like various drugs, but much more with CNS receptor populations like particularly 5-HT2A but also 5-HT1A among others and depending on the psychedelic. 2C-B for example is something of an exception with regard to the receptors it acts on.

Anyway, IMO one of the best explanations for being "immune", highly insensitive to psychedelics or so-called hardheaded, is having polymorphism of these brain receptors. It means they are built and shaped slightly different and since the binding of drugs works a little like a lock and key this can mean that the psychedelic either cannot bind to the receptor or can bind but does not activate it at all, or does not activate it with the same effect. Because activating 1 receptor can have multiple different effects.

It's not impossible that those with autism have a higher chance of having such polymorphism but I am not aware of evidence to suggest this besides very limited anecdotal.

Tolerance is a much different topic but yes, when you take a psychedelic you tend to get a very fast and strong tolerance effect which makes you less sensitive to them for a while and that can mean even to other types of psychedelics than you took. Chronic tolerance can also mean that despite waiting in between trips, the tolerance can become exceedingly high over time and repeated tripping.

• Like 7

Tolerance might be a factor check out the U.S prison l.s.d experiment were prisoner were kept tripping for up to 6mths which i though impossible because next day what had you tripping balls barely did anything but the researcher just double or tripled doses daily. Strangely after tripping without there consent for 6mths straight they were unwilling to readily discuss there experiences. Weird :o   Not aware of many drugs that don't develop tolerance over time only one i can think of is Buprenorphine which apparently does cause Tolerance overtime from memory.

Edited by Chemiconaut