The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zonad

ID please

Question

Totally new to cactus... found in Brisbane area and brought home as a baby. Wondering also if I should cut the top “knob” (pardon the uneducated term, I will start learning), let it dry? And then re-plant. Hoping to learn a lot from the forum and build a beautiful cactus garden as I see in others posts. Figured making a post is my first step. Thanks

6DA66AD5-BF31-429A-BDC2-632EFEF0386D.jpeg

6DA66AD5-BF31-429A-BDC2-632EFEF0386D.thumb.jpeg.b0d9b0504a9840a5b2310190fa673d4a.jpeg

6DA66AD5-BF31-429A-BDC2-632EFEF0386D.thumb.jpeg.b0d9b0504a9840a5b2310190fa673d4a.jpeg

4 answers to this question

That my friend is a type of Opuntia, I couldn't tell you which one exactly though.

You may know it as prickly pear.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Opuntia, but really hard differentiating them from just a small piece like this. They can look very similar at this size. Lovely plants though. 

• Like 1

Watch out for the tiny spines (called glochids) on the younger areoles.  They look kind of harmless but can be really irritating in every way.  Personally, these are not my favourite cacti...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about the glochids.

See them growing all around estuary's and cow paddocks near creeks and rivers, no doubt because it floods every now and then.

Nice flowers and fruit if that way inclined. Someone here grafts with them.

• Like 1