The Corroboree
greenestmachinest

23 year old male. Chronic pain all over body due to spinal disease, has anyone ever tried Kratom before?

Hey guys im 23 years old and am currently suffering from a spinal disease that has caused me a lot of chronic pain. I currently take oxy codone 30mg a day, and am sick of it. I have been looking at options and have stumbled upon Kratom, and was wondering if anyone in Australia has any information on it. Has anyone possibly tried it?

I don't have any answers for you but could you elaborate on whether the pain is muscular, skeletal or nerve? I imagine the appropriate responses may vary for each.

I have muscle pain, skeletal pain and nerve pain unfortunately. I have scheuermann's disease, a spinal disease that deforms and degenerates the spine and vertebrae. Damaging nearby nerves and muscles due to bone spur formations.

Mate so sorry to read about your situation and hopefully wiser heads than mine will chime in with some helpful info.

For what its worth imo its about how to maintain quality of life over the lifespan with a degenerative condition.  I hope you can grow as a person with this challenge, uncover truths, as well and find 'tools' of many forms to help. 

Not sure of what the experience is but nerve pain (i imagine) would seem the one to target.  Of course opioids like oxycodone act on synapses / neurotransmitters, Kratom also binds to  pain receptors so might be a viable alternative imo.  I understand it is addicitive, maybe you need to get polysubstance on this so you can manage things long term.

Just in case your not aware, most pain management utilizes paracetamol in conjunction with opioids.

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 1

@Humboldt thanks mate I really appreciate the support! Okay awesome sounds like it could definitely be a promisable option. Thanks!

• Like 1

Done a bit of reading about Kratom, it does have an addiction potential and some relatively mild withdrawals compared to some opioids. Illegal in Australia at the moment unfortunately but still possible to get I imagine. 

Labourers in thailand chew it all day to help them with muscle pains 

• Like 2

I've heard plants need to be mature for their leaves to produce the psychoactive compounds in sufficient quantity. 5+ years was the amount of time from seed to harvest that was suggested to me. Perhaps you could reduce this time with a mature cutting? I'm not sure though - maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that. 

Either way, if you were intending to substitute M. speciosa for your current medication, you would likely need a substantial amount of plant material. My guess is most M. speciosa consumed in Australia is cultivated internationally and imported from places nearby where it is more common, like Indonesia. 

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 1

Back in the day i smoked a fair bit of kratom cause my polypolydrug use no real reason. i loved to try new things. This must of been 2003-4 they sold it at the legal high shop in Newtown.  To its painkilling effect hard to say as i was always on so much meth 24/7 to escape my chronic depression and chronic fatigue syndrome plus it was fun, meth will definitely make bad pain a memory also so good if one somehow becomes opiate dependent to remove 95% of the worst withdrawals . Kratom reminds me of cannabis without the euphoria just the stoned feeling also good for opiate withdrawal. For pain it couldn't hurt to try it is used for opiate withdrawal so I'd guess it bonds to some/all mu,delta kappa opiate receptors depend which ones and to what affinity.  Pain management Opiates are the best while your tolerance is reasonable. 5-10mg of oxycodone would fix it for 4-6hrs until it don't then one day your taking hundreds of mg 4 times a day like candy. Pain management clinics also proscribe Ketamine in small doses for pain management usually with opiates it depends on the pain. Lyrica is used for nuropathic pain i believe. As well as Bupernorphine (not tolerance forming) and methadone(physeptone in tablet form) are used for certain pain types maybe something mild like tramadol will help. Then the is cannabis decent painkiller.  I'm guessing you'll require a number of things as different pain requires different methods of attack. See your GP ask his advice  if he is unwilling to proscribe what you need ask for a pain clinic referral. Hope you find what works for you. If it is opiates use the least possible and only when your the pain isn't manageable.                                                          

Trust me opiates will steal your emotions, numb you and dull your cognitive function when taken in large amount for long periods.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised to hear that smoking kratom is effective.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A Couple of bongs did get me pretty stoned, but Meth at the time made cannabis more effective so i'd be surprised if kratom's weren't somewhat more effect  plus i'd never used kratom prior or for long enough to develop a decent tolerance. Only a guess after seeing how much is used for opiate withdrawal maybe what a 'recreational' dose was at the time is  much smaller the the dose required to competitively bond on the opiate receptors relief of symptoms

• Thanks 1

I'd suggest your biggest problem with Kratom will be reliable supply.

Try a Ketamine infusion it really helped me with chronic pain.

• Like 1