The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Kratom for cronic back pain?

I injured my back a few years back and am looking for an alternative to prescription meds, The bad pain isn't constant(usually just an ache) but when it flares up or i aggravate it the only thing i've found to work without taking more than the recommended amounts is Tramadol and the like. I live in a pretty rural area and the major announce is not being able to just zip down to the doc and get a script(is about a 40 min drive and often cant get appointment for days) and was thinking about if there was "hypothetically" something that I could grow myself that i can always have on hand.

I have heard that Kratom can be somewhat effective and wondering if anyone has had any experience in regards to it and back/disk pain? I wouldn't expect it to kill the pain like stronger prescription meds do but just wondering if it has a noticeable or near comparable effect.

Kratom is amazing. I love it, but it is definitely habit forming too. I actually prefer it to opiates. 

Growing it is possible if you have a winter that doesn't get too cold but it takes quite a few years before it produces the goods. And you'd need a fair few trees to amount to anything.

It really sucks it's not legal in Australia.

• Like 1

I have found it fairly indistinguishable from reasonably strong opiates in terms of pain relief, and it has some mood elevating properties too.

• Like 1

But apparently nanny knows best...

Yea have realized after looking into grow time that it would take a while before you can get a sustainable amount to use as needed but i think "again hypothetically" that it would be better to prepare now as it's been long enough that i know this injury and the pain isn't just going to go away on it's own.

I also think with any form of pain relief substance there is also a double whammy potential for habit forming, even if the substance on its own has no addiction properties the sheer fact that it relieves pain can itself cause a habit to form. As in even if fairy floss was to limit or remove a chronic pain you would still have to be careful with a habit forming  around it, so both them factors really need to be recognized especially if you don't have a hard limit of prescriptions given applied.

• Like 1

Ok, there are quite a lot of low-mid level herbal painkillers that are quite legal and fairly easily available.

Ru Xiang and Mo Yao (frankincense and myrrh) are great, especially for injury type pains.  Can be dissolved in alcohol (both are plant resins) and applied.  You can also drink them, but the taste is very harshly bitter, and they irritate the stomach.  I very rarely prescribe them for patients for internal use for that reason.  Wholesale, I pay less than $40 for a kilo, which would last a darn long time indeed.  The mix of the two is better than twice the dose of one.  

Yu Jin, and Yan hu suo are better if you want to actually have something to drink that will strengthen, be reasonably palatable (ish).  Quite cheap, and effective for various skeleto-muscular pains, and a few others as well.  These take ordering, but you can get them nice and easily off the net or at a herbal supplier in a major city.

Strengthening the back so you don't actually get the pain is the preferred route though, my preferred strategy is to 'treat root and branch simultaneously', stopping pain and fixing the issue causing it.  Du Zhong ( Cortex Eucommiae, note that I'm speaking 'herbalist' and not 'botanist' here) and Tu Su Zi ( Semen Cuscutae, 'Chinese Dodder seeds'), in combination can work well here.

If the disk needs healing (in TCM terms, the yin is also deficient), then add Shu Di Huang (Radix Rehmanniae Preparata).  This is easily obtainable in a larger Chinese grocery.

Du Zhong and Shu Di Huang can be had from many Chinese groceries, Tu Su Zi is a little harder to get.

There's a vast array of herbs that might actually treat a 'bad back', but a lot of them are a bit dependent on what has gone wrong (and your constitution in general), to reccomend here.  These are all pretty safe and easy.  Daily dose of the above herbs would normally be in the 6-15 gram range. 

Hard herbs like these are best boiled in a pot with a lid for half an hour.

https://chineseherbswholesaler.com.au/en/products

The cheapest if you're going to actually be in Melbourne, they finally got a little showroom.

http://www.chineseherbsonline.com.au/

Another Chinese herb supplier, with a showroom, but the internet order actually works for most things.

https://www.australherbs.com.au/

Austral herbs, order by net.  They have a minimum $50 order, and stock is western herb oriented.

For best results, see a T.C.M. professional and get a diagnosis and a script, which you can fill yourself if it contains common stuff.

All herbs mentioned are fully legal and available in Australia.... Sometimes I think this forum needs a good guide to herbal painkillers, anxiety and depression treatments and the like.

• Like 5

On 15/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, Goldfishbrain said:

Sometimes I think this forum needs a good guide to herbal painkillers, anxiety and depression treatments and the like.

Mate that sounds like an offer:lol:.

• Like 1

My friend I have a spinal disease that is debilitating. I would also love to try Kratom, if you are looking for more information on it i suggest you watch A leaf of faith on netflix. If you end up trying it PM me please, n vice versa! B)

Of course growing one's own would be ideal ... but, instead of that, many people successfully purchase powdered kratom online (where it is often labelled as a different product, so you can't get in trouble, i suppose).  The downside there is that there isn't a guarantee of what you are getting, is actually kratom, as per this fine article:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/Website/MitragynaspeciosaFake.htm

I don't know if that same situation still stands ... 

This was valid in 2003. Things have changed.

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.

Yes considering how back pain tends to progress as we age I would think planting a bunch of trees would be a great idea, if it was legal. A responsible person should always try to grow their own foods and medicines. Even better would be to spread food and medicine plant seeds throughout government cultivated gardens. Imagine a country where people could walk down to the local park and pick fruit to feed their hunger, or medicine to treat their pain. A place for the community to meet, eat, swap recipes and produce.

i want to add here that, the rifat clone produces viable seeds, on it's own, but it helps if the tree is happy with it's enviroment.

i can't rule out that, seedling trees, produced by a rifat sole parent, produced a kratom tree with red veined leaves?!!

is the rifat clone the main one here? what is it like in regards to the "red" or "white"  or "green" etc. is there really differences or is it more of a seasonal thing or age of leaves or advertising/marketing thing?

Rifat is the one that was cloned and spread around a while back. There are a lot of others coming out and about now but they seem to be much less cold hardy. 

It might be due to growing conditions and cooler climate, but Rifat seems to need at least double the amount of leaf compared to powder sourced from SE Asia. Maybe grown in the tropics it might be comparable?