The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
greenechidna

Does street lighting affect flowering.

Planning my cactus garden, have 2 places I was planning on planting that are affected by street light or house lights, would it have any effect on flowering at all, or does it help creating mutants I know there a few plants that cant handle it, and could not find anything searching for it.

Hey mate, I don´t think that street lights have a significant negative effect on cacti. Cacti are very different to plants like pot and don´t need a special day/night rhythm. You could basically grow them at light 24/7, so I doubt it will affect them negatively. 

• Like 3

I agree with EG

Alot of my flowering Trichos frequently have lights on above them at all sorts of odd hours. 

It would suck of trichos needed to stay dark at night, cos thats my fav time to look at them. 

Also im pretty sure flowering is triggers by cold dormant cycles rather then light. 

I think this because people living on the coast seem to have a harder time to get there plants to flower compared to those living inland where it gets much colder. 

• Like 3

I asked a similar question about moonlight effecting plant growth (last year?) 

I wonder if street lights would affect mushroom fruiting too...

• Like 1

Fungi use light as a trigger for pins, by signaling to the mycelium that its broken through the surface of the medium and is ready to fruit.

The street light hypothesis seems to be more to do with, breaking the dark cycles, tricking the plant into thinking the seasons are changing, which isnt so revevant to cactus or fungi.With fungi, as far as im aware, they arent monitoring day length to trigger different stages of reproduction. Instead they are just digesting, building up metabolic strengh in a tempurare dependent fashion, so when the time is right they can fruit, light triggersthis but does not feed the process,For example more light wont make more pins neither will changing light cycles,  a few minutes light to trigger to process is all they need, and it doesnt matter what time this occurs. 

• Like 2