The Corroboree
Strontium Dawg

Any Bible scholars around?

I wasn't really looking for psychedelic roots of Judaism or Christianity in this thread to be honest. I've read a lot about that and yeah it makes sense, but that's not what I'm trying to figure out here. 

I guess I'm trying to understand the logic behind some of these stories and the whole thing maybe. I mean we are told as christians to strive to be like God, yet the entire old testament is just page after page of examples of God behaving like a murderous psychopath. 

Why did God need to create the world anyway? Was he bored? Needed some light entertainment? Or just to feel Superior to someone? 

How do the angels or seraphim fit into the picture? 

There is God, unloved, and not integrated, but that is still God.

Also, I am still trying to finish reading it so I should have no opinion actually :)

• Like 1

Relevant lol:

On 29/09/2019 at 5:55 AM, toby said:

Fear, guilt, shame are products manufactured by a lack of love. I don't know that this is necessarily a Bible problem.

Words and understanding may not be the best tools for working on wounded spirit or feelings. 

The Bible says that God is love, though so maybe he's on the right track.

On 26/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, Cimi said:

The Bible says that God is love, though so maybe he's on the right track.

That's great. Thanks for your opinion about the track I'm on

Fellow Catholic Indoctrination survivor. I'm from a very religious eastern European family one off the Hardcore eastern bloc countries sure it isn't a huge secret. My grandma's dream was i become a Priest. But pederasty and molesting kids aren't any of my interests. :wacko:

all jokes aside we prayed decates of the rosary daily knelt in front of the 'virgin' mary and as religious nut s we also did the bonus prayer like Sait Michael the archangel and the blessed virgin. Church every Sunday as well as all the bonus days like ash wed, all saints etc

i'm no scholar i have read the bible 6 or 7times have many  smart friends who love to discuss religion aswell as being rather curious about the nature of divinity, creation vs evolution, church history, the role of religion in pacify or manipulating the masses.

I'm now more convinced that we are the creation of advance aliens then made by some invisible spirit in 7days.

What the fuck am i smoking you probably ask.

OK lets start with the major old testament stories which all have analogs in Sumerian civilization from for our creation from the clay aswell as adam n eve the serpent to Noah's and the ark,Sodom and Gomorrah,  Sumerian believed they were created by living gods (yes plural) these same gods are the gods of the Babylonian, the Assiryian, the Greek, the Roman and i believe the Egyptian. Even the vikings probably the Aztec and others. Every lightning god, water god, serpent god etc come from these Sumerian as best we can tell. Sumerian believe there living gods that walked as you or i among them, made them as slave labour to replace rebelling what we will call lower eschalon Annunaki who grew tired of manual labor on this distant colony outpost. When the gods arrived there were three the father and two son. Enki and Enlil they first settled the Tigris river delta in search of gold. while the father in the heaven remained up above. they were hear long before us. Enki was given the southern hemisphere sometimes mistranslated later to be the underworld of Hades etc and domain over the water, form this point he's also know as Ea. Enlil is give domain over the northern hemisphere and the air and lightning.

These gods seem just like us with all our moral and ethic eccentricities, they loved and fought were kind and cruel, married there half sister, killed and raped. Just they are always depicted as giant's next to man.(the angels from the bibles and the rebellion after we are created then beacame more then intead same as the giants that bred with humans).

After the worker almost rebelled they begged Enlil for some tool to be made to grant them respite. So Enki and A Female god are tasked with doing this, first the tried to create a worker in the mold of the Minotaur or the sphinx but while strong they were not smart enough to work unaided. So eventually they start on us, taking a earth primate and melding there dna into it, we were created in there image out of mud.  After more failure Sumerian adam adapu is made as well a sumerian eve. Smart enough to slave not smart enough to truely concieve of self and reason.   Then one day Enki also known as the serpent god because they were a sign of knowledge and wisdom. Told eve to eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge, this gave us true understanding of being like our gods, Enki did this against the other  gods which a reoccurring them that our "creator" loved his work more then just as slave labour tools to mine.

Also Sumerian same all there knowledge was gift by these goods from writing cuneiform on clay to making beer, astronomy metallurgy, maths ,astrology,bicameral congress even there 12based number system(maybe it is 60 i forget)  Even the famous Hammurabi's Code of Laws was a gift to Hammurabi.

Eventual the ruling gods of which there were always 12, with 12 lesser gods same as most if not all the subsequent religions had as well never 11 or 13 when one was lost another took this place. This reoccurring sacred number of 12 or multiples of 12 is very present from there belief the gods are from a 12th planet in the system, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 months in the year. 12tribes of isreal, human's being limited to a life span of 120yrs,  there are more but this of the top of my head

This must seems pretty outlandish so remember this is all been interpreted by stone age/bronze age man so they record this advance tech to the best of there ability. These living gods are depicted with wings that strap on to them or with dolphins like pilots and admirals are to this day. They can go at will to the heaven up to god in heaven enki and enlil father, they can travel great distance. Same people who turned Sodom and Gemorrah to salt. had weapons of great destructive power, could summon the element the commanded. they fought jealously among themselves as for the little bags they are often depicted with as a source of knowledge.  Much more happens like the tower of babel etc but eventually the other gods realize an impending flooding catastrophe is imminent and decided to leave us for the heavens to be wiped. Enlil asked enki were his loyalty lies and is made to promise not to warn his creations of the disaster. Enki keeps his promise but does tell zasudra summerian noah  to build a boat when asked why Enki spoke no more. The flood comes wipes the earth clean of us besides noah who drift for 6days until sending abird and landing on mt arrarat. Enlil is enraged  but Enki placates him and noah is sent to the heaven where the father lives and is create eternal life.

Much of this comes from The book the 12th planet by Zechariah sitchin and some of his interpretation are debated. Even if the debated portion are excluded there is too much smoke one assume there could be a fire. But they are from clay tablet and stone steele from the Babylonian and Sumerians. It's probably not a coincidence that Abraham the father of 3 religions lived in Babylon.   Scientist today still are looking for this planet x that Neptune and Pluto's orbit suggest is out there. the Sumerians believed every 3600yrs or a shar. The home of the gods is near earth it is the seed of life on our plant the cause of asteroid belt the collision with what they call tiamat spawn the earth and moon. Putting us on a delayed evolutionary path then the gods.

The gods never return one day, then we went from worker to worshiper of there 'Godhood' more so as time goes on and the story is added to and changed.  We diefy these Technological people.  Eventually Christian had the whole trinity which i think represent The Father and two sons. My god up in heaven literally up in heaven.

More thing are changed to suit the people of the time, eve is vilified for excepting Enki's apple of knowledge.

Like out the traditional genesis story  all the way to a virgin women is impregnated an angel. Births the king of kings to be forsaken and crucified to forgive us of our sins.

or

Advance beings genetically engineered us as workers, then got a bit attached to there creation gave us true consciousness and reason and saved us when were no longer useful to the rest.

Both are outlandish except one is actual something that is possible for us to do in 50-100 yrs with further advanced technology. The quote "Sufficiently Advance technology is indistinguishable from Magic" springs to mind.

Sorry for the rambling post i don't touch on many things from the Sumerian Creation Story or The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Stories are a map of those who went before. Experience is the planting of lamp posts along a path. People mistake the map for the purpose. A map is the lay of the land, not a vector. 

Where do we want to go?

That is the question most commonly asked. But maybe we should just be asking how to get there, seeing as the ending is inevitable, right? 

Sorry if this is cryptic, just laying down thoughts as they occur in a seemingly important moment.

• Like 1

Detours

Only by taking detours can we exist. If everyone took the shortest route only one person would arrive.

There are an infinite number of detours from point of departure to destination, but only one shortest way. Culture consists in detours - finding and cultivating them, describing and recommending them, revaluing and bestowing them. Culture therefore seems inadequately rational, because strictly speaking only the shortest route receives reason's seal of approval. Everything right and left along the way is superfluous and can justify its existence only with difficulty. It is, however, the detours that give culture the function of humanizing life. In the strictness of its exclusions, the supposed "art of life" that takes the shortest routes is barbarism.

The full use of the world is only a side benefit of the culture of detours. Indeed, it does not suffice that an act of creation could have produced the world; only then would it contain more than is necessary for merely maintaining being. If the world displays the superfluous, then the world's meaning corresponds to taking the paths of the superfluous: detouring all the way through it.

If detours are taken, not everyone experiences everything. But in exchange, everyone doesn't experience the same thing, as would be the case when taking the shortest route. The other way around: if letting everyone take detours succeeds, everything has the prospect of being experienced. The world gains meaning through the detour of culture in it. Or, expressed somewhat more reverently, the world receives confirmation of its meaning in the same way that the many receive confirmation that they are not just a few or, worse still, only one.

It is detours that lend intersubjectivity its significance beyond the constitution of theoretical objectivity. In principle, everyone has something in pectore [in the breast] for everyone else, which only he can give away and which allows him to lay claim to what the other person, for his part, has taken ad notam [notice of] along the way. For what other reason, beyond all theoretical objectifications, are only the unique aspects of individuals worth knowing for us? In addition to memoirs and biographies, even the invented lives in epic literature are, from a topographical perspective, utilizations of factually unutilized or as such undescribed detours.

In this system for mitigating barbarism called culture, there are naturally also disadvantages. They consist in every path as a detour being the result of an "opinion" or of an affinity to such an opinion. The irreconcilability of the pluralism of worldviews is a risk, but a sufficiently reasonable one.

Hans Blumeneberg, Care crosses the river, "Detours"

• Like 1

The cartographer is the instrument of power as the author of that order, reducing reality to only two conditions: the map and oblivion. The cartographer’s truth crystallizes the message that Google and all surveillance capitalists must impress upon all humans: if you are not on our map, you do not exist.

From The Age of Surveillance Capitalism,

Seemed somewhat related to this thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my ignorance I have taken the Adam and Eve story in a different way.  From man being a part of the natural world, a creature which co-evolved with nature.  There the original sin was to separate from the this co-evolved, balanced state to seek dominion over the natural world.  Indeed man wanted to kick himself out of the garden.  These days mankind, culturally, doesn't even see itself as an animal species and many deliberately exclude the natural world from daily life.  Divorcing from mother earth perhaps spurred on by a fear of death, to control and destroy all in the natural world that was percieved as a threat. 

Fast forward to today where the joints fucked because people are in a state of disconnect, instead seeing themselves as separate to the natural world, as individuals.

Seems to me some plants are keen to repair this displacement of man and the mother.

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 2

I think that's the general idea.

The struggle through separation, then choosing unity

The Serpent: Enemy of Man, Or Enlightener Of Man?

tumblr_inline_n6i7szp4521sg2o43.jpg?resi

What proper way to start off a blog dealing in Gnosticism than in the beginning…the beginning according to biblical tradition that is. Let’s discuss a major figure within the first few chapters of Genesis, the Serpent.

According to the traditional Christian thought, Adam and Eve were created by a god named Yahweh (often translated as LORD, Adonai, or Jehovah) who placed them in a garden and told them that they could eat from every tree and plant in the garden, except the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil. There then appeared the Serpent in the garden, who supposedly tempts Eve into eating from the Tree of Knowledge. Eve then goes to Adam and gives him the fruit to eat as well. Yahweh finds out what had taken place and banishes Adam and Eve from the garden while also cursing the Serpent and establishing the Serpent as an enemy. Because of this, the Serpent is always called Satan or Lucifer. However, the biblical text itself never refers to the Serpent as either title.

The identification of the Serpent as Satan or Lucifer comes from Christian theology that says that Satan was once an angel named Lucifer who rebelled against the god Yahweh and was thrown out of heaven and became Satan. That theology usually begins with the verse Isaiah 14:12-14:

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.”

Which is then reinforced by a verse from the New Testament Luke 10:18:

“And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.”

And finally by this verse, tying Lucifer, Satan and the Serpent together, Revelation 12:9:

“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”

While it may seem justifiable to uphold the Christian theology when picking out and isolating these verses alone, when you go and study these verses in their original context you will see that the theology is flawed. The very first thing that must be understood is these verses all come from three separate books within the Bible, one which comes from the Old Testament section and the other two coming from the New Testament. That means they were all written at different times in history by different authors who never met each other and historically would have had different world views. For example, the Isaiah verse is found within the Old Testament which is a Jewish text. If you were to look into the Jewish theology on what that verse means, you would see that from their tradition the verse was not referring to Satan or a fallen angel, but rather was referring to a man, an unnamed king of Babylon. This becomes apparent when you continue reading the verses that follow:

“Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?” – Isaiah 14:15-17

Jewish tradition has a concept of Satan, but it is not seen as the chief force of evil or the enemy of god. The original Hebrew term, “satan”, is a noun from a verb meaning to, “obstruct, oppose,” as it is found in Numbers 22:22, 1 Samuel 29:4, and Psalms 109:6. Ha-Satan is most often translated as “the accuser,” or “the adversary.” The definite article “ha” (which is the English “the”), is used to show that this is a title bestowed on a being, versus the name of a being. Thus this being would be referred to as “the satan.” This concept goes back to Ancient Kemet (Egypt) to the divinity Set. Set was the divinity of opposition. While Set would be an opposer to Heru (Horus), in the Ancient Egyptian’s understanding he was not originally an evil deity. Set simply symbolized all opposing forces, which were necessary forces in the universe. Therefore as said previously, Satan is not a proper name but a title. It is a name given to one opposing you. When your enemies come to oppress you, they are opposing you; therefore they are satan to you. You are opposing them by defending yourself; in their eyes you are the satan. You can say our fraud governments are “Set”anic due to them being adversaries to the masses by their abuse of power.

So why was the Serpent called Satan by Christians? Because the Serpent made Adam and Eve disobey and oppose the god Yahweh. Did this actually make the Serpent evil and an enemy to man though? Let’s examine what exactly had taken place in the garden myth.

The god Yahweh decides to create Adam and places him in the garden of Eden:

“And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” – Genesis 2:15-17

Here you can see Yahweh commanded Adam not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge and that if he did he would surely die “in the day that thou eatest thereof”.  However a little while later, the Serpent appears to Eve:

“Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. – Genesis 3:1-5

Here you can see the Serpent had asked Eve a question about not being able to eat from every tree, and when Eve responded that Yahweh had said she would die from eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, the Serpent informed her that wasn’t true, and that her eyes would be opened and she would be like Yahweh, knowing good and evil….and that’s exactly what happened! Genesis 3:22 says:

“And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

This verse confirms a few things. First, it confirms that Yahweh was a liar while the Serpent told the truth. Yahweh told Adam that the day they eat the fruit from the tree of Knowledge, they would die. However, the Bible tradition shows that Adam went on to live another 800 years after the birth of his son Seth (Genesis 5), an event that occurs long after what happened in the garden already. The real reason for Adam’s eventual death is revealed at the end of Genesis 3:22 He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” Adam was from the beginning a finite being, as opposed to Christian theology that says Adam was created perfect and immortal, which has no biblical support whatsoever. If Adam and Eve had been able to eat from the Tree of Life, they would have then both been immortal, but since they were prevented from doing so they both eventually died.

This verse also confirms the natures of these two characters, the Serpent and Yahweh. Yahweh lied to Adam and Eve and concealed the truth of the nature of the tree of KNOWLEDGE, where the Serpent told them the truth. Also, the Serpent didn’t force Adam and Eve to eat from the tree, nor did it tempt them. It simply told them the true nature of the fruit and let them decide what to do. The Serpent gave Adam and Eve a CHOICE. Yahweh however used FEAR and DECEPTION to prevent Adam and Eve from eating from the tree and to submit to him blindly. He didn’t give them a choice, he wanted blind submission. When they didn’t blindly submit to him, he cursed them and prevented them from life.

Now applying this myth to real life, Yahweh prevented Adam and Eve from KNOWLEDGE and kept them blind and ignorant. Who does this today? Does not “big brother” keep the masses blind and ignorant while holding knowledge from them? And when certain people become informed about the true nature of things and don’t submit to big brother, does big brother not then try to keep that person away from life and liberty? Does not big brother use fear and lies to control the masses?

The Serpent rebelled and gave the KNOWLEDGE to Adam and Eve. This is really the only thing the Serpent is guilty of. This is like someone today who rebels against this world system and informs the masses of the true nature and intent of their corrupt government. Of course to “big brother”, someone doing such a thing is an enemy. That is why the Serpent is called Set-an. The Serpent is not called “Satan” because it is evil or did anything wrong, but rather because it is an enemy to Yahweh, in the sense that a truth speaker is an enemy or a “terrorist” to today’s corrupt governments or “big brother”.

Christians over time started to call the Serpent “Lucifer”, based on their theology revolving around the Isaiah verse I gave earlier. Though their intent for giving the Serpent the title “Lucifer” was not a benevolent one, it was still a proper one from the Gnostic point of view. Lucifer means “light bearer”, light in an esoteric sense being equated with knowledge or “gnosis”. The Serpent is the one responsible for giving the “gnosis” or knowledge of themselves to Adam and Eve. Therefore, it was their “light bearer” or Lucifer. This is why in many cultures the Serpent is not a symbol of anything evil at all, but rather a symbol of knowledge and wisdom.

tumblr_inline_n6i814Kmiw1sg2o43.jpg?resi

The Gnostics identify the Serpent as an aspect or agent of Sophia, which means wisdom and is also feminine because the subject deals with the suppression of the Divine Feminine principle as well (something I will go into in a future post). Sophia was a revealer of gnosis who came from the true “god”, the Monad who is ultimately above simply being referred to as a “god” or “goddess” in the anthropomorphic way most are used to.

So in conclusion one must ask themselves, who is the true enemy of man? The god Yahweh, who, like our governments today, used fear and deception to make his subjects submit to his will blindly, or the Serpent who told man the truth and gave him the freedom and choice to be more than what they were being told they could be? To the Gnostic, the Serpent is mankind’s liberator and enlightener who gave Adam and Eve self-knowledge and realization. The real enemy of man is the one who would try to keep man ignorant and submissive. Who is the individual within the myth that does that? Yahweh, whom the Gnostic’s refer to as Yaldabaoth which means “son of chaos”, a fitting name for one who causes so much devastation, death and confusion within the biblical text. I will go into detail about the Gnostic’s view of Yahweh in a future post.

Peace, Love & Balance

• Like 1

I understand the point.

But in the garden when they were of God, unified, they were the world they inhabited and knew God.

The knowledge they receive, which casts them as isolated entities, separate from God and nature isn't really that great a liberation.

They already had the choice to eat the fruit, the serpent wasn't really presenting any great gift.

I guess rebellion is honorable enough to be it's own reward

• Like 1

We're they with "God" or an imposter?

What If The Devil Convinced The World That He Was God?

tumblr_inline_ngy7c7fqmw1sg2o43.png?resi

They say that the devil is the greatest of liars and deceivers. Christ refers to the devil as “the father of lies” (John 8:44 NIV). Therefore it would be probable that the devil is able to deceive even the brightest of minds if allowed. With that being said, what if he “which deceiveth the whole world” was able to convince the world that he was God? Specifically, what if the being that followers of the Bible pray to, Yahweh (often called Jehovah, Adonai, or LORD as well), is in fact the devil? I know, that may seem blasphemous and contradicting to someone who has never had that thought before, but allow me to explain.

As I explained in a previous post, the original Hebrew term “Ha-Satan” is a title that is given to the devil and it’s meaning is “the adversary”. The issue here is that we are told to believe that the Serpent in the garden was the devil and that Yahweh was the benevolent god. However, let’s once again examine what exactly happened within the narrative of the garden myth. Yahweh was the first liar within the Bible, making him “the father of lies”; he told Adam he would die the day he ate from the Tree of Knowledge (Genesis 2:15-17) but this did not happen. Instead, Adam’s eyes were opened and his divinity was realized, Yahweh even admitting to this (Genesis 3:22), making the Serpent’s words true (Genesis 3:1-5). As you can see, Yahweh was the deceiver, not the Serpent.

Let’s move past the garden myth to the Tower of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9). Here you have what almost everyone in the 21st Century ultimately wants, everyone understanding each other and working together in unity towards a common goal for mankind. The narrative says that everyone was speaking the same language and that they had decided to build a tower unto the heavens to make a name for themselves. When they began to build the tower, Yahweh came down and observed that the People were of one accord, and that with this unity they would be able to achieve whatever it is they wanted. Apparently this was a threat to Yahweh, for of course the authority is always threatened when the People are in unity. 1st Corinthians 14:33 claims that “God is not the author of confusion”, however Genesis 11:7 has Yahweh saying:

“Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

This confusion caused by Yahweh resulted in the people being divided up and scattered, never completing the tower. One must ask themselves…..why would a benevolent god not want the people to be united in a cause? And why would an all powerful, all knowing god be threatened by such? Maybe this “god” is not as powerful and all knowing as he claims to be, and that would explain why he is threatened by the unity of the People. Authority always needs to portray the image of being powerful by keeping the People divided and ruled by fear in order to maintain control.

Yahweh is far from benevolent. Not only does he claim to be a jealous god, but claims that his very name is Jealous (Exodus 34:14). Thus Yahweh hates those who do not obey and serve him, and declares death upon those who will not submit. The narratives within the Old Testament show an overwhelming amount of murders done either directly by Yahweh himself or his servants under his command, from the killing of the first born children in Egypt (Exodus 12:29-30) to the literal genocide of the Amalekites done by Saul and his army under Yahweh’s orders (1st Samuel 15). They claim that the evils and atrocities that happen in the world today are the work of the devil and that may be true, but again who exactly is the devil? Throughout history and even unto the present day countless lives have been taken in the name of “god” Yahweh.

Christ was very critical of the Pharisees who were the religious leaders and claimed servants of Yahweh during his time. Christ whose mission it was to awaken the people to the Kingdom of God within and free them from the religious laws imposed on them by Yahweh and his religious authorities, made it known in John 8:41-44 that the Father God he referred to was not the same god that the Pharisees served, and in fact called their god, Yahweh, the devil.

“Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”

Before the canonization of the Bible and the texts outside the canon being declared heresy and burned by the established Catholic Church, the Early Christians and Gnostic sects had a text in wide circulation called The Apocryphon of John which was considered by many to be the “part 2” to the Gospel of John. Within it, Christ appears to his disciple John again and begins to explain to him much about Gnostic cosmology. Christ tells John about the Monad, the “true God”, which he describes as being pure light, sovereign and Father over all, but is not to be looked at as being a deity for It is above and greater than a deity. He then starts to describe the chain in which each of the Aeons (emanations or aspects of the Monad) came into being down to the Aeon Sophia, a feminine aspect of God representing divine wisdom. The myth goes on to say that Sophia desired to conceive and give birth without the consent or involvement of her male counterpart. The child that Sophia gave birth to is Yahweh, who is known to the Gnostics as Yaldabaoth which means “son of chaos”. Yaldabaoth is described as having a body of a serpent and the head of a lion with flashing bolts of lightning in it’s eyes, and is said to be corrupt and imperfect due to both divine aspects (male and female) not being involved in his conception. When she had seen what she had produced, his mother Sophia wrapped him in a bright cloud with a throne in the middle so that he would not be seen by any of the Aeons. Thinking that there was no one else in existence besides himself and his mother, Yaldabaoth then took power from his mother Sophia and started to create other beings and rulers (known to the Gnostics as the Archons) and exalted himself above them claiming that he was a jealous god and there are no gods besides him, for he was ignorant of his origin and the other Aeons above him that emanated from the Monad. However by claiming this, he suggested to the host around him that there is another god, for if there were no other god, of whom would he be jealous?

The text continues by retelling the story of the creation of the material universe by Yaldabaoth and the creation of Adam from the Gnostic perspective. Due to the corruption and imperfection of Yaldabaoth/Yahweh, the material universe itself is corrupt and imperfect in the minds of the Gnostics. This cosmology formed the basis of Gnostic thought, and explains why the Gnostics reject the material world (or rather the concept of materialism) and embrace the spiritual world within, for while Yahweh may have formed the physical body of Adam, the animate Spirit that was breathed into Adam came from the true “God” the Monad, the source of all life and things. This Divinity lies within each and every person and can come to be realized.

In closing I would like to share a passage from another Gnostic text known as the Gospel of Philip. This gospel, like the Apocryphon of John, was not included in the Catholic Church’s biblical canon, however it was circulated and read by the early Christians and Gnostics.

“The rulers wanted to fool us, since they saw we were connected with the good. They took the names of the good and gave them to the not good so with names they could trick and rope us to the not good. As though doing us a favor, they took names from the not good and placed them on the good. They knew what they were doing. They wanted to grab those of us who were free and make us eternal slaves.”

Could it be that Yahweh is in fact the devil or Satan, and that through his servants (the religious authority figures) he leads the world to believe he is the true god by confusing the words and titles? Let me remind you, as I always must, that to the Gnostic these are all concepts, metaphors, parables, and myths explaining higher truths. It should not be taken and viewed in a literal sense. Understand that Yahweh is a concept of god created by man with a purpose and an agenda. In an upcoming entry I shall go in depth explaining the origin of this concept of god, it’s purpose and agenda along with showing how it relates to ourselves and the Universe.

The Apocryphon of John is available to be read online here.

Peace, Love, & Balance