The Corroboree
Caster

Australia is headed down a dark path

14 minutes ago, johnw7000 said:

intent is where our power lies and if our base desire is as a child's in the wonder of those glorious moments when excitement to explore reigns supreme we are unstoppable and fucking brilliant.

Mate I love your optimism. Bill did have a lot of the solutions. I think there is still a couple of big problems. One is greed and the power that can come from that. Perhaps some sort of cap on wealth, so that individuals or company's can never become more powerful than, nations of people. Then there is the nations them selves. Both nations and for that matter, politicians, are really obsolete in a digital world. Every one could simply vote on every major issue, via an app on their phone. No politicians, no lobbyists, no middlemen at all. True, direct democracy.

If people stopped voting in the Liberal and National Parties that'd be nice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slocombe said:

If people stopped voting in the Liberal and National Parties that'd be nice.

If people stopped getting conned into voting for them via their preference farmers UAP and One Nation, that'd also be nice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just think it's odd that some people only seem to get all riled up about free speech when someone cops flak after saying racist or homophobic stuff. Is almost like they just want freedom of speech so they are free to say stuff an asshole would say and not suffer any consequences. I mean i'm sure a lot of people are passionate about the ideals behind it but it seems like a lot of people just wanna get loud* and fight about it right after someone gets in shit for saying fucked up stuff that they agree with. Then they just get bored* of it and go back to being a jerk in private.

Edited by ZooL

On 09/08/2019 at 7:55 PM, Crop said:

Every one could simply vote on every major issue, via an app on their phone. No politicians, no lobbyists, no middlemen at all. True, direct democracy.

This idea appealed to Timothy Leary, back in the days of landline telephony. He was right, of course ... in principle. 

Personally, I wouldn't trust Big Data to count my vote on anything. Nor Big Media to promote informed decision-making in the first place. 

True democracy entails radical egalitarianism, all we have is this late-capitalist sham. 

• Like 1

Just on the whole voting via an app thing... The closest I can see to that is Jacqui Lambie, who has been using polls to guide (not decide) how she votes in Parliament.

Seems like a reasonable approach given whatever people say won't ever be completely representative.

I don't think people are engaged or informed enough that I'd support Timothy Leary's approach for day-to-day decision making.

Most, if not all of our political problems could be solved with one decisive action: ban ALL political donations. 

Then the only reason any politician has to put their name on a ballot paper is to actually serve their electorate. Rather than cosying up to donors to assure themselves a seat on a board later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1