The Corroboree
Pedro99

Quit cigs

Has anyone quit cigs through a 'spiritual' experience? Throughout the years I've quit cold turkey successfully but currently I keep giving in and going to buy some more.

I've heard of people having a life changing experience and just ditching them then and there. So yeah, how did you guys go with it? 

• Like 1

I quit ciggies one morning in 1994 when I got up, had my usual coffee and stuyvo fix, then couldn't stop throwing up. Not sure if that counts as a spiritual experience but when you can barely take a breath for air you'll certainly pray!

Mind you, I did smoke bongs with baccy afterwards as a daily religious ritual for another 11 years.

Now I understand finally why giving up smoking means I can finally actually experience tobacco's good qualities.

• Like 2

Apparently psilocybin has shown great efficacy in smoking cessation...

I quit smoking because I'm an asthmatic and like Glaukus I was dying. That and I had my future wife to help me along a clean-living path :wink: Cold turkey though for me was the avenue, but removing yourself from an environment that encourages it or is permeated by it (say hospitality) is also going to be helpful.

Edited by Responsible Choice
  • Like 1

ciggies when you're mashed is fabo......and in Europe they taste fantastic(Spain and Portugal i'm looking at you)

2 days before heart surgery:wink:

Wasn't because of it... But it wasn't helping. After having the chest cracked open I really want to avoid that shit again. My resolve was bolstered after being taken offline during that event. 

I'd been on and off a few times, of prolonged and at times pretty heavy death stick use. Kicking off when I could just walk in and buy them in my school uniform of a morning. 

I never was a user of "spin", I still don't understand that. Spin users I've noticed Really struggle to kick the things. I at one stage had two bowls on the go mine and another for my brothers from other mothers as most wouldn't tackle my bowl. 

Still use tobacco on occasion in other forms smokeless, but ciggies can just F off as far as I'm concerned ... Ciggies are the lowest form of baccy IMO served up to us here   -  if at all, with some principally just being made mostly  of "sheet".... Substituted sheet alright. 

FFS I found Indonesian ciggies as an example of being better quality than what we were, and now served up. 

Do I want one.... Yes, yes I do for I am an addict:wink: because the things did what they were designed to do. They smell like shit to me now though, decent pipe and some cigars still smell really good though and tempting as all hell.

Having as much time away from second hand smoke helps a lot, and hide /remove ashtrays :wink: 

• Like 1

hangovers are bad.  hangovers involving tobacco are VERY bad.  learn this well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I used to have an abundant supply of green ciggies but unfortunately not anymore as they were at least reducing my wanting the brown ones. 

The red glow of a cig while on a mind melter sure is something special though!

I  quit   well over  a  year  ago  and  now  I  cant  even  stand  the  smell  of  them  let  alone  the  taste, the  real  trick  is  you  have  to 100%  want  to  quit. 

For  me  environmental impact  of  the  buts  constantly  weighed  on  my  mind  and  the  fact  that  the  Government  made  so  much  money  off  me  was  the  final  straw.

Chewing  stolen  nic  gum  worked  wonders  for  the  cravings  which  I  slowly  swapped  for  normal  gum.

Good  Luck!

Whilst meditating I saw clearly (or clearer than usual) the cycle i was caught up in.

Its been about 10 years now, i can only imagine how fucked id be feeling if i hadnt taken that little thread and ran with it.

I had given patches a go previously but they just reinforced that i was a smoker trying to give up rather than someone who didnt smoke.  Took about 2 months of KBing cravings and associated thoughts for the clouds to part and the sun to come thru.

• Like 1

It's been at least a couple weeks since I stopped chugging the darts. 

I'd stopped in the past for a few years here and there and only had cravings last a week max.

This time it seems they are going to last a lot longer. 

I think Phil Load hit the nail on the head. You have to make the decision 100%. I tried many times. It was't till my first child was born that I got serious. We were travailing India with our new baby. I had several spiritual - drug induced experienced telling me now was the time. I went to an Ayurvedic doctor to see if he could help. He gave me a couple of cartons of herbal cigs, they seemed to reduce the cravings dramatically. The list of herbs in them was extensive, but about 50% was sun flower leaves. When we got back to Oz I bought a poach of rollies at the airport. My mum was growing sunflowers, which I chopped up and added to the poach as it went down. It started mostly tobacco but before long started to go the other way. That was over 20 years ago. I have never bought another cig. It was incredibly easy. Not sure if that was because the sunflower leaves or simply making the decision final. Good luck mate.