The Corroboree
eem

Microscopy and DNA workshops

I so wish I could go to both these workshops, they're both critical skills I'm missing and a colleague was telling me how great Bioquisitive is when I was at Garden States last weekend

Alas, I live nowhere near Melbs

• Like 2

will be fun.

pity you are so far away DL.

I would really love to follow a course on it online, as i just got a new microscope with dslr...

Aus is bit far for me! :lol:

• Like 1

How did the microscopy workshop go? Wish I'd been there.

Starting an informal microscopy study run today with another forum member to try and get some basic teks in hand to add to current research. Is way more daunting than I thought. Microscopy, like tissue culture and TLC, is an entire field of knowledge of it's own

First lesson is cleaning our microscopes. It's mouldy in NNSW and even the best stored scopes cop it

We're starting with the cheap-arsed compound scopes we've had for years ( USB camera, ebay ) to see how far we can push their utility before we look at the worth of saving for upgrades.

Tho good optics and lens' are important- I once used the USB camera on a 1920s microscope with immaculate optics and the results were absolutely brilliant- way better than the cheap arsed ebay one I was comparing it to

• Like 1

The workshop went really well. Very enthusiastic crowd. Everyone had a lot of fun. We'll probably keep doing them every few months.

Great to hear you're starting a study group! It is really hard to learn without someone there showing you. I managed to work out how to do squash plates from a video, but couldn't work out what other sections were being taken until someone showed me IRL and then it was pretty easy. Might be worth making some videos or something.

This book is worth checking out too. It has diagrams of microscopic features, measurements and chemical reactions https://shop.fungimap.org.au/product/larger-fungi-of-southern-australia/

And you're totally right re the optics.