The Corroboree
Pedro99

PC Pach

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a good cactus collection going and have been looking on eBay. There are a lot of pachanois in cuttings of 3-7 that are around 30cm, I've tried to read up a bit and have seen people say that most pach's you find are PCs unless otherwise stated. 

Is it true that most pach on ebay/gumtree are PCs? 

EDITED BY MOD. NO DISCUSSION ABOUT ALKALOIDS PLEASE.

Edited by Pedro99

Hey mate, there's all kinds of Trichocereus around and not all are PC. If in doubt just post them here and we're happy to help with the identification. Close up photos are important though. Blurry group pics are usually not good enough. 

Ps: no discussion about alkaloids please. :wink:

Didn't want to start a new topic hopefully someone sees this. 

I got these pach cuttings today, the package took ages to come which sucks because there's mould all over the end cuts. Can anyone suggest how to approach this? My guess is because the end were still wet some of that fungus will have been absorbed into the cactus. Also I think it's a pc but not sure. 

IMG20190507130321_50p.jpg

IMG20190507130257_50p.jpg

IMG20190507130335_50p.jpg

IMG20190507130321_50p.thumb.jpg.5774f0180ba74be72ca846a02170a10c.jpg

IMG20190507130257_50p.thumb.jpg.7501eaba6e17d6678d4dda47543499b7.jpg

IMG20190507130335_50p.thumb.jpg.9ebf52d760f01decc80019b268e4b23c.jpg

IMG20190507130321_50p.thumb.jpg.5774f0180ba74be72ca846a02170a10c.jpg

IMG20190507130257_50p.thumb.jpg.7501eaba6e17d6678d4dda47543499b7.jpg

IMG20190507130335_50p.thumb.jpg.9ebf52d760f01decc80019b268e4b23c.jpg

They should be okay, just leave them out to dry a bit before planting. The mold often occurs from the plants perspiring in their postal packaging, making things moist. Leave them somewhere dry with fresh air and they will be fine. I guess if the green flesh turns black and goes soft then you'll probably have to chop the rotting part off, but it looks unlikely that that will happen. It does look like PC as well. 

Great, thanks for the info holymountain. :)

Might try to use these for my first grafting attempts.

Yeah it sux when people don't package properly. A scrunched up piece of newspaper in each end is MANDATORY IMO. (to stop mould). And no, bubblewrap does not work for this, it makes things much worse!

Pedro, yes, your cuts look like PC, an excellent place to learn the ropes mind you. Most people eventually buy themselves a bag of sulphur powder to dust fresh cuts and kill mould and fungi. (it also treats spider mites on plants and bird mites on chooks among other things). It would probably even work to kill dandruff and athelete's foot (both are caused by fungi). Anyway, there's plenty of uses for it and it's a bit of a must-have once you start getting into cacti.

I'm still using the very first bag I ever bought, about 5kg for about $40. They called it 'Agricultural sulphur'  or 'non-wettable sulphur' because it doesn't mix with water easily.  I got it from a 'farm supplies' shop. There are many of these shops in existence but you may have never been to one depending on where you live. They are great shops to go to. 

You can also get a more expensive version from bunnings in a much smaller packets. One I bought once was called Mancozeb, which was half wettable sulphur, half some sulphur-rich-molecule. You're supposed to mix it with water and spray it, but you can also just use it as powder.

Anyway, if you trawl though the threads you'll find most of us use sulphur powder to dust our cuts and treat mould and rot etc.

Good luck mate :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Sweet Halcyon, thanks for the tips! I already had ordered some sulphur off eBay, only 400 grams though, I'll check out some stores when that starts to get low. Got some bridgesii cuts in the mail yesterday and they've developed some black spots on the cuts so the sooner I get some sulphur the better.

Sulfur powder is great. The local feed store sells a 5 pound bag of 98% for $5(us). I’ve found the 98% to be much more fine powder than the 90%.

I use it religiously. Very good to finely dust grafts with it after you’ve pressed them together

• Like 2

I have a PC Pach that is about 10 years old, approx 4 meters high and been cut back to the base a couple of times. I just noticed spines between half an inch and a inch long for the first 12 inches from the base, with the rest of the plant having short spines, is this normal.

never seen spines that long on a PC. though the spines can become longer and more pronounced on PC under certain conditions. i have some PC cuts that have been abused and neglected and they look very different to the mother plant the cutting came from.

• Like 1