The Corroboree
Alchemica

Tagetes lucida

Tagetes lucida

IMG_20190421_125625.thumb.jpg.f55f078ee40f0d3ba20d5ae7a0931ee8.jpg

IMG_20190425_072349.thumb.jpg.c700d00702da941d2ecaa527993ca4e1.jpg

As the last one from my garden I enjoyed over the last growing season, aiming to spread the love of this plant to 3 people this year who want to grow it with some free seed (No TAS/WA). Post a reply and I'll get back to you once seed is soon harvested. Once again, I'm just going by the way I've harvested seed from other Tagetes like patula. Hope it's the same.

It has a rich spiritual background of traditional use with anti-anxiety and sedative-like properties

It's been said to be "vitally important to use very fresh leaves" and experimenters state a dose of 2,000 mg - most participants felt no need to increase the dosage further to “...creates a ‘lucid’ state which can be appreciated in a number of ways: listening to music, contemplating, grooving, introspection, communication, etc. Some of the effects noted are: clarity, alertness, closed-eye visuals, body warmth, body tingles, feeling of well-being, and some time-distortion. The period of alteration lasted 2 to 3 hours in most cases and there was no interference with sleeping afterwards, although many reported increased dreaming (sometimes with weird content).” [1]

It is used historically in religious ceremonies including Huichol Indians who ceremonially smoke it with Mapacho and it is also used with other sacred plant medicines [2,3]

T. lucida is recommended for treating emotional and nervous disorders, often as part of a mixture with other anxiolytic plants [4]

Mexican traditional medicine prescribes T. lucida for “nervios” and “susto”, two culture-bound syndromes described as illnesses characterized by a “state of bodily and mental unrest” able to decrease the ability to achieve daily goals and as a condition of being frightened and “chronic somatic suffering stemming from emotional trauma”

"It is used for producing a fragrant smoke (sahumar) to ritually clean houses of evil spirits. The use in sweat baths (temazcal) and for ritual cleansing (“limpias”) are related"

Anxiolytic and sedative-like activities through 5-HT1A and GABA/BZD receptors possibly through 6,7,8-trimethoxycoumarin (dimethylfraxetin). Other coumarins have also been reported from the species, such as herniarine (7-methoxycoumarin), scoparone (6,7-dimethoxycoumarin), and the dimethyl allyl ether of 7-hydroxy-coumarin, umbelliferone, esculetin and scopoletin along with flavonoids, some of them with known anxiolytic-like activity, have been reported in polar extracts of this species. Significant anxiolytic-like response effects were found in animal models from 10 mg/kg onward of the aqueous extract

An influence on serotonergic neurotransmission by T. lucida was also reported in the antidepressant effects which were likely the result of modulation of serotonin reuptake/release, dependent on 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A receptors. There is not only a significant involvement of the serotonin neurotransmission in the mechanisms of central effects of this species, but also GABAergic participation [5]

It is is a source of phenylpropanoid EOs: "at least four chemotypes can exist, characterized by the main presence of (a) high levels of (E)-anethole (up to 74%) and low to very low levels of methyl chavicol (11.57%) or methyleugenol (1.8%), and germacrene D; (B) high levels of methyl chavicol (up to 97%), in addition to methyleugenol, methylisoeugenol, and germacrene D; © high levels of methyl eugenol (up to 80%), in addition to methylchavicol and methylisoeugenol; and (d) high amounts of nerolidol (around 40%), in addition to methyleugenol, methylchavicol, and caryophyllene oxide"

[1] https://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/mexican-tarragon-tagetes-lucida.html
[2] https://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/…/jahg_spring_2017_…
[3] http://entheology.com/plants/tagetes-lucida-marigolds/
[4] https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/23/11/2847/pdf
[5] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26873624

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 3

Hey Alchemia!!!

I would love to add some of these beauties to my garden!!

They sound very interesting, a plant worth having by the sounds of it,  a good deal of info you have there!!

Many Blessings,

Mango

• Like 1

Hi Alchemica, Id be interested in some seeds if still available.

Peace H

• Like 1

Also interested :) tried growing this once before but couldn't get any to germinate

• Like 1

would also love some seed from this amazing plant, if still avalible

Said three people but I'll likely have enough to send with the next lot of Roselle @superdan

Thanks all for the interest.

• Thanks 1

First lots have been sent out and received with a couple of people trying the herb too.  If they have any experiences with the plant feel free to let us know.

Sorry to be a pain @Humbolt but I'm not comfortable sending to Tas/WA these days (thought I put that in but must have not)

So @Paradoxical I'll send some seeds for you

More on the plant: In traditional medicine, it has been said the herb "alleviates crazy people and those astonished and frightened by thunder". While a simple tea was claimed not to work, 2g dried and powdered, administered with juice was found effective, or a fresh alcohol tincture (Lazar, 2002 via The Garden of Eden)

In other sources " The infusion of one bundle with water makes two to three cups of an aromatic tea, a sufficient dosage to produce profound stimulating and aphrodisiac effects" [1]

It has featured in snuff blends "...the Tagetes herb clears thinking, relieves tension, aids emotional control" and a fermented tea, which is prepared the same way Sinicuichi (Heimia salicifolia) is prepared [2].

May have more seeds too soon

Edited by Alchemica

No worries @Alchemica, will know to bypass any seed offers from you in the future.  

Peace H

• Like 1

Got leftovers of seed if anyone else wants some (No WA/Tas) send me a PM.

1388263979_IMG_20190528_1905231.thumb.jpg.d3f2caf4316be71dcaeabb8fd4165884.jpg

• Like 4

Nice giveawayB), i'll pm you