The Corroboree
Amazonian

Plant Swap Melbourne EGA

Hey fellow SABers, :) just a heads up that at the upcoming EGA on Sunday, May the 12th,  there will be an opportunity for us to have a plant swap and catch up as a community. 

The Plant swap will be held in the garden space just to the side of the Springvale city hall and will take place during the lunch break of the symposium, 1pm to 2pm.  Word is there will be some outdoor furniture and coffee cart on the lawn also to keep us caffeinated.

People are welcome to bring legal trades to share with the community, plants, seeds, cultures etc to trade/swap with each other and exchange plant knowledge and cultivation tips in a hands on fashion. It's a non-commercial trade space so please keep that in mind and bring goods to swap or give away, not sell for profit.

As a general rule, if you haven’t been to a plant swap before, it’s not a free for all, you need to communicate with the plant holder/owner before you take ownership of any goods as it may be earmarked for someone else, or may have  been traded already that day. Common courtesy is the key :) you SABers know this already.  But yes maybe bring some free plants to give to newbies – that's always a good idea. It might be some people's first plant swap/rodeo, so let's lead by example and initiate some new blood into the art of plant swapping.

If you don’t have anything to swap, you're still welcome to join in, there’s always something to learn and see and some cool and knowledgable people to meet. Also please let others know about the happening. 

So join us in the garden, common plant heads, grab yourself an EGA ticket, get engrossed in informative lectures, learn something new from workshops, check out the stalls, attend the plant swap, meet like-minded people, engage in exciting conversations and let make a great day of it this May :) 

Check out the EGA webpage for more info about the day as well as review the fantastic plant head program - www.entheogenesis.org/garden_states_2019

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Amazonian said:
Hey fellow SABers, :) just a heads up that at the upcoming EGA on Sunday, May the 12th,  there will be an opportunity for us to have a plant swap and catch up as a community.

Woohoo! I love these things, thanks Amz and Ronny!

Yes do check in with the plant's current owners when selecting your new babies, is only polite. Also for newbies- some species do require extra care in different climates and the original cultivators may be able to increase it's chance of survival

Plus time spent talking to plant people is rarely wasted

Can't wait to see you all there!

• Like 1

Hey, I will see you all at this for sure, It's so good to see the community come together for this one.

Nice work Amz, and hope to see you and many other SAB plant heads mothers day.

• Like 1

I should also mention that the plant swap area is located near the main car park for easy access and storage. :) 

• Like 2

Imma bring some small single-use tubes of NNSW mushrooms to help people start their edible culture libraries

Dunno what I want to swap em for yet

This will be fun :D

• Like 3

If anyone is interested in free (or trade) mineral mix and I also have a bag of screened topsoil (free from organic matter & fertilisers) please contact me ASAP as I bought more than I can use or store and would prefer it went to a good home rather than being needlessly dumped. I have roughly 70kg in total so take as little or as much as you want. The minerals are crushed granite, sandstone & bluestone. Each are separate so you can mix at your own proportions for either soilless mineral only or a mineral mix with soil. It took me a while to source this mix around Melbourne based on the Xerophillia: The Stone Eaters and I bought more than I'll ever need since they sell everything by the 20kg bag. If you want more info I've posted pics and everything here: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46223-melb-vic-creating-a-soilless-mineral-only-mix-or-20-soil-mix-based-on-xerophillia-the-stone-eaters/

If I could potentially trade or give away this stuff before sometime in the next few weeks before the EGA plant swap I'd be most grateful as it's kinda heavy to lug out there. Failing that if you're still keen and live too far away from me  & would like me to bring it out to the EGA plant swap (I live in the eastern suburbs bout half hour from from CBD), then shoot me a message with your details.

• Like 1

Might bring a few lophs. And shiitake prints!

This should be one fun day out, and Yes, I am totally bringing my plant loving mum along.

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Like 2

Orright, bringing some Pleurotus djamor ( Pink Oyster mushroom ) cultures isolated from wild NNSW fruit, they're pretty hardy for much of the year here

And some local NNSW Hericium coralloides ( Coral Mushroom ) cultures

And a few Pycnoporus sp.cultures I isolated from fruit across the road. I dunno why. No idea how to use them medicinally yet. I think I just like their potential, even in bush regeneration

They'll all be in 1.5ml single use tubes, store in the fridge well for quite some time

• Like 2

But bring what ya got. It doesn't need to be the flashest thing ever. You got stuff to share, bring it!

Plenty of gardens ( including mine ) lost heapsa species during the dry. Geez, I even lost the bloody choko vine, my Hemia, basil, cornflower. Veggie patch is full of weird holes from missing species that carked it over summer

Lots of people starting their collections too, more'n a few here have lost species moving house/ relocating

If you've got cuttings, seedlings, seeds or interesting garden related things like the screened topsoil- just bring it!

Is always a surprise what people want at plant swaps, which is half the fun

• Like 2

Getting closer! I’m all geared up for this event. I hope to see some new faces ( and  familiar faces) at  EGA this year  :) 

• Like 1

Hopefully my spores will be ready in time! :wink::innocent_n:

• Like 2

You just never know who might crash this plant meet ;-)

• Like 1

I must say I was surprised at the turn out of the Plant Swap. Since there wasn’t much response in this thread I was unsure of how it would go, but it was a success ! . Lots of people and lots of plants, impressive plants too!. Thank you to all those who participated in this and made it what it was  :) 

There was expressions of interest in the Melbourne plant meets we have so I’ll make a post in that thread and see if we can get a date together . 

• Like 2

EGA Plant Swap was lovely chaos in the best kind of way! So many people, everyone was respectful of the social bond around the sharing, people without things to swap were respectful and many of these people walked away laden with plants and with all parties happy.

A few very generous people ( I have no idea who, so shout out if it was you ) turned up with HEAPS of plants to share, which got shared, and I hope they found some of the species which needed them too

People milled, plants vanished, moar plants appeared, it was a whirl

Did not get enough time to be properly helpful or even see who was around and what was moving, I got to talk to a few lovely individuals about mycocultures I bought with me and got sidetracked, sorry Amz and team

Many thanks to @Amazonian for co-ordinating this and also for keeping the vibe cool and stopping entropy in the face of utter chaos

Many thanks to lovely EGA crew for allowing the space to happen

• Like 2

On 15/05/2019 at 7:47 PM, Amazonian said:

I must say I was surprised at the turn out of the Plant Swap. Since there wasn’t much response in this thread I was unsure of how it would go, but it was a success ! . Lots of people and lots of plants, impressive plants too!. Thank you to all those who participated in this and made it what it was  :) 

There was expressions of interest in the Melbourne plant meets we have so I’ll make a post in that thread and see if we can get a date together . 

Well, we better get ready to do it all again next May. Just a quick FYI, we will be running Garden States on the 9th of May in 2020 (the day before Mothers Day).

So hope to see you all again then for sure. 

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RonnySimulacrum said:

Just a quick FYI, we will be running Garden States on the 9th of May in 2021 (the day before Mothers Day).

So hope to see you all again then for sure. 

That works for me :) 

• Like 2

Opps, Sorry Amazonian, I got my year mix up, it should have said May 9th 2020, the EGA outdoor will be Late 2021.

My Bad ;-)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RonnySimulacrum said:

Opps, Sorry Amazonian, I got my year mix up, it should have said May 9th 2020, the EGA outdoor will be Late 2021.

My Bad ;-)

Lol, I never even looked at the year! I automatically assumed 2020. 

I’m  looking forward to it. I’m already promoting it to my mates :) 

• Like 3