The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Hey gang,

I haven’t been around much, due to my life taking a weird turn since early 2018.

Thanks to some members/ex-members, I ended up involved in some cryptocurrency related social media networks. At first this was just steemit, where the delight at finally earning anything from my writing quickly turned to anger at how comprehensively the system was stacked against anyone other than certain elites (and the people who kiss their rings).

Then I got involved in a Chinese social network start-up called ONO. The exact how and why I can’t publicly reveal as I still like to pretend I’m semi-anonymous here. But I can confirm that I was sucked in by promises around the supposed ethics of how that enterprise was supposed to run. I later hoped that my deep moral disappointment might at least be offset by some marginal monetary gain. But that hasn’t panned out either thus far. What was sold to me as an experiment in decentralisation, freedom and community self-governance was really an experiment in cost-cutting, worker exploitation and the cynical pursuit of investment capital.

Through it all, I’ve come to think that social media that incentivises user activities is often pretty toxic, and that when that incentive has/is a monetary component, the negative impact potentially increases. I also suspect some (though not all) cryptocurrencies and related projects are result of lassiez faire fantasies that involve little regard for the environment or the mental/spiritual wellbeing of other humans.

The whole experience of being that interested in money has allowed me to acquire some interesting new skills, not to mentions some new friends (my fellow disaffected travellers). I’ve also found some new directions for writing that I’m trying very hard to pursue. 

But it has left me feeling hollowed out, disillusioned and disconnected. 

I remember some years ago hearing @Horus tell another member to be careful what you give your energy to. Different situation, but I really understand this now. 

I wasn’t ready to talk about this last time I saw anyone. Not that I think this is a big deal. One great thing about meeting up with fellow SAB members is that talking about everything in your life is not mandatory. In my experience, talking at all is optional depending on where you are at, and that's as it should be.

Now I just need to relax and reconnect, and stop confusing what I think is worth saying with what people will (or won’t) pay me to say.

• Like 8

I was only thinking about you this morning as I finished a book: "Yeti would like this I think":  Stephen Baxter - Time.  Has some Attanasio parallels but I won't say too much.

Glad you're hanging in there (and love the way your avatar is always evolving).

• Like 2

Thanks @Glaukus

Hey @SayN speaking of that, I really should get those books back to you some time! 

• Like 1

No hurry.  As long as you haven't pawned them to fund your habit. :lol:  I'll send you some more (including Time) if you enjoyed them.  PM me your address.

• Like 2

Hey mate. Glad you're still doin the do. More money more problems homie. :(

What you say around the traps is considered to be worth a lot by quite a few cool kids here though. Keep it coming I say! :)

• Like 3