The Corroboree
Scarlet Dragon

Advice for a Short Visit DownUnder?

Any suggestions for activities for this enthneo-shaman in Australia? I will be in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast in the middle of April and would love to see some special plants and maybe acquire seed. I will be busy with a fundraising group from India that I work for but would love to sneak away for some visits to sacred plants. I live in US & India but I treasure my chances to visit Australia.

• Like 1

It's a fair way out of Melbourne but Cactus Country in Strathmerton Victoria is worth going out of your way for.

In Sydney, the Royal National Park and the Blue Mountains are pretty great places to visit.

The hinterland of the Gold Coast is nice too, probably a little late by April to see any mushrooms though.

If you know where you're staying you could always legally order some cuts of Australian cacti off ebay.  I'm not saying you should do so with the intention of tripping over and having them accidentally land in a saucepan as that would be illegal but accidents happen ya know :rolleyes:  You might also be able to put them in your suitcase or ship them back home depending on how much you're willing to suffer with border security and outrageous postage prices but seeds will absolutely not be a problem whatsoever.  You can order tons of seeds off ebay, facebook groups and a few dedicated sites like Shaman Australis or trichocereus.com.au and as long as they're clearly labeled and you declare them they'll be allowed out of the country. 

April is typically good time for dendrophilic mushrooms in the Blue Mountains, which are outside of Sydney. Dawson's and Field's gardens, outside of Melbourne, are historic. SAB nursery deserves a plug of course, which is nearish to the Gold Coast. Not sure where the Chisar's cactus garden will be in April - either near the SAB nursery, or if it hasn't moved yet, outside of Melbourne.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote

Lots of great tips, thanks! How do I find the SAB nursery? That sounds particularly worth the effort. I will be staying at large venue halls and trailer parks (including sleeping in a classroom at a Sydney High School) so I'm not sure how to get a deliverable mailing address but I'll work on that one. Of course getting anything back to the US is a big challenge so maybe I'll just enjoy what I can while there and leave it at that.