The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Spiky Mc Cactus Face

Inducing polyploidy with Oryzalin, anybody tried it?

Hi everyone 

Lately i have been playing round with some of my pedros trying to induce forced mutations via placing the cactus under stress unusually to see how the cactus will react to try and over come it. Iv been meaning to post about it but i think i got about zillion pictures to upload but bugger all data. But mostly the conclusion ends the same cactus is intelligent on so many levels and altho you can induce something weird for a short time it always overcomes and reverts back to regular growth. Occasionally you get something cool tho and iv actually lernt alot throu the experience.

Anyways, got lost in thoughts last night and knowing people have induced polyploidy in other plants with the treatment of seeds with Oryzalin (gout treatment in humans believe it or not...or was at one point im not 100%) was wondering if any one has given it ago yet. If not might be a worth while experiment to try.

Think it works by either adding to or subtracting from the chromosome count of the plant or something, either way you get lots weird shit going on. 

And ill end with a quick pic of one my experiments 

1547331977176-1826521137.jpg

1547331977176-1826521137.thumb.jpg.28ad4b86117d35734db77677cc9d8ad8.jpg

1547331977176-1826521137.thumb.jpg.28ad4b86117d35734db77677cc9d8ad8.jpg

About 20-30 years ago we experimented with cannabis, did not have deformed growth but accelerated the growth of plants 2 x to 3x of growth, tried soaking seeds, adding to nutrients, and also injecting it into plants, all worked at different levels cant remember what worked best. The weed was unsmokeable afterwards as it was thought to promote cancer, you would want to put a warning on anything you played with that might be ingested, also the seeds of the next gen show accelerated growth as well.

About the only thing that changes a plant i know of is colloidal silver if you put it on a female plant will change some of the female flowers to male so you can self fertilise and all seeds will be female, AKA feminised seeds.

• Like 1

Actually gotta correct my self "colchicine" is whats used to treat gout but still induces polyploidy

Yeah heard the same story, i know bloke who was doing the same thing years ago (1970). But he got like a crested form (weird twisty flat stem with strange looking floweres) amongst others things, told me you couldn't somke the first batch but to grow the seeds from it.

He occasionly got a throw back now an again normally just a branch sometimes an entire plant it looked alien. Shame he passed a few years back

Iv got no interest in selling them if i do an experiment, maybe if they flower and produce seed and i would definitely be sure to lable them. 

Im not sure what colloidal silver would do as trich fowers are like maphrodites in a sense can produce pollen and receive but self steril......gets me thinking tho 

• Like 1

Hmmm read that nicotine sulphate has the potential of cause doubling of chromosomes. Wonder if its easy as it sounds, salting nicotine with sulphuric acid.....

:blink: 

I just realized its another reason i did not want to hear to give up my enjoyable smoking habits but any way

Back to the point, this might be the go due to the ease of availability to nicotine these days (thank you vape trend), and maybe be the safest, natural, vegen way of doing things 

Use the search engine

I see at least half a dozen threads on Oryzalin and other mutagens

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cant remember mutant growth, do remember some just growing to quick and stringy twisted crap that had to be cut off.

Colloidal silver breaks down the membrane of the cell causing change, it works on all cells.

What you describe is crossing blah people crossing plants or pollen chucking with out a plan of what their trying to achieve,  they form a bud like structure with hundreds of leaves no or few resin glands flat stems.

18 minutes ago, Gimli said:

Use the search engine

I see at least half a dozen threads on Oryzalin and other mutagens

I know i had a look i couldn't really find anybody who has actually done it other than thought about it, i didnt see any mentions of nicotine sulphate either but lots of other interesting compounds to research for options, thank you. 

Im just looking for something thats easily accessible to accomplish it with out having to jump through hoops,  fake having gout, depriving someone of there medication or trying to buy prescription durgs illegally 

Looks like others have played with lophs thou i do admit.

19 minutes ago, greenechidna said:

I cant remember mutant growth, do remember some just growing to quick and stringy twisted crap that had to be cut off.

Colloidal silver breaks down the membrane of the cell causing change, it works on all cells.

What you describe is crossing blah people crossing plants or pollen chucking with out a plan of what their trying to achieve,  they form a bud like structure with hundreds of leaves no or few resin glands flat stems.

Your right 

His stuff was a mix of all sorts, i know what your saying. But polly trates are passed on through generations it becomes a resessive trate. When the genetics match just right it throws a pacictular phenotype in this case

The bloke im was talking about was my own father. I seen this weird growth my self, several times in my young teens when he used to do his thing. He called them pollys, i asked him why. Reply was "well i used have this friend who worked in a university an he gave me this little jar of stuff...blah blah bla this, was one of the results and it comes back sometimes, proceeds to point out other polly resessive trates that still show through. Weird leaf structures, stem shapes, growth patterns ect.

Maybe different genetics produce different results.

Anyways back on topic 

Anybody wanna go splits/shares in 10L of 500g/1L Oryzalin solution (prolan 500 herbicide), total cost $350

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142699516542

Scares the shit out of me this stuff is getting sprayed around...definitely gonna be eating organic grapes from now on