The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
waterboy 2.0

Festival Death

Man dies after taking 'unknown substance' at Lost Paradise music festival

10674152-16x9-xlarge.jpg?v=2
VIDEOPolice 'frustrated' by drug use at Lost Paradise festival

A man is dead and two people are in hospital after taking an unknown substance at the Lost Paradise music festival, west of Gosford.

The 22-year-old, from the Brisbane suburb of Toowong, died in Gosford Hospital about 8pm last night after attending the Glenworth Valley event.

Lost Paradise began on Friday and has attracted a crowd of more than 11,000 people.

NSW Police said a man and woman remain in a stable condition in hospital after they took an unknown substance and became sick.

Fifty people have been handed court attendance notices for drug possession, despite police working with organisers for months prior to the event to ensure a strict "drug-free" policy was enforced.

Three people have been charged with drug supply offences, including a 21-year-old Sydney man who was allegedly caught with over 100 MDMA pills and a 23-year-old man who allegedly had 80 MDMA pills and 65 bags of cocaine.

Event 'strictly drug-free', say organisers

In a statement, a Lost Paradise spokeswoman said the incident was "very distressing" and extended sincerest thoughts and condolences to the family of the deceased.

"Lost Paradise is a strictly drug-free event that is about celebrating life, love and nature in a fun, safe and welcoming environment," they said.

"A great deal of planning and effort goes into ensuring the safety and welfare of our festival-goers and event staff."

The organisers said they worked closely with local police to make sure revellers respected the drug-free policy.

NSW Ambulance also provided extensive medical support across the site, they added.

"This year, we have also engaged DanceWize NSW, a NUAA program that is funded by the NSW Ministry of Health to educate people on the implications of drug use, and offer peer support and health resources," the statement said.

Police reveal bizarre smuggling methods

Acting Superintendent Rod Peet described planning for the event as "extensive" and insisted the police resources deployed there were adequate.

Police have been searching cars and belongings as people enter the grounds and used drug dogs to detect illegal substances.

But Acting Supt Peet said the methods people were using to smuggle drugs in were becoming very sophisticated.

"People aren't carrying it in their pockets — they aren't that careless — they are quite calculated in the way they are secreting things," he said.

Some revellers used a Vegemite jar with a secret compartment to hide their stash, while modified aerosol cans have also turned up.

"On one instance, certainly someone was quite determined, someone inserted drugs into the stuffing of a barbecue chicken," Acting Supt Peet said.

"I commend my police on their tenacity to search that thoroughly. That is the extent we're going to to insulate this event from drug use."

Acting Supt Peet said police met with organisers this morning and agreed the festival would continue, but hinted at possible changes in the future.

"It's a tragic event and there will be ramifications, one way or another, for the credibility of the event."

A crowd at a music festival
IMAGELost Paradise festival organisers said the event had a strict drug-free policy.(Supplied: Lost Paradise)

Death follows harsher punishments for suppliers

The incident follows the deaths of two young revellers at the Defqon1 festival in Sydney in September, which triggered a fiery reaction from NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian who initially threatened to shut the event down.

An expert panel was set up to investigate the problem of drug use at music festivals and the Government in October announced a new offence for dealers who supply substances that kill people.

The maximum punishment for the new offence is 25 years in jail.

However, debate about whether pill testing would be a more effective measure continues to swirl despite the Government's opposition to it as an alternative to the "zero tolerance" drug policy.

Pill testing was not considered by the expert panel and Ms Berejiklian has repeatedly argued it would be akin to giving the "green light" for revellers to take substances.

Pill testing advocates reissued their push for a rethink following the Lost Paradise death, including the Take Control organisation, which was launched by drug and alcohol treatment provider the Ted Noffs Foundation.

Spokesman Matt Noffs said the "just say no" strategy had failed and urged the Premier to listen to evidence about pill testing.

A sign that reads Lost Disco
IMAGELost Paradise festival organisers describe the event as "a celebration of life, love and nature".(Supplied: Lost Paradise)

"Young people can get drugs easily, but don't know what they are taking," Mr Noffs said.

Long-time pill testing advocate and Greens MP David Shoebridge said politics was failing young people.

"Young people want practical advice, real time accurate information and a government that helps them keep safe, not one who's only plan is to lecture and punish them," he said.

The NSW Opposition has pledged to hold a drugs summit if it wins next year's state election, involving not only parents of young revellers but ambulance officers, police and clinicians.

Leader Michael Daley said pill testing should not be off the table.

"If you're going to hold a drug summit and you're going to say you'll listen to the experts, you can't shut one door to them," he said.

"We'll look at all options."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-30/lost-paradise-music-festival-death/10674004

Have a safe festive run folks.... 

Know what your shit is, and how to dose, and what not to mix. 

• Sad 2

I think that’s the problem, you never know what shit you’re getting.

If the government actually wanted to help people they’d set up a drug testing lab which provides reports along with analysis of different pills and substances and posts them on a website so you’d at least have some basic idea of what it could be.

we all know prohibition simply doesn’t work. Education and information helps people make the right choices. 

is there any sort of drug testing in Australia where people can send samples?

Edited by Caster

"Strictly drug-free festival"... Am I the only person that feels that statement is fucking ridiculous? How the fuck do you 'strictly' ensure that???!:huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

saw this today, pretty sad.

I hate the politicization of some persons death, but I hope this sends a warning sign to the current NSW government that if they keep pushing the same message along with their steadfast refusal to acknowledge the facts, that kids will continue to die and their blood is on their hands.

• Like 1

https://ez-test.com.au

Is one avenue a punter could pursue prior to going to a festy.

Easy , cheap , relatively accurate to some degree and completely anonymous - alot of head/herb shops have them or just order online.

never score anything from a festy unless you are 100% sure of the source.

plan your festy just like any trip -set, setting etc,  ie get organised and get your catnip BEFORE you get there.

never carry any druggas for you or anyone else and...... time your roll.

https://www.harmreductionaustralia.org.au

Look up David Caldicott and pill testing if you want to learn abit more about this cool guy - saw him at the last indoor ega in Melbz.

Yes our laws are archaic and need changing

-yes, young and old all go to festy's and not all but some wanna drop something to enhance their fun - that's not new........so be proactive.

Be smart, look after your selves and others around you.

This stuff won't go away until authorities 'suck it up' and admit people like drugs, can be responsible about their use and until they change the rules to reflect this - it's going to happen time and time again.

hope that made some sense - it is the funny season and right now i'm pretty funny as i try to articulate my thoughts regarding this matter.

Have fun and stay safe peeps

• Like 7

I was working HR at Lost Paradise when this all went down. People learned what had happened via the media, but staff weren't allowed to tell punters about the death, even if they were seeking harm reduction advice. I understand not wanting to create panic, but the restriction of information still pissed me off...

• Like 1

On 30/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, Caster said:

I think that’s the problem, you never know what shit you’re getting.

If the government actually wanted to help people they’d set up a drug testing lab which provides reports along with analysis of different pills and substances and posts them on a website so you’d at least have some basic idea of what it could be.

we all know prohibition simply doesn’t work. Education and information helps people make the right choices. 

is there any sort of drug testing in Australia where people can send samples?

Drug testing kits are available to buy otc and/or online.  They are quite cheap too, around $15.

27 minutes ago, mr b.caapi said:

Drug testing kits are available to buy otc and/or online.  They are quite cheap too, around $15.

To my knowledge they are a bit more vague than the reports you can get from proper testing centres but for sure they're a heap better than nothing! give you some idea of what is in those pills. I have a feeling though a lot of these people who go out and end up taking random pills buy them on site maybe, and probably wouldn't have the prior thought to send off samples or even buy a test kit unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Reagent tests are only indicative - you need expensive technology like GCMS to be sure about the contents of your product. Making these services available at festivals could encourage sellers to provide safer products.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wile E. Peyote said:

Reagent tests are only indicative - you need expensive technology like GCMS to be sure about the contents of your product. Making these services available at festivals could encourage sellers to provide safer products.

I think this is the best method of harm reduction, I once saw a video of a festival where this was undertaken and I was blown away by how awesome it was, they also had a support tent for people having a difficult time which was great.

I think these things should be standard. We need to lose the stigma of drug use, humans are pleasure seeking animals and no matter how many laws or bad words are said about substances people will always take them regardless. 

• Like 2

On 30/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

The death follows reforms in NSW that mean anyone who supplies a substance that kills someone can spend up to 25 years in jail

So if someone ODs on pure coke in a club, the dealer faces 25 years?